Sequel: Mend Me
Status: Completed :)

Never Meant to Be

Chapter Seventeen

September 21st, 2010
Tuesday
David’s Condo, Boston, MA
8:00 A.M.

Evangeline woke up alone in the bed she’d slept in at David’s house. She sat up confused. The sunlight streamed through the window to her left showing that the rainstorm was over and the weather was good again.

“David?” she called out. She got no answer and got out of bed and looked into his room. The bed was unmade and empty. She walked down the stairs and heard David’s voice in the kitchen talking to someone. She walked down the hall to see David sitting on the floor Indian style with Trenton. David had a plastic box next to him that was full of toy cars which they were playing with. David had noticed her standing there and she watched them for a minute. It was the cutest thing she’d ever seen. David finally noticed her in the doorway and smiled up at her.

“I took out a bin of old toy cars I used to play with as a kid,” he said. She smiled and watched David and her son bond when she remembered Nathan. Had he tried to come over last night? She told David she’d be right back and went back upstairs and found her cell phone on the nightstand by her bed. There was one missed call and a voicemail from Nathan. She quickly opened her phone and dialed her inbox. She heard Nathan’s voice say:

“Hey sorry I can’t make it there tonight, this storms gotten really bad and they’ve closed off roads in the city and I can’t get to you.” She sighed in relief. She didn’t want Nathan to know where she was or what she had done last night. She shut off her phone and went back downstairs to make breakfast.

David was going out with a few teammates later in the day so she stayed over until lunch time. Back at the apartment she turned on the TV for Trenton to watch and started doing some research on the Bruins on her laptop. She first looked up David and read his Wikipedia page. He was a valuable player on the team from what she was reading even though she didn’t understand much of the statistics. Her phone rang and she saw on the caller ID that he father was calling her. She answered and said

“Hey dad,”

“Hey sweetie,” he said in his thick southern drawl. “What you been up to lately?” Evangeline knew she ought to tell her dad about David.

“Been going out a lot lately with this guy I met.”

“Oh,” said her dad. “On dates?”

“Ya, his name’s David, he’s really nice, Trenton likes him a lot.”

“That’s good,” said her father. “How is Trenton?”

“He’s going well, he’s learning tons of new words. He’s right here do you wanna talk to him?”

“Sure,” Evangeline went over to her son and said

“It’s grandpa,” Trenton took the phone and said excitedly

“Hi!” Evangeline let her father talk to him a bit before taking the phone back.

“I was wondering if you wanted to come down and visit sometime soon?” said her father. “I’m not to lonely, I have your brother Troy living close by but I want to see you and Trenton.” Evangeline smiled and said

“That would be great! When should I come?”

“Anytime, whatever works best for you,” he said.

“Alright I’ll talk to my bosses and see what time I can get off at work and then I’ll let you know by tomorrow,” she said.

“Do you need anything?” he said in a concerned voice. “Do you want me to send you any money?” Evangeline had always rejected taking money from her father unless she absolutely needed it. She didn’t care how wealthy her father was she wanted to do everything herself. He’d paid for the first tuition payment for college and then she told him she wanted to take on the rest.

“I’m fine dad; if Trenton or I really need something I’ll give you a call.”

“Alright,” he said still sounding uneasy. “Don’t be afraid to ask for anything sweetheart.”

“I won’t,” she said. They talked awhile longer about college, Evangeline promised she’d call him back tomorrow with the time she was coming down, and then they hung up. She hadn’t seen her father for a few months and she was excited to see him. There was a knock on the door and she went over and opened it. Nathan came in holding Dylan in his arms and said

“You should really just give me a key to get in here.” Evangeline looked at the clock above her kitchen sink and said

“It’s only 6:00 what are you doing here this early?”

“I came to make up for the hours we missed last night.” He said. “Tammy’s having a sleepover with Brittany so I’m free for the night and tomorrow morning which mean I might get to wake up tomorrow morning in your bed.” Trenton got up off the floor and walked over to see Dylan. “So did you miss me last night?” He asked.

“Ya,” she lied, “I sure did.” She thought back to the passionate night she’d spent with David. Comparing the two together, they were equally good in bed but David was much gentler and took things slower while Nathan was wilder.

“Don’t worry,” he said “I’ll make up for it tonight.”
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

Just to let everyone know my Sidney Crosby story has started up again. :)