Status: Hiatus/Might not finish

Back Home

And sometimes I need someone to say

I woke up the next morning due to my alarm. I groaned remembering last night’s events. I felt like utter shit. I felt like I was in high school again and not about to be a sophomore in college. I felt the same heart fluttering, stomach turning, face reddening feelings for Josh that I developed in 11th grade. I tried to ignore all my thoughts as I dressed in just a t-shirt and shorts, slipping on my converse before leaving to get my hair cut. I took my mother’s car and drove myself to my usual salon: Twisted Scissors. Despite the name they were real good and knew me well.

I walked in and noticed the same red haired girl from last night. Acey Young sat behind the high counter talking on the phone. She held up one finger as she saw me approach. “Yes, Mrs. Danby, I have you down for Monday at 8 am with Michelle. No, I will make sure Michelle is the only one to touch you. Okay you have a great day and thank you for calling Twisted Scissors.” She hung up the phone and looked at me with a smile. “Cori, you’re here for Nancy, right? Hold on,” she got up after I nodded and I watched her walk away. It was weird. She wore all black clothing, professional clothing actually and heels. It wasn’t at all like the attire she sported last night.

I took a seat on one of the chairs and picked up a hairstyle magazine. I flipped through despite knowing what I wanted to do with my hair. Nancy walked up to me with a huge smile on her face. “Corianne! You look good! How was college?” She hugged me as she attacked me with questions. I told her about college and stuff as she guided me back to her seat.

Then I explained to her that I wanted to go strawberry blonde and just a half inch shorter, if she could. So she quickly went to work on dyeing, cutting and layering my hair. Once Nancy was done I couldn’t stop smiling. I loved my hair and I felt a million times prettier. Eat your heart out, Josh Montgomery, the thought came to mind creating a smirk. I paid and gave Nancy a tip. I was about to leave when Acey stopped me.

“Hey! Cori! I was wondering if you wanted to hang out later, like ‘round five? That’s when I get off. We could get coffee or something.” I just looked at her and bit my lip. But I politely said “sure” and she smiled. We said our ‘see you laters’ and I went back home.

My mother was waiting patiently for her car and left before even noticing I had different hair. I rolled my eyes, got myself some food before retreating back to my room. I was two days in my summer vacation and I already want to go back to college. I was reliving old memories and feelings I wanted to drop and I was going hang out with someone I didn’t care for from high school. None of it made sense.

I opened my laptop and turned it on, sitting down on my bed after popping in Harry Potter in my DVD player. I logged onto Skype right away, hoping that someone from school was on as the credits to Sorcerer’s Stone began to play. No one was online yet but I left a message for my old roommate to talk to me later. I checked my Facebook and a few other sites but nothing was new so I just closed my laptop and watched the movie.

I laughed out loud at the scene with the Weasley twins. I couldn’t help but smile at how cute James Phelps was with his helium-like voice as Fred. He is my favorite character. I watched the movie until I found myself dosing off and I fell asleep right when Hagrid’s dragon egg hatched with tiny Norbert, the Norwegian Ridgeback.

I woke up just before five to a few text messages from Acey. She told me where to meet her and that she’ll be there around 5:15 and asked if it was fine if she brought a friend. I gave her a quick text back saying that it was all okay and I’ll see her soon. I quickly fixed my wavy hair, smiling at the color again before changing into a pair of skinny jeans and pulled a cardigan on over my shirt. I fixed my eyeliner and mascara, smiling at how much I felt prettier than I had since I got home. It was the little things, really, that made me feel a million times better.

I got to the coffee shop downtown where Acey said she’ll meet me. As I approached the little shop, there were about three tables with chairs outside. Acey sat at one table, her vibrant red hair noticeable, a cigarette in her hand and a coffee in front of her. I can tell she was talking animatedly to someone with dark hair wearing a dark shirt. As I approached I realized it was Garrett Nickelsen. I know he’s in a band but I know him from going to a school near mine.

Acey noticed me approaching and smiled to me. “Hey! Cori! You know Garrett right?” I politely bowed my head and he smirked.

“Hey, you’re Josh Montgomery’s friend.”

“Yep.” I popped my lips when I said the ‘p’ sound and sat down at the table. Acey gave Garrett a look, who’s eyes just widened in confusion.

“Sorry about him being rude, he does that. Can I get you anything to drink or eat?” Acey flashed me a quick, wide grin and I shook my head.

“No, no, I can do it.”

“Nonsense! I’m more than happy to,” she got up and I just looked at her. I got up from my seat and gave her a small smile.

“We’ll go in together. You can buy me a muffin and I’ll buy my drink.” I reasoned and Acey nodded, she was just happy that she could do something. I can tell. We walked into the shop, stood in line and I debated on what I wanted. I’m not the biggest coffee drinker. I quickly scanned there items and I saw passion fruit iced tea, just like Starbucks, so thankfully when it was my turn to order I was ready. Acey got me a muffin and we went back outside. Garrett was talking on the phone with someone and as we sat down he stood up.

“I’ll be right back,” he kissed Acey’s lips quickly and I averted my eyes with a blush. When I figured Garrett was gone, I casually looked back up and started to eat my muffin.

“Do you understand why I said I don’t like Josh and meant in that way?” She gave me a half smile, her eyes showed me some sort of sympathy, or possibly concern. I couldn’t place what they were showing me. I just nodded. “He missed you, like a lot.”

“I missed him too.”

“When he told me about what happened in December I was shocked.” She sipped on her coffee, from what I can tell it was a white mocha on ice. I knew a few coffee things. I realized what she said. I felt my jaw lock and I stared back at her. What the fuck? Why did Josh tell her something so private?

“He told you what happened in December?” My voice came out harsher than I wanted but, forgive me, I’m pissed.

“He didn’t mean to,” her eyes got wide as if she just realized how wrong it was that she knew. “He was just drunk talking me and I was sober. That’s why I remember. H-he was just so broken up about it.” I felt my insides cool and Acey just stared at me with her bottom lip between her teeth. She avoided my gaze as I tried to understand her. He was broken up over it? He’s the one who yelled at me. “I realize it’s not my place to say anything—but—Cori, Josh thought his world ended because you left him. He was so depressed.”

“If you realize it isn’t your place to talk, then why are you?” I seethed through clenched teeth. I was shaking from anger and I closed my eyes trying to calm down. I could remember December real well. All of the fight. Every little thing he yelled at me. Every little thing I yelled back. What he wore. What I wore. I remembered every little detail of the worst night of my life. That’s why I left right after Christmas. That’s why I spent most of my breaks in Michigan.

I said I never wanted to see Josh Montgomery ever again. But eventually, after a few phone calls and text messages we were fine. I guess we’re fine. I can still feel the tension every time we talk to each other or we’re next to each other. Last night at the party, although I hadn’t realized then, the reason why I was just so out of place. All I could think of was December.

“I’m sorry. I-I-I just thought that I was going to help.” She looked at me with a confused yet sad face and she reached out to touch my hand, which is resting on top of the table. I jerked it back and stared at her with a hard glare. I stood up from the table and went through my purse.

“Well you thought wrong.” I mumbled before throwing down three dollars onto the table for the muffin she bought and I left. I don’t know who Acey Young thinks she is but she’s a fucking bitch. How dare she think that she was helping?
♠ ♠ ♠
this is for cori even tho she likes to depress me. :(
haha but seriously. this took me forever to write and i'm currently exhausted
because idk what sleep it.

i went from saying "OH CORI AND ACEY ARE GONNA BE FRIENDSSS!"
lol no. i like drama.