Status: Completed

Psyche

5

Girlie has cleaned Jamie’s room since he’s been gone. The bed is made and the floor is clear of objects. Everything was placed neatly on shelves or stacked on his desk if Girlie didn’t know where they belonged. Jamie tosses his bag in a corner and makes a note to deal with it later.

When he lies on his bed he feels his bones sinking through the mattress as he sleeps.

He doesn’t wake up till around evening. He helps Girlie cook dinner, and they talk and laugh while the old clock radio on the counter plays music. Soon they sit down to eat and as Jamie piles food in his mouth he realizes everything feels so . . .

Normal.

He waits until after Girlie has taken a sip of her drink before asking, “When does Zack go to trial?” Her mouth hangs open, startled. She knew it was coming, but she didn’t expect him to be so blunt about it.

“Next month.” She breathes slowly, closing her eyes for a moment. “I’ll be with you. I won’t let anything happen.” He stares at her for before nodding and looking down at his plate.
That’s all he needed to know.

Another bite of food and then, “What the baby’s name?”

Girlie blinks confusingly at the change of topic, but Jamie’s smiling like it’s ordinary. He’s surprised he’s able to refer to the baby without feeling overly sick and a little anxious. He must be getting “used” to it; a bit tolerate of it, possibly. He doesn’t really have a choice. He’ll see how he really feels once it’s born.

“I don’t know yet. Something with a ‘J,’” Girlie answers.

Jamie scrunches his nose and groans. “You’re one of those.”

“’Those’ what?”

“Those people who name all their kids with the same first letter!”

“There’s nothing wrong with that.”

“At least use I or K. They’re on both sides of J.” She almost spits out the food she has in her mouth and Jamie teases her for it.

They laugh about it because it feels good.