Middle School Crushes

Chapter 1

It was the first day of summer break. I woke up with a smile on my face because, hello. Next year, I’m a high schooler. (That sounded cooler in my head.) To be honest, I was slightly disappointed I hadn’t slept until noon like I usually do during summer break. When I looked at my alarm, though, I was furious. It was only eight o’clock! What the hell? What is wrong with my mother and why is she talking so loudly?

I grumbled all the way down the hallway, scratching at my bed head and yawning.

“ – here is my work number, my cell number, and the poison control center though I don’t think you’ll need that. Oh! This is Danny. You remember Avery don’t you Danny?”

This morning could not get any worse. I looked like I was ass raped by a hobo with morning breath and here is Avery, my babysitter from when I was 7, standing in all of his ‘tall-dark-and-handsome’ glory. He smiled and me and I just continued with my horrified and confused expression.

“Excuse him,” my mom was be her usual over-polite self. “He’s so grumpy in the morning.”

“It’s okay, Miss Wendy. But, uh, aren’t you late for work? It’s almost 10.” Damn he was good.

“Yes, yes, you’re right. I need to go. Be good Danny!” And with that she scurried out, as if she didn’t just ruin my entire summer.

Avery turned to me, a big of dopey smile on his perfect face. “Morning, kiddo. You want anything for breakfast?”

I glared at him. “I’m not a fucking kid. You hear me? You’re not even supposed to be here so just leave me the hell alone!” I stomped to my room, sealing my embarrassment and leaving a gaping-mouthed Avery to eat his damn breakfast alone.

--

At around two I couldn’t take my hunger anymore and I tried to sneak out of my room. Just my luck, Avery was coming up the stairs with a plate in his hand. I almost slammed my door in his face but he was quick to place a hand on the door.

“I thought you might be hungry, so I made you a sandwich. Can I come in?”

I wasn’t going to say no to a man with food so I nodded, letting him set the plate on my nightstand and sit on my un-made bed.

Avery side and pushed his fringe of chocolate-colored hair out of his eyes. “Look, I know you’re not exactly happy about me being here. And I know you feel like you’re too old for a babysitter. But your mom is worried. The crime rates in the city have gone up and with your father gone,” I grimaced, “and your mother working ridiculous hours for some promotion…you need someone here to watch over you.”

I rolled my eyes. “One apartment got broken into and suddenly I’m seven years old again.”

Avery’s eyes lit up. “So you do remember me!.”

I flushed at my mistake. “Um, sort of.” I was not going to mention that that year was one of my best childhood memories and Avery was the best babysitter I’d ever had.

“You don’t have to look at this like babysitting. You’re not a kid anymore. I’m just here hanging out, okay? It’ll be fun.” Avery got off my bed and ruffled my blond hair like he did so many times, six years before.

--

“So what have you been up to lately?” Avery messily shoveled some more shrimp fried rice out of the to go container with his chopsticks.

“It’s the first day of summer. I haven’t done anything,” I laughed around my egg roll. Avery and I were sitting cross-legged in front of the TV and honestly, I felt like six years hadn’t passed. I really had missed him when he left, for a while. I thought he was my best friend. At the time, I was too young and naïve to realize the almost five years older boy was just my babysitter.

“I meant before today, dumbass. I haven’t seen you six years. It’s like you suddenly grew up. I have to get to know you again.” His gaze was so intense I missed my mouth and the slimy sauce of my general tso’s chicken stuck to my face. Blushing, I wiped it off with a napkin.

“Um, I don’t know. I don’t really do much of anything. After school I usually just come home and do my homework and watch TV until mom yells at me to go to sleep.” Confessing this to Avery was easier but more embarrassing than I thought it would be. He frowned deeply at me, creases on his forehead forming into more frowns faced at me. I cringed, shoving more food into my mouth.

“That’s…kind of sad, kidd-Danny.” Avery set his food on the coffee table beside him and turned his body towards me. “Have you been…okay since your dad left?”

The sudden change of subject made choke on the Pepsi I was trying to hide behind. “Um, no I’m fine.”

“Seriously Danny. Your mom told me you’ve been off for the last year and a half and she wanted me to talk to you.”

I glared at him. “So you’re here to what? Be my therapist? No thanks.” My knees cracked with the forced I used to stand up. I slammed my bedroom door for the second time that day and decided just to go to bed. It was only 6 but whatever. I’d had enough of Avery. I didn’t need him here.