Status: semi active

You Can't Hurry Love

Chapter eighteen

As soon as I walked through the door, I lied through my teeth to my mother. I would have loved to bitch and moan to her about how nasty Cat was being, but my Mum adored Cat and although she may not have taken her side, she would definitely at least stick up for her. I didn’t need to hear that, I needed someone to agree with me.

I got rid of my mum as quickly as I could and went onto my bed and sulked. I let out my favourite Pokémon, Cubone, and we sulked together.

My Dad came home from work earlier on, and came into my room to greet me. He didn’t like Cat so much, but I still kept up my act of being ‘okay’ and as if we got bored of our adventure and that’s the reason I came home.

They knew all about Brent and Aaron leaving, as Cat’s mother had told them all about it. So it was easy to build a story upon that. In fact, they were relieved that Cat and I had come home early, as we no longer had male influences with us.

If only they knew we were with the safest person in both Kanto and Johto…

I was surprised however, when I got a knock on my bedroom door at around 8PM.

I took my headphones off and lowered the book I was reading to face my mother.

“Yes?” I asked her.

“Um, there’s someone at the door for you…” Mum trailed off, sounding a little weirded out.

I rolled my eyes. It would be Cat who would give a half assed apology, but then would get bitter and annoyed I wouldn’t apologise and do exactly as she said, like what happened the only other time we had a fight.

So it’s safe to say I was a little shocked when I saw Lance behind the door once I reached the front door. I honestly didn’t think he cared about me. It was all-just for a plan, and now I wasn’t coming along anymore it was obvious the previous plan was not going to work out. He could easily find another pretty girl to take Jack’s eye and take my place within the plan.

“Hey…” I weakly stated, not wanting to sound rude but unsure as to what else to say.

“Hey…um, can we talk?” He asked me.

“You know my daughter?” Mum asked Lance.

It then hit me why she was so weird at the door. Lance was here, and he wasn’t under any costumers to pretend he was anyone else. He had his red hair out, his black cape flowing behind him in the summer evening breeze. He was the last person she would have expected to open the door to, it’s not every day your region’s champion asks to speak to your daughter.

“Yes, I do.” Lance simply stated.

“Uh…yeah sure. Come right on in. Come into my room, we can talk there.” I said, moving myself to make room for Lance to come in and began to make our way to my room.

“If that’s okay with your parents of course.” Lance blushed, indicating to my mum.

I chuckled lightly. It wasn’t like I was a twelve year old girl who was new to puberty and my mother and father had to make sure we weren’t alone so we wouldn’t do things. I was now nineteen, I have had a few boyfriends, I think it’s fair for my parents to assume I’m no longer a virgin.

“Oh of course! Can I get you anything to eat or drink?” My mum offered him.

“Thanks, but I’ve already eaten.” Lance briskly said, sounding as polite as he could for rejecting her offer, and then followed me into my room.

He shut the door behind him, then took a few moments to examine all of my room.

“Cute.” He grinned.

“Oh shush. Without sounding rude, why are you here? I already pulled out…there’s no reason to be here. I mean, you’re welcome, but I thought you wouldn’t want to be here…” I trailed off, realising I was mumbling as I was afraid of hurting his feelings.

“Well, you see, I made this friend. Her name is Emily. I saw her become upset at something her best friend said, so I came to see if she was okay.” Lance replied.

I smiled. So he did care. Does this mean we’re friends.

“I’m okay. Really, I am. This fight with Cat has been long coming, it was bound to happen any time. At least now I know her true self, and she knows my true feelings. It was no use my feelings bottling up and her to keep doing what she does. So yes, I am okay thanks for asking.” I smiled at Lance, earning a smile back.

“Good, I wouldn’t my golden girl partner for my mission to be upset.” Lance grinned.

“What are you talking about? I’m still out. I can’t spend time around Cat right now. She obviously really likes you and this is a dream of hers, why make you choose?” I replied, my eyebrows furrowed.

“Well, Cat was upset that I asked her to pull out, and even more upset that I did indeed pick you over her. But this mission needs someone who’s in it because they want to do the right thing, not for any glory, fame or to impress me. Cat wasn’t in this mission for the right reasons, unlike you. I have to have you come along. I need you.” Lance explained.

“You…need me?” I confirmed, not believing what I was hearing.

“In a non-sexual way, yes. Jack picked YOU at the diner. They’re trying to recruit members, but our mission will go further with the girl that was picked. You’re also stronger willed, and quite a talented Pokémon trainer. It would have made no sense to let Cat come along and for you to drop out.” Lance stated.

“Well when you put it like that.” I grinned, Lance’s grin becoming contagious.

“I may also just happen to like you better too.” Lance chuckled.

“Oh. Well, that’s awkward for Cat then. Bet you didn’t tell her that when you asked her not to come along.” I queried.

“No, I did. After you left Cat said something along the lines of you now being out of the way, it would just be me and her like it was supposed to be. I told her what I just told you, plus that I like you more. She didn’t seem happy with that.” Lance explained.

“Oh, I guess she wouldn’t be. The truth hurts, I guess. So I take it she pulled out then?” I asked Lance.

“Actually, no. She kept begging me to like her more than you, in an almost creepy-like fashion. Then when she saw it wasn’t working, she said horrible things about you, which I won’t repeat, but I know they would be untrue.” Lance sighed.

“Oh well, life goes on right?” I weakly grinned, pretending it didn’t hurt my so-called best friend was bitching about me behind my back.

“See, I don’t care what she looks like. But that was just such unattractive behaviour, it made me view her as unattractive, which is the opposite of what she was doing.” Lance stated.

I just smiled. I was so happy with his statement. Here was the dragon champion, great looking, who could get any girl he wanted, in my bedroom checking up on me, saying he found my enemy unattractive because of her personality.

I had to try and not fall for him. Not because he was a hot guy and may be a jerk, but because he was a hot guy yet so sweet and sensitive and I knew he could do a lot better than me.

“So what do you say, want to be partners again?” Lance smiled, extending his hand towards me.

“Partners again.” I smiled back, putting my hand in his.

Damn, this might get a little tricky.
♠ ♠ ♠
This entire chapter was written and posted on a bus on my way to a job interview. Well, can't say I've ever done that before.