Sequel: Two of a Kind
Status: Happily Ever After(almost)

Endlessly

Prologue

1988

"Oh my heavens, isn't he just precious?" Catherine Kealy cooed, peering at the baby boy swaddled in Linda Staal's arms.

Linda smiled gently in reply, admiring the newest addition to her family. "Yes, baby Jordan." She chuckled softly as she said, "He'll probably end up a tiny terror, just like his brothers."

Catherine smiled back at her, before rubbing her swollen belly. "I'm so excited, but nervous, too. I mean, wht if I'm not a good mother?" she asked, confiding in Linda.

"Honey, it's really hard to be a bad mother. You'd have to physically try. And you know if you ever need anything, myself, or even Henry, if you're desperate, are right next store. Trust me, once she's here, you'll never think of going back."

"Can I hold him?" Catherine asked her friend.

"Of course," Linda replied, handing over the baby boy.

As Catherine cradled the baby in her arms, resting it partially on her stomach, she was surprised when her own baby moved, until it rested against Jordan's swaddled form. She gasped.

Linda reached out, afraid something was wrong. "What's the matter?"

"It's the most peculiar thing. I think... I think my baby likes him," she whispered, before giggling, embaressed by the absurdity of the situation.

Linda smiled at the expecting mother. "Well, you know what they say. That babies can tell what's happening, even from inside the womb."

"I suppose they're going to be friends then. Jordan and Rae, friends before birth."

1993

"Mom," Jordan whined, pushing his mother's hand away, as she tried to straighten the collar of his navy blue polo for the ump-teenth time. "It's fine the way it is," he complained.

But one glare from his mother shut him up, and he allowed her to worry over his appearance for a few more moments, until the front screen door banged open, and a little girl pranced into the kitchen.

"Rae!" Jordan shouted, happy for an excuse to escape his mother's worrisome hands. "It's about time."

"Jordan," his mother scolded, "That's no way to welcome a guest, or greet a nice young lady like Rae." She paused before smiling at the young blonde girl, clad in a navy jumper. "How are you, sweetheart? Excited for school?"

"I'm well, Mrs. Staal. And yes, I am very excited," Rae replied politely.

Suddenly, a thunderous rumble echoed through the house, and Eric and Marc burst into the kitchen. "The bus is here. 'Bye mom," Eric rushed, breathless.

"Ah, ah, ah. Give your mother a proper kiss."

The three boys obliged, each kissing their mother on the cheek. Linda hugged her youngest a moment longer than the others, before allowing them to leave.

As they reached the bottom of the porch, she stopped them one more time. "Eric, you look after your brothers. Jordan, you look after Rae, because she doesn't know as many kids as you do. And Rae, darling, try not to break too many hearts," she finished with a smile.

Rae giggled, before taking Jordan's hand and tugging him down the driveway, towards the bus waiting for them. Linda looked on, smiling, before snapping a picture of the two boarding the bus.

2000

Jordan plopped down on the bus seat, next to Rae, breathless. His cheeks were rosy from spending all morning on the fresh sheet of ice his father had just set up the night before. The collar of his polo stuck up from under his hockey warm-up jacket, and his shoes were untied.

"Jordan, you're a mess," Rae stated truthfully.

He shot her a confused look, cocking his head to the side. Shaking her head, she pointed to his shoes, which he bent down and tied. When he straightened up again, she reached over and fixed his collar, and proceeded to carefully run her fingers through his wild hair, flattening it.

He blushed slightly at her last gesture, but quickly reinded himself it was Rae, for god's sake, his best friend. "Thanks," he said, giving her a smile.

He took in her plaid, pleated school skirt, and pale blue blouse. Not for the first time, he noticed how she had begun to fill in the shirt in a place she definitely hadn't before this year. Her blue eyes popped, thanks to bright eye shadow he had bought her for her birthday.

He also took in her lips, as she applied cherry flavored chapstick. He couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to kiss her, or any girl for that matter. But especially Rae.

Rae noticed his stare, and was curious what Jordan's issue was. "What? Is there something on my face?" When Jordan shook his head quickly, she gave him a confused look, before reaching to feel her face.

Her heart jumped in her chest when he pushed her hand away, and said in a very serious matter, "No, Rae. You look great."

2003

"High school, here we come," Rae grinned, nudging Jordan with her shoulder, who walked alongside her.

He smiled back at her, masking his boredom. She was excited, so he could pretend to be for a little bit longer, at least until they went to their separate classes. In all honesty, he just wanted the day to be over so he could get to work at the rink. He didn't have that much time, only a year, until he was allegeable to play for a junior team. And these days, that was one of the few things on his mind.

He was pulled from his thoughts, where he had been breaking down his penalty kill strategy, when he realized Rae was still talking, but not to him. A guy had appeared on her other side, and seemed to be hitting on her. And she was flirting right back.

For some reason this pissed him off, so he cleared his throat loudly to draw her attention to his presence. "Oh!" she gasped, placing her hand on his forearm, "I'm sorry Jordan. Oliver, this is Jordan. Jordan, this is Oliver." This Oliver character nodded his head at Jordan, like he'd rather get back to his previous activity. "Oliver and I both went to a camp in the States. Isn't that crazy!"

Jordan grunted, and sent Oliver a glare when Rae turned away, sending the clear message that she was off limits, especially to someone Jordan didn't know. Oliver just smirked at Jordan, and continued right with a story about when he went to India with his dad. So, he's a rich kid, Jordan thought angrily.

Not soon enough did Oliver break off into a separate school hallway, finally leaving Jordan with Rae. He grabbed her arm, pulling her to stop. Before she could complain about being late for their first day, he said, "I don't like him."

She made a point of rolling her eyes, before gently removing his hand from her arm. "Jordan, just because you don't know him doesn't make him a bad guy."

"Yes, it does," Jordan shot back. "Anyone in this town worth knowing, I already know."

Rae placed her hand on her hips, and he knew he was done for. She always did that when she had a good comeback. "Would you rather me date around with your hockey buddies?"

His jaw dropped, not because of the insult to his teammates, but because she basically just said she was dating Oliver. "Youre dating?" he asked incredulously.

She blushed, before give a little nod, and walking away, leaving Jordan standing there with his head spinning, and a funny feeling in his stomach.

2004

When Jordan made the was up his from porch and into his house, he was flying high. It felt so surreal, drafted into the major junior league, and this soon. And to get drafted to the Petes, it was incredible. Just as he was thinking his week couldn't get any better, someone jumped on his back and squealed in his ear, "I'm so proud! I can't believe you did it!"

Rae slid off his back, and Jordan turned to give her an actual hug, grinning from ear to ear. He lifted her off the ground and spun her in a circle. Their little moment was ruined when Jared brushed by and grumbled, "Get a room."

Jordan stiffened slightly, suddenly aware of the intimacy of their position. Lately, he had been refraining from unnecessary touches between Rae and himself, because it usually spiked his heart rate, and that scared him. "Don't worry, he's just jealous," she whispered in his ear.

Jordan pulled away and set her down so he could see her face. "Of what?" he asked, puzzled.

Rae bit he lip, before whispering, "This," and pressing her lips to his.

2006

"We'll make it work," Jordan promised, his face pressed into Rae's neck, the two locked in an embrace. "I'll be home at Christmas. Time will fly, you won't even notice I'm gone." But Jordan knew the lie behind his words. The pair hadn't been separated for this long, ever. And it would be especially hard since they actually got together, together, two years ago.

Rae was trying her hardest not to cry. She didn't need to make this any harder than it already was. But this was Jordan, leaving. The one guy in her life, besides her dad, that had been there since the day she was born. And, according a story her mom told, before then. He beat up the assholes, and knew exactly what to say to make her laugh.

"I love you," she whispered in his ear, not realizing what she saying until it was out.

A shuddered passed through Jordan's body, a barely contained sob. He couldn't believe what a pussy he was being. But, when he whispered those three words back, he meant them just as much as she had.

After sharing one final kiss, he pulled away, and got in the car, and drove away.

He would never lose that, Jordan vowed. He would fight until his dying day to keep that girl in his life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alrighty, so the first chapter I'm posting immediately after I finish posting this, and you'll get the gist of the story, I think. But if you don't like it right away, I suggest you wait until you meet Rae's actual character, because she's basically what the whole story is written around.

So, if I need to change something, or you have a recommendation, or you just want to say hi, drop a comment.

Thanks for reading.