Status: It will be done eventually...

I love you, Haley

Chapter Three

The next day at school was going how Haley expected it, cold friendliness and deadly tension. Before the first bells rang she caught a quick glimpse of Steve walking down the hall way in a sea of people. Everything seemed like it was going to be a typical school day when she entered the lunch line. A little while after standing in line a well dressed girl from her previous class came to her side.

“Hi!” The girl cheerfully greeted.

“Hi,” Haley responded .

“Your name is Haley, right?”

“Yes,” the girl’s voice was painfully happy to Haley’s ears but she couldn’t be rude, she was being nice after all.

“You are my new neighbor! And we just had English together, my name is Rose Anderson.” Thinking about it Haley had remembered seeing her around, she had a white mustang.

“Well it’s nice to meet you, Rose.” Haley hoped she would leave now but Rose continued to pester her.

“So what are you having for lunch?”

“Uhh, a cheeseburger, I guess,” Rose gave a startled look like Haley said she might just have her for lunch.

“Really? You’re going to eat a cheeseburger?” Rose drug out her words.

“I guess…”

“I usually just have a salad. There aren’t any carbs in that,” Oh glory, she’s a health nut. Haley received her burger and got into line for the register. Rose continued to follow closely behind. “You know Haley,” Rose commenced, “You can sit with us at our table, us being me and the other girls.” In all this time Haley never thought of where she would sit. Yesterday was so hectic with her new schedule she didn’t have time to eat. Looking into the cafeteria every table full of people so she thought it wouldn’t be a bad idea.

“Oh, okay,” Haley answered. She followed Rose across the lunch room until she saw Steve along the way laughing at a table. Haley stopped along the trail, “Hi, Steve.”

Steve turned around with a hard face but then it softened when their eyes met, “Hi, Haley.” Haley could hear a soft grunt from Rose.

“I’ll see you later,” Before she even had the time to turn around the other boys set into hounding Steve.

“Well glory, Romeo,” One of them mocked in laughs.

When Rose and Haley reached the table three girls were already seated. They each gave welcoming smiles. “Haley, this is Marcia, Cherry, and Mandy.” Marcia had round framing black hair and a blank face. Mandy held her head high looking down to the rest of us. But Cherry was gorgeous. She had shimmering green eyes and long red hair. Her smile was genuine and warm. One of the only ones she had seen in Tulsa, besides Soda’s.

“Hello,” Haley greeted. Mandy and Marcia went back to their food but Cherry stayed intrigued.

“You’re from Kansas City, right?” Cherry asked. Her voice was sweet.

“Yes.”

“Must be really different, huh?” While Cherry talked, Rose stared intently.

“More than you’d think,” Cherry smiled and went back to her food. For a second Haley looked over her should at Steve then turned back around.

“Do you know him?” Rose questioned.

“Steve? Yeah, I met him yesterday,” Haley casually said. She took a bite of her food.

“You’re not going to be friends with him, are you?” Everyone at the table stopped and looked to Haley. A burning kick rushed through Haley’s body. Holding back her will she gently set her burger on the plate and looked at Rose.

“Well why not?” Haley spoke in a tame voice. Rose almost laughed.

“Come on Haley. You don’t need to socialize with people like them when you have people like us,” Silence deafened the table.

“What do you mean people like them?”

“We are the Soc’s. We’re better than them. I mean look,” Rose turned and condescendingly stared. Steve’s table was all full of laughs and roughhousing. Rose gave a hatred smirk. “What animals, nothing but white trash grease-” Rose didn’t finish before Haley stood and stormed away from the table. All the girls watched wide eyed as Haley headed to the back of wild boys a few tables away.

Haley had a grip so tight on her plate her knuckles were white. At the moment it was the only thing taming her explosive temper. Upon approaching the table all the boys stopped once again and gazed to Haley, “Anyone sitting here?” Haley asked gesturing to the seat next to Steve.

Steve shook his head, “Umm, no.”

“Good,” Haley plotted herself on the seat. “I was going to sit here anyway.” She started to incautiously eat her food. After a few moments Haley finally looked up from her plate. All were in sly grins. She turned to Steve who withdrew a laugh.

“Alright darlin’,” Steve began as he stood and rounded the table pointing to each boy. “This is Jack, Casey, Rusty, and Curly. Now these right here are my boys,” He placed a hand on a shoulder of each boy. “Two-Bit and Sodapop’s kid brother, Ponyboy.” Each smiled broadly and Ponyboy just gave a shy smile and looked at the floor, Ellie was right he was handsome. Just like his big brother. Steve rounded all the way back to Haley and placed both hands on her shoulders. “Fellas this here is, Haley. She’s new, so y’all treat her good, alright?”

“Well I’ll say!” Two-Bit hollered sneaking a flask from his leather jacket pocket and taking a swig. Everyone laughed and Haley couldn’t help but grin. The boys talked amongst themselves for awhile when Haley took her plate to the washers.

“Listen up,” Steve announced in a low tone as Haley started to walk in the opposite direction. Everyone leaned it close. “Y’all better keep an eye on that girl. I mean it, ya hear? Soda got one look at her yesterday and I ain’t never seen him so giddy. Haley is exactly what that boy needs. Anything happens to her, Soda will have my head, and then I will get yours. that goes for you too, Pony.”

Ponyboy nodded, “She seems tuff enough.” Pony finished as Haley approached the table again.

“What are y’all talkin’ about?” Haley inquired.

Steve gave a cunning beam, “Just good ol’ Sodapop.”