Stories In Scars

A Capella's The Way To Go

“Fine. Where to?” Spencer asked. “It’s almost two in the morning.”

“I dunno...”

So, we went out to go find some place.

After walking for twenty minutes in the cool night, we found a little local place that, somehow, was still open.

Walking in, we realized why they were still open. Open Mic Night. How I was discovered.

Sitting down, I smile through the tears of the memories.

“You and Brendon should go sing something, Grey!” Ryan urged me.

“Why not you and me, babe?” I question him.

“He can’t sing for shit,” Spencer answered with a smile.

“It’s true and you all know it!” Ryan joked.

“Well,” I tell him, “I love everything about you. Even your shitty singing. But it’s getting better.”

“Yeah, yeah....”

“Well, sure, I’ll sing something, but I don’t have my guitar or anything,” I tell the boys.

“A capella!” Brendon shouts.

“Don’t Wake Me Up from The Hush Sound!” Spencer adds.

Since no one was on the small performing area, Brendon and I went up there.

“This is an a capella cover of one of our favorite songs, Don’t Wake Me Up by The Hush Sound. Oh, and I’m Brendon and this is Grey.”

We start to sing, and the room gets quiet.

Then Brendon starts singing. By the first chorus, the whole room is dancing. The dancing continues throughout the song, while Jon, Spencer, and, reluctantly, Ryan come and dance with us while we’re singing.

We sit down, eat a bit, and sneak out before other people can tell us how good we sing. It’s flattering, but I was never one for complements.

We walk back to the bus, which then takes us to the hotel. We were all really tired, so we literally just went to our rooms and crashed.