Status: readers = heroes.

Thank You for Saving Me

T.G.I.F.

I hadn’t slept a wink since Ryan texted me at 5. It was 6:30 and my alarm was
blaring some song I’d never heard in my life. I listened to the lyrics:

“You might as well let me know now. You might as well, go, go, go. I never
wanna see your face round here anymore. Cause it’s a breakdown, a
breakdown. Where do we go from here? It’s a breakdown, a breakdown.”

Jack. I smiled to myself. Today was Friday. One more week of school and then
finals.

I sat up, praying that I could make it that long.

I got up to take a quick shower. I decided to slum it again today. I just threw on a shirt from my elementary school and skinny jeans with my red converses.

My phone started ringing.

*Who in the world was calling me this early?*

My phone said Jack B.

*He put his number in my phone? :)*

I sighed out a laugh as I answered.
> “Hello?”
< “Hey Gazelle. How are you?”
> *laughing* “Well, I’m pretty…confused. You’re kinda a creeper, Jack.”
< “Hey! I just wanted to surprise you”
> “And you very much did.”
< “Do you need a ride today?”
> “I’m sure I do. I don’t really want to fight with my dad about the car.”
< “Well, great! We’ll be there to pick you up in like…10 minutes.”
> “Wait…we?”
<“See ya later!”

I rolled my eyes. Alex was going to be with him. Fucking perfect.

I grabbed my bookbag and walked down the hallway to the kitchen. Mom was brewing coffee.

“Hey babe. How are you?”

I walked over to make some toaster waffles. “I’m pretty good. Tired still, but whatever.”

“I talked with Mrs. Barakat last night. Are you really ok?”

I sat down next to her.

“It was just weird how Jack was there. He just caught me at the right time. It was kinda crazy.”

My waffles popped out of the toaster and I went to the pantry to get syrup.

Mom spoke up again. “Well, I’m just glad you are talking to someone again and not shutting out the world.”

As soon as she finished her sentence, there was a knock at the door.

“Oh, I got it,” I placed the bottle of syrup down.

“No, finish that. I got it.” She walked to the door, but I was behind her the whole way.

She opened the door. Jack stood there, wearing a blue shirt, black skinny jeans
with blue and grey Nikes. His hair was standing up in the back, but his bangs were swoopy in the front.

I stood there behind my mom, staring.

“Hey Jack,” I said, quietly.

“Oh! This is Jack!” My mom smiled widely at him. “Nice to meet you.”

He held his hand out to my mom. “Nice to meet you too, Mrs. Gardner. I was just coming to pick Stella up for school…annnd she disappeared.”

I’d run to the kitchen to get my waffles and bookbag.

“No, no. I’m back. Everybody acquainted? Good. Great. Bye Mom. Love you.” I pulled the door shut.

“Well, someone’s in a rush.” Jack trailed behind me.

“No, I just saved you.”

I looked into Jack’s car, parked on the curb.

“Hello, Sexy Teen Witch!” Alex hollered at me. “I saved a special seat just for you.” He licked his lips.

I looked at the guy in the front seat. I recognized him as the drummer in their band.

“Alright, Mr. Drummer Dude. I know that I don’t know you, but pleassssse sit in the back with me. Or maybe let me have the front seat.”

The drummer smiled at me and laughed.

“Ooooh, she’s a begger.” Alex chimed in.

I heard Jack speak up. “Hey dickwad…Shut up!”

I smirked at Alex. The drummer climbed into the backseat.

“Ouch, Rian. That’s my foot!”

I opened the door and sat in the front. Jack did the same. I turned to face the back.

“I’m Stella, but I’m sure you know that.”

The drummer dude nodded his head. “Rian. With an ‘I.’ I’m not a douchebag like the other Ryan or either of these guys.” I laughed.

“HEY!” Both Alex and Jack objected as Jack started to drive away.