This Is Me and You Until We've Got Nothing Left

Things aren't the same anymore

After telling my dad and Amy that I was keeping my baby, it was more than apparent -to my dad- that I was making the biggest mistake of my life. He didn't say it out loud, but his face said it all; "It's going to be hard, you know." He had said.

"I know it will, but I can do it."

"Are you going to finish school?" It was really a rhetorical question.

"Yes."

After that, my dad didn't say any more. He had gotten up and went to the kitchen, leaving Amy and myself alone. Amy had sighed and gotten up, "I'll talk to him."

I just nodded and sat there on the couch. Moments later, I heard hopping steps and smiled when I saw Abbey coming in. "Sissy!"

She ran to me and launched herself into my lap, hugging me. I kissed her forehead, "Hi, baby doll."

"Are you better?" She asked.

"Yes, I'm fine." I told her. "Guess what."

"What?" Her bright eyes bore up at me.

"I'm gonna have a baby."

She grinned, her tiny baby teeth showing, "A baby?"

"Yep."

She giggled, "Ooh! Is it a girl or a boy?"

"We don't know yet, the baby is really, really tiny."

"How tiny?"

I hummed, "Smaller than you."

"Can I see?"

"I have a picture, I'll show you when you come over."

"Okay," she hopped off my lap, "Mommy! Daddy! Can I go to Navy's house?"

Amy came in, looking a little upset, "If Naomi wants you to."

Abbey looked at me and then grabbed my hand, "Come on, lets go, sissy."

I stood, "Go get your bag first, honey."

Abbey let my hand go and rushed off to her room. I turned to Amy, "Is he mad at me?"

Amy tweaked her lips, "He's not mad at you, he just doesn't want you to regret this."

"I'm gonna go talk to him."

Amy didn't stop me, she actually followed behind me. I stopped by the counter, catching my dad standing by the sink with his back to me. "Dad, I'm sorry that you're mad, but this is what I want."

He turned, "You know I only want the best for you. That's all I ever wanted, and this is not something I ever pictured for you."

I sucked in a short breath, "I'm going to continue going to school, I'm going to get a job and I'll do whatever needs to be done to take care of my baby. All I ask of you is for you to support my decision."

He crossed his arms, "Okay, I support your decision. I just...worry that this'll mess you up."

I went over and stood in front of him, "It won't, I promise. You don't have to worry about me, dad."

"I'm going to, you're my kid."

I sighed, "If anything bothers me, I won't bother you with it. I can handle anything, you know that, you raised me."

He smiled and dropped his arms, "I'm proud of you, kiddo, and I'm sure you'll be a great mommy." He let out a small sigh, but kept his smile up, "I'm gonna be a grandpa, oh God."

I laughed, "Not for awhile, dad. Soil your oats."

He snickered and shook his head, "I'm passed all that; I got them all out when you were a kid."

I went over and hugged him, "I love you, dad."

"I love you, too, Naomi."


Abbey had stared at the ultrasound photo until she and Pete started to color. After, we made some cookies, ate and then she went to sleep on the couch. Pete reclined beside her, while I cleaned up; he had grabbed me as I prepared to pick up the crayons and set me down in his lap.

"How did your dad react?" He asked as he wrapped his arms around my waist.

"He's okay now that I reassured him that I'd do everything in my power to care for our baby."

Pete let out a soft sigh, "We gotta tell my folks tomorrow. My mom invited us over because Hilary is getting in from Texas and Andrew got in from NYC last night."

I could tell there was something bothering him.

"You're scared still, aren't you?"

He hummed with a small nod, brushing his lips against the back of my neck.

"For what it's worth, I'm scared too, I'm just good at hiding it over pride and excitement."

He hummed a small laugh, his breath hitting the back of my neck, causing goosebumps to rise across my skin. I looked back at him, and kissed his lips softly; Pete let out a groan when I pulled back. "Fuckin' tease." He mumbled.

I rolled my eyes at him, "I think you've had enough of me for one day."

He laughed huskily against my ear, "I don't think so."

I got up, "We can't, Abbey is here and I don't want to traumatized my 2 year old sister."

"I can't help it that you're such a moaner." He said with a laugh.

I scoffed, "Ha,ha."

I picked Abbey up and carried her off to our bedroom to tuck her in. Pete followed behind; he sat at the edge of the bed while I got beneath the comforter with Abbey. Pete had looked at me and smiled; "I hope we have a daughter."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because you look cute with Abbey, and I want a little Naomi."

I giggled, "You'll have a little Naomi either way...it's a little piece of me."

He nodded, "Yeah, that's true. I'm happy, but scared all at the same time."

I exhaled softly, "It'll be okay."

"Yeah, I know."


I was nervous about tell Pete's family about my pregnancy for some reason. I had tried to think of a way to telling them and how to react to receiving any negative comments. Though, I was sure they wouldn't outright be angry or upset with me.

Pete had the photo in his hand and was ready to tell them first. We had arrived and I hugged Andrew just as he opened the door; "I missed you!" He told me.

"I missed you, too, Andy." I patted his back and released him. "How's everything?"

"My internship is up and I'm moving back to Chicago to work in the art division of the company."

Andy worked as a graphic designer for a sports company. He designed t-shirts and skateboard decks.

"When?" I asked as we began to director our way to the living room.

"After I graduate...like in June or July."

I bit at my lip, trying to sputter out the news that my baby would be born by then. Pete came over and took my hand, sitting beside me on the couch. Andrew sat across from us and looked me over, "How's everything with you guys?"

"Great." Pete responded, "Where's mom and dad?"

"Dad's in his office and mom is picking up Hilary." He then eyed us, "What's up with you guys?"

Pete and I didn't look at each other nor did we answer. I just shrugged, "Nothing."

Andrew narrowed his eyes, "Liars. What's going on?"

"Nothing, Andy," Pete said, "Why do we look like something's going on?"

"Yeah." He sputtered with a small laugh.

"Nothing is going on," I lied, "Relax."

Andrew rolled his eyes, "I don't believe you."

"You don't have to believe us."

Andrew just shook his head and turned his attention to the TV. Pete smirked at me, smiling after, giving me a knowing look. I just shrugged to his look and sat back.

A few minutes passed before Mr. Wentz came in and greeted us, and then Hilary and Mrs. Wentz came through the door. My heart started to race just as we all hugged and sat back down. Pete's hand held the ultrasound secretly, my eyes couldn't stop glancing down. Finally, Andrew piped up and said; "Naomi and Pete are hiding something."

Everyone looked to us, my cheeks burning hot, "Uh, well..." I trailed.

Pete nudged me gently, "Naomi's pregnant."

Everyone was dead silent; my face burned and I couldn't look at them. Mrs. Wentz cooed and then Pete stood to give her the photo; "Oh my god, you're serious." She stated.

He sat back with me, wrapping his arm around my waist; "She was feeling sick the other day and went to the hospital."

I finally looked up and saw them all cramped around each other, making comments. I felt a little better, but my ears started to hear up. Pete rubbed my side, kissed my cheek and whispered, "No need to be afraid."

"Are you keeping the baby?" Hilary inquired.

I nodded, "Yeah."

Mrs. Wentz awed and cooed, "I can't believe it; I'm gonna be a grandma!"

I blushed this time.

"You guys are going to need to do a lot," Mr. Wentz said as he came over and sat beside us, "You need a bigger place and to furnish it. You'll need a crib and clothes..." He trailed, "You're all excited, right?"

"We are." I answered and then looked at Pete, who forced a smile.

"Congratulations kids," Mr. Wentz said then, patting Pete's back and then standing to kiss my cheek.

Mrs. Wentz had given the photo to Hilary and Andrew to stare at and came over to me. She gave me a high hug, "Oh, honey, I'm so happy for you guys. How far along are you?"

"The ultrasound technician said between 8 and 9 weeks."

Her smile was displayed proudly, "I'm so happy. I'll help you kids in anyway you need. I'll baby sit whenever you need me to; you're going to finish school, right, Naomi?"

It was more of a hopeful inquiry than a general, curious question. I gave her an approving nod, "Yes, of course."

"Good, good." She patted my back, "Remember just tell me when you need something. I'll be there to help."

I felt happy that they were so positive and willing to help me so much. I had been scared that they'd be like my dad had and tell me how stupid Pete and I were being. Yet, they seemed to encourage me to do all that I planned.

This went better than I could've hoped.

Though, there was something to Pete that I couldn't quite put my finger on. I knew he was scared, but he didn't seem to be all there in the joyous moment. I had squeezed his hand and gave him reassuring comments to make him feel better. I got nothing in return from him; he was lost in his head. At dinner, he ate quietly, barely speaking and it worried me so much.

We left after desert, letting Mrs. Wentz keep the ultrasound photo to put in a scrapbook she was going to start making for the baby. Our return home was quiet; Pete had crashed on the couch, exhaling deeply. I sat at the end of his feet, "Pete, what's wrong?"

"I don't wanna talk about it." He said quickly.

"Well, I do." I said shortly.

"Naomi, just drop it, okay? Everything is fine, I'm just being moody. Gimme some pills, will ya?"

I got up, refusing to fight with him; I went to the bathroom and grabbed his pills from beneath the sink and returned. He swallowed two yellow capsules and then pulled me down atop of him. I pressed my cheek to his chest, listening to his heart beat rapidly.

"Don't be so scared." I told him. "Don't be too hard on yourself."

"I'm trying not to." He mumbled.

He wrapped his arms around me and kissed the crown of my head.

"I'm not a kid anymore, Naomi, and that's fucking terrifying."

"You're 25, Pete, you're suppose to grow up." I said this quietly.

"I never wanted to," he confessed, "I always wanted to be Peter Pan and have my Wendy."

I looked up at him, "You can still live in that way, ya'know. Just because we're going to be parents doesn't mean we have to lie down and die."

He shut his eyes, "Thats what it feels like."

I kissed him, "We'll I'll try and make it feel like Neverland for as long as I can. We can have our own Lost Boys and be happy."

He chuckled, "Promise?"

"I promise." I smiled at him.

He brought his hand up and stroked my hair back, "I feel better already."

I kissed him again, "I was hoping I'd win you over."

"Too many times."
♠ ♠ ♠
A time skip'll be coming up, so I hope you all are prepared :)

Shameless Plug Time:
Insecurity On High
Disarmed (love this so much)
Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying
My Picket Fence
Check them out, they're awesome :D

xoali