Stories In Scars

Pinch Me. I Must Be Dreaming.

“And y’all are thinking... what?” I ask them, very puzzled.

Spencer told me, “We’re going on tour in about a month. We don’t have an opening act yet. You seem perfect for that job. Do you want to open for us on our tour?”

The guys started speaking all at the same time, “Yeah, you would be awesome.” “Your style fits this tour perfectly.” “You’re an amazing artist.”

“Um, wow. Thanks. Wow. You guys are serious?” I question, just to make sure.

“Fuck yeah!” Ryan reassures me.

“Uh, sure! Oh, god. Wow,” I gave them and answer, grinning like an idiot. “Um, when? Where? Details?”

“WOAH. Slow down there partner,” Brendon said.

“Well, sorry. But I’m just slightly excited here,” I told them.

“I’m sure you are,” Ryan smiled.

“Well! Guys, we should go. It’s getting late,” Jon said, noticing me and Ryan.

“But, but, but...” Brendon stammers.

“Let’s go,” Spencer finishes.

Brendon, Jon, and I exchange numbers, agree to meet tomorrow morning at Common Grounds for some shitty coffee, and they’re off.

“So...” Ryan starts, “It’s just us now.”

“Yes... Just us.”

Our eyes met, and again we embraced. Instead of going for my lips, he started kissing my neck. I smiled and moved us from the door to the sofa. There, we started kissing. It was gentle, yet intense. After a while, we both sat up, obviouslly enjoying each other’s company.

“So... You used to cut yourself too?” Ryan asks.

“Well,” I tell him, “You saw my arm. But you haven’t seen my stomach or legs yet. So, yeah. And burn. And bite. And kick.”

“Wow.”

“I know. It was insane. But it just felt so right, you know?”

“No, not ‘wow’ as in insane, but wow as in I’ve never met another person who has injured themselves, on purpose, before.”

I hadn’t either. Since our secrets were coming out, I decided to tell him something else.

“Ryan. I know we just met yesterday. But, I just feel so connected to you. I feel like I can be myself around you. And I’m not afraid to be. Around you, I don’t have to wear a mask, I don’t have to keep up the facade. I can just be me. I can be Grey Julius.. You know?”

“I feel the exact same way. And I was telling Spencer that at dinner.”

I knew that, but didn’t tell him. That would be mine and Spencer’s secret.

Ryan and I talked the whole night. After a while, he put on a movie, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and we fell asleep in each other’s arms.