Status: On Hold.

I Am...

Two

"Daddy, can I ask you something" My seven year old daughter asks me. "Sure sweetie" I reply "Anything" "Do you remember what high school was like? Cuz I'll be there in like seven more years and I wanna know" I lose myself in thought as I think about her question. Of course I remember. I still remember my high school years as if they were yesterday. How could I ever forget? The pain. The hurt. The terrible memories. It was all imprinted in my mind for life. I would wake up every morning, dreading going to that terrible place. I always tried to find some excuse to stay home, but mom never bought it. She didn't know what was going on, though. I wouldn't tell her. I wouldn't tell anyone. I kept it all buried inside, waiting for the day that I would explode.

People would call me terrible names every single day when I was in school. I would walk inside every morning four minutes before the bell rang, so I could just quickly go to my locker and avoid being tormented anymore than I had to. "Hurry up dick sucker, you don't wanna be late for class" Some kid would yell at me as I walked the halls. I'd sit down in my first period, at the very back of the class. "Everyone pass up your homework" The teacher would say. "Did the faggot get his homework done?" The kids next to me would taunt. I ignored them. I always did. I hated these awful names they called me. I hated seeing their pathetic fucking faces every day. I wasn't even gay! I had never dated a guy, or even thought one was attractive. They assumed I was gay because of my appearance. I had spikey black hair, a lip ring, and wore eyeliner. I wore converse, band tee's, and skinny jeans as my usual wardrobe.

Just because of these little things, I was considered a dick sucker, a fag, emo, depressed, trash. These were the things that I had to hear every single day.

Lunch was my most dreaded part of the day. I sat at a table at the back with my friend Evan. He dressed like me and was also made fun of. People made comments about us being friends, saying we were together. We ignored them and tried to eat, but there were times when I just wanted to fucking scream my lungs out at these ignorant beings. It eventually got so bad that I came to my mother, telling her everything that was going on. Naturally the first thing she asked was "Well...are you...you know...gay?" I convinced her that I wasn't and she went to the school board. They couldn't do anything since there were no witnesses. The teachers didn't give a damn enough to say anything and neither did the students.

My mom finally decided to let me drop out. I didn't want that for myself. I didn't want to be another bum who didn't finish high school, but I would end up hurting myself if I put up with this any longer. I came to the school to sign the drop out papers and turn in all of my books was the day things got as worse as they have ever been.

"Ooh is the little faggot dropping out" One boy taunted me as I walked into the office to sign the papers. "Did the fudge packer finally find himself a boyfriend to run away with" Another kid yelled as I came out of the office. Word must have gotten around because when I got to my locker, there was lettering painted on the door. "Farewell cock sucker" Someone had written on it. As I went into each of my classes to turn in my books, I was taunted. People stared, people whispered, people yelled derogatory comments at me. As I was finally walking out the front door to leave forever, a group of guys approached me. "So it's true" One of them said "The little fairy is dropping out." The group of guys laughed and I tried to walk away, but one of them grabbed me by the front of the shirt. "Why don't we give you something to remember us by" One of them said, flinging me to the ground. The boys had then proceeded to hit, kick, and spit on me. After they'd left, I'd pulled myself together and walked away.

"Daddy" I was pulled out of my memory by my daughter shaking me. "Sorry baby" I apologized "Daddy was just thinking" "So are you gonna tell me or not?" My daughter asked "Tell her what" A voice behind us said. It was my wife, Julia, coming home from work. "She wants me to tell her about high school" I said, giving her a look. She understands, she knows what it was like for me. "Daddy needs to keep working" Julia told her "Let's go in the living room and I'll tell you all about it" I showed her a sign of gratitude as she closed the door behind her. I'm so glad she came in and rescued me. What did I know about it?

After all, I am the boy who never finished high school, because I got called a fag everyday