Love By Another Name

Chapter Two: His Storm

My car rolled over the gravel leading to Kalven's driveway, making irritating, crunching noises as the wheels crushed the tiny rocks beneath it. The sky had began to cry tears of weariness from constantly being neglected by the sun. The tears bounced off of the protection of my car. I killed the engine with no remorse before removing myself from the vehicle. Kalven was under the safety of his porch covering as I approached him, water dripping off every inch of my body.

“How did I know you'd be out here Kalven?” I flashed him a curious smile. He wrapped me in the small, sky blue he always brought on the porch with him on rainy nights.

“I can't resist a good rainstorm.” We sat side-by-side on the swinging loveseat, listening to the delicate drops of rain splashing onto the ground. Kalven put his arm around me as I snuggled against him. My mind began to dangle in between reality and my dreamworld.

“Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you here?” He asked.

“Just to see if you're okay.” I replied sleepily. Kalven took me into his arms and through the front door of his home. The smell of sweet apple cinnamon brought a smile to my face as Kalven trudged up the steps.

“You know, I'm actually glad you came over tonight. I've been scared lately. It feels like someone has been watching me. I just don't want to be alone anymore.”

I woke up to the sound of Kalven's yells bouncing wildly through the household. My feet were rabid as I ran into the hall. His yells lead me into the bathroom, where I found him laying over the edge of the bathtub, holding onto his chest.

“Kalven.” I instantly knelled beside him, seeing tiny streams of blood streaming from the tribal marks carving themselves into his skin. He was being branded by his kind, becoming one of them as his blood spilled onto the tile. Kalven continued to yell from his existing pain. I held onto his hand tightly, letting him know I was right here with him.

“Just a bit longer and it will be over.” I assured him. His eyes were wet with preparing tears as he gazed at me. The sound of footsteps crawling up the stairs interrupted my thinking pattern. I told Kalven I would be back in a moment, then I released his hand. My knife smiled in the light as I took it from my pocket. The hallway lights flickered when my steps got closer. A rapid figure ran at me like a fiery bullet a single second after I entered the hall. I threw them into the wall, almost creating a new door. My ten inch blade went straight through their throat and into the wall. I ripped through their neck and watched blood repaint the hallway. The bathroom door suddenly slams behind me. I ran from the door as a body breaks through its bindings. Kalven stood at the door, his hands burning in rage.

“More of them are coming.” He confidently walked down the hall with me following. One of the goblin Hoarders was standing at the bottom of the stairs with a large sword in his possession. It instantly flew into Kalven's free hand. He used the other to crush the creature from the inside. His fury was obvious, but the force behind it was indescribable. I watched the Hoarder suffer as each of his bones crushed under the pressure of Kalven's power. Before I could begin to imagine his pain, his body fell to the ground, dead.

“We need to hurry.” Kalven launched his body down the flight of stairs, missing the body of the dead Hoarder. The sword pinned the ground next to the body, symbolizing his death by hand and not sword. Kalven scooped my keys off of the small table in front of the door before heading outside. I leaped through the open passenger's window as he started the car.

“Where are we going?” I looked into the rear view mirror with cautious eyes. It smashed into crumbles as a large ax collides with it. My body jolts backwards when Kalven slams his foot on the gas. An arrow easily drills through the back windshield and pins my headrest, slightly cutting my neck. I stuck my hand outside the window, sticking my knife through the roof. Wind blew harshly against my face as I leaped onto the roof of my car. The Hoarders were running rapidly after the car, slightly disappearing every millisecond. I folded my dagger inwards, gripping onto it like a handle. It morphed in an expressively crafted bow. Arrows came as I requested them with a ready position. My eyes were focused, not seeing one of the devilish creatures. One of the Hoarders shows themselves and unexpectedly lunges towards the car. I release two arrows into his skull with ease.

“I am going to send all of you bastards back to Hell.” I waited as the car went through a tightly enclosed alley. They all revealed themselves in the result of a tight place. I freed one arrow that sliced through all of their skulls. Kalven looked over when I climbed back into the seat.

“So where are we going?” I repeated.

“To my father. He told me to go back once my powers grew to my control.” He replied.

“Your father knows of your abilities? How is that possible? You shouldn't even have known.” I explained. Kalven smiled, his beautiful eyes glistening in the rising sun. My heart fluttered in my chest at the sight of his perfection.

“Zeus is my father Emerald. I grew up in this supernatural world.” My attitude died to a grim sorrow at his statement. Zeus came to resent Society, me in particular. I stared onto the sunrise, blank faced.

Kalven held my hand securely as we walked towards a fortress outside the skirts of town, only visible to certain eyes. He could sense the nerves pulsing through me and kissed the side of my head. I kept myself snuggled against Kalven's shoulder, in fear of recognition. He led me deep into the well-lit castle that came to resent me with a sincere passion.

“So my son has returned to me?” I shut my eyes at the sound of his voice. My hold on Kalven's arm was becoming bone-crushing.

“Yes, it's time for me to come home.” Kalven replied.

“And you've brought a guest. Please, let me see your face.” I took a deep breath before separating myself from Kalven and raising my eyes to Zeus. His expression faded to angry at the sight of my face. He shot an arrow straight at my heart. I held my folded dagger against my chest, and a full body shield quickly deflected his attack.

“Why are you back in my mists wretched heathen!?” Zeus stood up from his throne. I kept my dagger at me side, not knowing what he would do next.

“Father, why are you behaving this way?” This is the other who holds my beating heart beside hers.” Kalven put his arm defensively in front of me.

“No, you may not have her as your other! Is this some kind of plot? A plan to destroy my family from its core? If you think for even a second I'll let that happen, then you're already dead.”

“The Hoarders want his heart Zeus. You and I both know you need someone like me to save him. I can't change what I've done and for that, I'm incredibly sorry. Just please...let me help you.” Kalven looked questioningly at my teary eyes, but I kept them hooked on Zeus.

“What does Kalven think of your sin?” He knows I never told Kalven of my dark secret, leaving an abyss of absent trust in our relationship. I shook my head and stared at the floor, letting a tear hit the tile.

“She killed your mother Kalven. She did it with that blade of hers.” Zeus told him. Kalven backed away from me as I tried to grab his arm. I could see this agonizing heartbreak growing in his eyes.

“I didn't know!” I pleaded desperately. Kalven turned around and stormed out of the double doors. I clenched my fist together in pain, internal pain. Zeus kept his distance as he took a few steps forward.

“He would've found out soon enough Emerald.” I blinked away my tears and faced him. Nothing came to mind as I stood there, glaring dead into his eyes. I gather myself before chasing Kalven outside.

“Kalven wait.” I caught up with him as he stormed past my car.

“You killed my mother and expect me to wait for you!? I've given you everything Emerald, everything! You took my mother from me! I loved you Emerald and you hurt me like this.” Kalven's eyes were watery.

“I love you Kalven, I love you.” He shook his head away when I put my hands on his cheeks. I grabbed his shirt to keep him close to me. There was tears streaming down his cheeks and I couldn't take it, my heart was breaking rapidly.

“No, no, no.” Kalven gently pushed me away. I kicked a dent into the trunk of my car as Kalven slowly got out of my view. I knew I had to let him go, I had to.