‹ Prequel: Just Friends
Sequel: Where'd You Go
Status: Complete. <3

With You

With You

“Mom! Have you seen my purple skinnies?”

“Mom! Do you know where I put my homework?”

I let out a long, stressed out sigh and typed vigorously to finish up my email before replying to any of my callings. I clicked send and I turned around on my stool.

“Jeans are in the dryer! Homework's on the counter!”

Paige is sixteen and Blaine is thirteen. Yeah, Rob and I had another kid. After miscarrying and having a premature baby...call us crazy, but Blaine came out fine. Right on time, everything. Both kids have Rob's brown eyes; Blaine has his hair, Paige has mine. Both are going to be tall. Thank God they won't carry after me.

As far as personality, Paige is just like her dad. Easy going, not a much of talker, prefers to stay back and relax. She started 'playing' the drums when she was maybe three. Now she's pretty good. Any instrument can be played by her. She's artistic, smart, and definitely Daddy's little girl.

Blaine's hot-tempered, loud, anxious, and ambitious. Sounds like me, doesn't it? He's always messing with stuff, taking it apart and putting it back together. He likes music too, but he's got more of thing for cars and stuff like that. He's smart too, but maybe sometimes too smart for his own good.

Paige walked into the kitchen, nothing but legs and arms. She was always going to be thin, because of being premature. She sat down on the stool at the counter, putting on her best innocent face. I braced myself.

"Mom, can I get a tattoo?"

"No."

"Why? You have one."

"I didn't get mine until I was thirty-two," I explained, looking up at her. "I think you can wait."

"But—"

"Who had to deal with Dad when you got your nose pierced?"

Her response was reluctant. "You..."

"Exactly. And you decided to become Jewish and..."

"You're not supposed to have any tattoos..." Paige pouted and then brightened. "Can I change religions?" she asked hopefully.

"No!" I barked.

"But, technically you're Christian and..."

"Paige..." She shut her mouth; she knew when she was testing me. "Maybe if you still feel that way in a few years..." I said. "Though that won't make your grandparents very happy."

Of course, we were talking about Rob's parents. Mine—or mostly my mother—had little to do with our kids. Paige and Blaine got money every Christmas and Dad called them on their birthdays, but that was about it.

I scowled at the thought and tapped harshly on the calculator buttons.

"Mom!" We could hear Blaine running around upstairs and then down the stairs, sounding like a heard of elephants. "Mom!"

"What?" I shouted, mimicking him, as he hurled himself into the kitchen, shaggy brown hair askew as usual.

"Can I go to Cory's house?"

"Did you clean your room?" I asked without looking up from my bills. I already knew the answer.

"Ye—"

"Blaine."

"No."

"Then, you know my answer."

The door opened and Blaine's head swiveled around. "Dad! Can I go to Cory's house?"

"What's your mother's answer?" Rob called back and Paige and I started laughing. Blaine scowled and plopped down on the stool beside his sister.

Rob appeared in the kitchen. He'd kept his hair short after Paige was born, never letting it getting as long as it had. He'd stayed clean-shaven too. Apparently, the responsibilities of fatherhood had gotten to him. "Her answer was 'no', I'm guessing?" he asked with a smile, seeing Blaine's pout.

"You're supposed to have my back," our son protested.

"I do. Just not against your mother."

"You're over a foot taller than her," Blaine stated bluntly.

"And what's that supposed to me?" I inquired, quirking an eyebrow at him.

He shrank back. "Nothing." Rob chuckled and walked to my side. I looked up at him and he kissed me. "Ew!" Blaine shouted, covering his eyes.

Paige smacked him in the back of the head. "Shut up." She looked at us and smiled. "I think its cute when old people aren't afraid to show they love each other."

"Old people?" Rob and I asked simultaneously.

Paige swallowed. "I'm going to leave," she said and quickly got up from her seat.

"I am the coolest mom around," I defended. "Your friends all say so."

Paige came around the counter and hugged me. "I know. You are the coolest mom."

"Don't kiss up to me for calling us old."

Paige switched to Rob. "I love you, Daddy."

"Hey," I said. "Get out of here." I kicked her in the butt.

"Ow!"

"See. An 'old person' isn't that flexible," I said with a smirk.

She stuck her tongue out at me and left the kitchen. Blaine still sat, glaring at us. Rob and I looked at each other before he put his hands on the sides of my face and gave me a kiss. A very hot one.

"You guys are so gross!" Blaine shouted and ran from the kitchen.

"Knew that would work," Rob sighed, leaning against the counter.

I giggled. "How was your day?" I asked.

"Good. Tour's going to start in June. Did Paige talk to you about it?"

"She wants to go with you, doesn't she?"

Rob nodded. "She's been talking to me about it. Did you she talk to you at all?"

"She hinted. And..." I turned the stool so I could face him. "Its not during school so I don't see the harm. You guys will take care of her. Plus, I know how much you want her to go." My lips upturned in a smile.

Rob wrapped an arm around my waist. "I wish you could go too."

"I'll be waiting here like I always am."

"I know," he said quietly and I leaned my head against his chest. "You'd think with as many times as I've had to do this, it'd get easier."

I smiled at him and pulled away. "You miss me that much?"

"Of course," he said, his arm tightening around me. "Getting married and having kids made me soft."

"You are getting soft around the middle."

"Thanks, babe."

"You're welcome."

"So you're okay with Paige going on tour?" Rob asked.

"Yes, leaving me alone with your troublesome son is fine."

"Hey, it takes two. And I think he's yours more than mine." I pulled at face at him and he chuckled, pulling me into his arms. I grudgingly let him. "We've come a long way."

"We have," I agreed. "This tour is for a long time...I'm going to miss you like crazy."

Rob kissed the top of my head, his hand rubbing up and down my arm slowly. I closed my eyes, feeling at peace for once. A smile crept across my face, my heart brimming with the love we shared, as his lips whispered the words into my hair, "No matter where you are, I'm always going to be with you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: "With You" by Linkin Park

That is it, my lovely readers. The end of an era and an amazing character that I have grown to love and become attached to. I hope Jen lives a good life in her fantastical world. :)

Three stars is a perfect way to end it. :)

Special thanks to:
Auluna
niall horan;
Ice_Cat

and to everyone else who's commented, subscribed, and read. You guys have made Jen and Rob's story so enjoyable to write and I will dearly miss it.

Good-bye Jen and Rob. Have a nice life. <3

Image