Sequel: Mend Me
Status: Completed :)

Never Meant to Be

Chapter Two

“This is great food.” Said Nathan taking another bite of the ribs he’s ordered. The two of them sat across from each other at a small table towards the back of Evangeline’s favorite restaurant.

“So where do you wanna go after this?” she said.

“Wherever you think is best.” He said. Evangeline thought about it and said

“The local county fair is in town, it’s open until 11:00. We could go there.”

“Sound fun,” said Nathan. He wasn’t feeling guilty at all. He hadn’t really used the word date when asking her to come out. He couldn’t help but admit he was attracted to her. She had a style he had never really seen before. She almost looked as if she was wearing a Halloween costume. She was wearing shorts, a checker shirt tied at the front, and a cowboy hat. She also ate more than any of the women he was usually around. She didn’t order the little salad like most girls he’d seen so. It was refreshing after being around Tammy and her friends for so long. He looked at her for a bit before saying

“I’ve never met a girl like you.”

“Why what are northern girls like?” she asked.

“It’s not northern women in general but just the way the women I am around act. They dress different, act different, eat different, everything.”

“Is that bad?” she said.

“No, no not at all, it’s good very good. You’re refreshing after living my entire life around one type of girl.” She smiled and said

“Thanks,” they finished eating and when the bill came to the table Nathan snatched it from Evangeline’s reach.

“Hey,” she said. “You’re not paying for all of this.”

“Oh yes I am,” he said.

“I brought you here,” she said.

“Yes but I asked you to bring me here.” He pulled out the money from his wallet and set it on the table.

“I’m definitely paying for the fair tickets.” She said.

“Not if I beat you to it.” He laughed. The two left the restaurant and got back into Evangeline’s car. “So where’s this fair?” he asked Evangeline as she steered the car onto the road.

Not from here,” she said. They drove for another ten minutes before Nathan saw a Ferris wheel appear over the trees, its bright lights illuminating the night sky. When they got there and parked Nathan jumped out and went up to the gate before her.

“Two tickets please,” he said. He quickly bought them and went back over to Evangeline and said teasingly

“Beat you to it,” She smiled at him, amused. The two walked back to the gate and went inside

“So where to first?” asked Nathan.


September 4th, 2010
Saturday
Evangeline’s Apartment, Boston, MA
5:35 P.M.

Evangeline looked at herself in the mirror in her bedroom. She had put on a nice lower thigh-length black dress, a belt over the middle of her waist, and black heels,

“How does mommy look?” she said, turning to her son Trenton who was sitting on her bed, playing with his stuffed animal giraffe he’d named Archie. The little boy looked up at his mother and smiled, making a noise of excitement. “Ashley will be here soon to play.” She said sitting down next to him and scooping him in her arms. Trenton Gaston Beauregard was really Trenton Gaston Horton but he would never know it. If Evangeline could help it. She knew her and Nathan would never and could never be together. He had his real family to worry about, not her and his love child. Evangeline wasn’t a home wrecker; she regretted ever being intimate with him. She respected his family. Trenton was already beginning to look like Nathan. She didn’t hate it but she wished he looked more like her so everyday she looked into her sons eyes she wasn’t reminded of Nathan. The baby wrapped his little hand tightly around his mother’s pinky finger. He had a tight grip and was a strong baby, so the doctor’s had told her when he was born. She had been a teen mother at sixteen and although Nathan was never around, her father had been very supportive. She had never told him of Nathan, just that she had been in a relationship with a boy her age she’d met downtown and she’d found out she was pregnant after he’d moved to California.

There was a knock on the door and Evangeline got up off the bed and carried Trenton with her as she pulled open the door. Her babysitter, a fifteen year old girl named Ashley was standing there. Ashley lived a few doors down with her parents. The family was in a financial crisis after the father and mother had lost their jobs. They’d moved in around the same time she had. Evangeline never valued wealth despite her upbringing. She didn’t even let her dad pay for college she made the money herself working two jobs switching off everyday. One as a waitress and another as a local hair salon that needed help badly and hired her after she showed them how well she could do hair. She’d put Trenton in daycare for most of the day while she worked, and had Ashley baby-sit at night if she went out anywhere. Instead of hiring a professional, Evangeline thought it’d be nice to hire Ashley and give her some spending money so she could go out with her friends at the mall and shop.

“Hey Ash,” she said, moving aside to let her in.

“Hey Angie, where you going tonight?”

“For dinner,”

“Ohhh a date?” said Ashley smiling.

“No,” laughed Evangeline “Just out with an old friend.” She handed Trenton to her and grabbed her purse. “You know the drill, emergency numbers are on the fridge, diapers are in the bathroom, all the bottles are kept in the cabinet next to the fridge, and his bedtimes at 6:30.”

“Yup,” said Ashley. “Have fun!”

“Thanks,” said Evangeline and then she left. She got into her car and drive to Fire and Ice, arriving just at 6:00. She saw Nathan waiting for her dressed in a nice shirt and pants. She parked and went up to him.

“Hello again Nathan,” she said.

“Hey Evangeline,” he said. The two stood awkwardly staring at each other before Nathan said

“Well let’s go in.” The restaurant was nice and they were seated quickly.

“So what are we here to talk about?” said Evangeline.

“My son,” he said.

“Trenton?”

“That’s his name?”

“Yes it is,” she said. “His full name is Trenton Gaston Beauregard. The middle name after my father of course.” Nathan didn’t say anything back and she said “Why you don’t like that name?”

“No, no I do,” he said. “It’s a nice name.”

“Listen Nate,” she said. “I don’t care if you’re involved at all, I really would prefer you to just forget about me and go to your family. They are the ones that matter.”

“I want to meet my son.” He said.

“You’ll become too attached,” she said.

“Angie please.” He said. “After dinner?” She thought about it.

“Alright fine, but not for to long,” She felt cruel depriving him of meeting his own son. After they gave the waitress their orders Nathan said

“So what’s happened between the time I left and now?”

“Hmmmm, I don’t know,” she said sarcastically. “Gave birth to your son, came here to go to BU. I’m going to be a teacher. Been working two jobs everyday to support myself, it’s been fun.” He smiled at her and said

“I’ve missed your sarcasm.”

“Calm down Nate, this isn’t a date.” He smiled again and said

“I have thought about you since the summer of 2008. Have you thought about me?” She had thought about him a lot since 2008 but wouldn’t admit it and said

“No,”

“You’re stubborn,” he said amused.

“Why are you even in Boston?” she asked.

“You tell me, sine I know you’ve definitely thought about me at least once since I left you must’ve googled me before.”

“Tell me,” she said annoyed.

“I’m currently playing for the Boston Bruins; they got me from the Panthers.” Evangeline knew about the Bruins. How could she not. Boston was such a sports city.

“Despite the fact she was a famous athlete she didn’t feel any different talking to Nate then she would talking to a homeless person.

“Congratulations,” she said “Hope you do well.”

“Thanks,” he said. “I could get you free tickets if you want to all my games so you can come and watch me play.”

“You’re such a flirt!” she said.

“Do you want tickets?” he asked again.

“Maybe a few,” she said. “Only to see what all the excitement is about with hockey in this city.” He smiled and said

“Good, you’ll love it. Season starts in October though, so you have awhile to wait.” The food came fast and while they ate there was little conversation. While they were waiting for the bill Evangeline asked

“So how is Dylan?”

“He’s good, growing up fast. He likes to dance a lot.” He laughed.

“He probably got that from your wife.” said Evangeline. She knew that Tammy had been a playboy model, a dancer, a singer, and an actress. The woman seemed to have everything. It was no wonder Nathan had married her. She could treat him better than Evangeline ever could.

“Ya he did,” said Nathan. Thinking about Tammy gave Evangeline a depressing blow and she didn’t say much else. She didn’t even complain when Nathan paid the bill. “So are we going back to your apartment to see Trenton?” said Nathan, reminding her.

“Ya,” she said. Nathan followed her in his own car to her apartment building which was in the North End. “My babysitter’s here.” Evangeline opened the door and saw Ashley watching TV in her living room.

“Hey Ash, this is my friend Nathan.” Ashley turned around and said

“Oh hey, he’s asleep, didn’t give me any trouble at all.”

“Thanks Ashley,” Evangeline dug through her purse for the fifty dollar bill to pay Ashley. Unable to find it she said “Hold on, I think I have some money in my room.” Nathan then took out his wallet and handed Ashley a fifty dollar bill himself. He said

“Thanks for watching him,” Ashley smiled and said

“No problem,” and then she left. Evangeline felt infuriated.

“What was that?!”

“I paid her for watching my son,” he said. She crossed her arms over her chest and said

“Listen Nat, he’s not legally yours. I told the hospital that I didn’t know the father and there’s no name or information on the father’s side of his birth certificate.” Ignoring her he said

“So where is he?”

“He’s in my bedroom asleep so be quiet.” The two went into the dark room. Over in the corner there was a crib and the two silently crept over. Curled up inside was Trenton, fast asleep. Nathan gently pushed back the blanket over his face and got a good look at him.

“He looks just like me,” said Nathan.

“Sadly,” said Evangeline.

“Why, I’m a handsome guy,” said Nathan smugly.

“It’s because every time I look at him I think of you.” Nathan didn’t say anything back to her but continued to look down at his sleeping son. Suddenly Nathan’s phone went off, playing an obnoxious ring tone. The baby woke up and started to cry.

“It’s Tammy,” said Nathan. To not let his wife hear the baby crying he left the room and Evangeline was left to care for the baby. She picked him up out of the crib and began to cradle him in her arms. She shushed him and gave him his pacifier. He quieted down and looked up innocently at her with his big brown eyes. Nathan came back and said

“Sorry, she was wondering when I was going to be home, I told her in an hour.”

“You’re not staying here for another hour,” she said annoyed. He ignored her again and said

“Oh he’s awake!” He came over and took the baby from her. She watched as he talked to the baby.

“Hello Trenton, I’m your daddy,” The baby looked up at him, still sucking on the pacifier. “I love you,” he said. The baby still stared at him. “Let’s bring him into the living room.” Evangeline followed him out and saw him sit down on the floor with Trenton. Trenton began to crawl around and Evangeline went over to him.

“You know I thought about getting an abortion.” He looked up at her with a grave look on his face. “But my dad told me no.” He continued to look at her darkly. “I’m glad I didn’t.”

“Me too,” he said. Trenton crawled over to Nathan again and attempted to get into his lap. Smiling, Nathan picked him up and placed him there. He curled up in the middle of his lap and fell asleep. “See, he knows I’m his daddy.”
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

Sooooooo happy the Bruins won, going to the parade tomorrow to celebrate!! :)