Status: Active

If It Means a Lot to You

Roller Coasters and Smiles

“You guys are going to regret not bringing more clothes,” I told the guys as Rachel and I got into the van the next morning.

“It’s just a little water. We’ll be fine,” Alex said.

“I want to see you guys saying that when you guys are soaked and Rachel and I are nice and dry.”

“That’s why we hug you to get your nice and dry clothes wet, duh,” Kevin said.

“Do it and I murder you,” Rachel threatened.

“Feisty girl, aren’t you?” Josh laughed.

“Damn straight.”

“Just how I like ‘em,” Neil said, winking at Rachel. She blushed, smiling shyly. I stifled a giggle, fighting the urge to say something.

Rachel and I repeated the process of telling Jeremy to go.

“What the hell is that?” Jeremy asked, looking at the back of the roller coaster in Sea World.

“Atlantis, a roller coaster that I really, really hate,” I answered as I led the way to the front of the amusement park.

“Why do you hate it?”

“She just hates roller coasters in general,” Rachel told him.

“Well you’re getting on this one today,” Jeremy stated. I looked at him, raising an eyebrow.

“What makes you so sure about that?” I inquired.

“Because I’m asking you to.” I looked at him for a moment. He gave me a big cheesy smile as we got into the line to buy tickets. I looked away, knowing I’d give in if I kept looking at him. I bought the tickets and we got into the line to get in.

“We’re going on the rapids at one point, just so you know,” I told them.

“Can we go on Atlantis first?” Neil asked. I shot him a glare and he grinned. Grinning herself, Rachel took the lead and headed towards the roller coasters.

“I fucking hate you all,” I muttered darkly once we got in line.

“Oh don’t worry. You’ll live one tiny little roller coaster,” Kevin dismissed. I shot him a glare. “If looks could kill, I’d be dead.” The line moved along quickly much to my dismay.

“You can ride with me,” Jeremy said when everyone started pairing up. Neil had immediately jumped for Rachel, much to my amusement. I didn’t say anything, too nervous and scared to say anything. “That scared?” I nodded. “I’m gonna go deaf, aren’t I?” I nodded again. “Well, thank God I’m used to loud sounds because of concerts.” I cracked a smile. “There’s a smile!”

We started climbing into the small raft in front of us. Josh was by himself at the front of the raft; Alex and Kevin were behind him with Neil and Rachel behind them; Jeremy and I were stuck in the back.

“You can hold on to me if you want,” Jeremy offered. I shook my head vigorously. “You’re so scared that you don’t want to talk?” I nodded. My hands started to hurt from the deathgrip I had taken on the bar in front of me. The raft lurched forward. A small whimper left me as we began our upward climb. I knew my knuckles had gone white. I felt Jeremy glanced at me but I didn’t look at him. We stopped right in front of the first and only fall of the ride. We started forward and immediately started our plunge downward. A scream left me. I instinctively went for whoever was next to me and grabbed tightly onto Jeremy’s arm, completely forgetting it was him that was sitting next to me. Water splashed around us as we hit the bottom.

“Jesus Christ!” Neil yelled when we slowed and started forward again. I opened my eyes. I felt a hand on my elbow. I looked up and saw Jeremy’s brown eyes looking down at me. He raised an eyebrow, smiling slightly.

“Oh, sorry,” I apologized when I realized that I had a vice grip on his arm. I let go of him and straightened up.

“It’s okay,” he assured. “Are you all right?” I shook my head. “Why not?”

“The ride’s not over.”

“Are you kidding me? There’s more?!” Josh yelled from the front.

“Yes, sir. But that was the only big fall,” Rachel said.

“Oh shit. Here we go again,” I muttered under my breath as we entered the elevator that would take us back up to the rest of the ride. Jeremy must’ve heard me; he held his arm out in an offering. I smiled apologetically as I took hold of it again, making sure I wasn’t holding on as tightly as I had before. I shut my eyes tightly when I saw the elevator doors open.

“Rose, it’s over,” Jeremy was saying what felt like seconds later. I cracked an eye open and sure enough we were nearing the loading area. I let out the breath I didn’t know I was holding. My heart was pounding as I let go of his arm.

“Never fucking again,” I breathed as we climbed out.

“Oh it wasn’t that bad,” Alex said, walking into the exit. I shook my head. We headed to the small room where they showed the pictures taken at the big fall.

“Oh God.” I hid my face when I saw our picture. I had hidden my face against Jeremy’s arm but a part of it was still showing; my eyes were shut tight and I was clearly trying not to scream. The rest of the guys had opted for making faces.

“It’s not that bad,” Jeremy said as he headed over to the counter where the photos could be bought.

“What are you doing?”

“Buying the photo, of course.” I shook my head for what felt the millionth time in the past hour.

We walked around for a few hours. Rachel and I continued on our mission to get the boys soaked. We sat in the “soak zone” at the dolphin and sea lions shows.

“We’re going on the rapids now,” I told them.

“But I’m hungry,” Kevin whined.

“We’ll eat afterwards.” I marched into the line without waiting for a response. We had tossed Rachel’s bag and our sweaters in a locker beforehand.

“And you’re not scared of this ride, are you?” Jeremy asked. I threw him a glare. “What? I’m not making fun of you.”

“Suuuuure.” We stood around for about an hour, the line moving along very slowly. The guys told us whatever stories they thought of from tour and from home. “After this ride, I want to hear you guys saying that you’ll be fine without another change of clothes.”

“See, but you fail to realize we can walk around without our shirts on,” Josh countered.

“But you’ll be cold,” I countered back. He shrugged. We eventually got to the giant wheel where everyone climbed into the rafts.

“Someone’s excited,” Jeremy laughed when he looked at me. I gently smacked his arm.

“Leave me alone. This is my favorite ride. Here we go!” I added when we finally got off short tracks and out into the “river.”

“Holy shit, that’s cold!” Neil yelled when he and Kevin were hit by a big wave of water. Rachel and I laughed until a big wave hit us. The guys laughed us in return which quickly turned into yells. The bumpy ride was filled with yells and laughter. By the time we reached the end of the ride, we’re all laughing and soaked.

“I have never been more wet in my life than I have now,” Alex said as we walked out of the ride.

“And you guys said you’d be fine without another pair of clothes,” Rachel scoffed. They all looked at Rachel and I before taking their shirts off in unison.

“Oh God. Walk away, Rachel, walk away,” I joked as I turned around. We went to the locker with them following us.

“Oh come on, girls. You know you aren’t ashamed of us,” Kevin told us as we walked into a nearby restaurant.

“I am, I really am,” Rachel assured.

“I don’t think a show has made me as tired as I’ve been these past few days,” Josh yawned as we made our way to the exit.

“Need a sweater?” Jeremy quietly offered me when he saw me shiver.

“No thanks,” I replied, crossing my arms. He held his arm out. I raised an eyebrow in response.

“You look cold and you know you’re cold.” I rolled my eyes but still took a step towards him. He put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me closer. I leaned a little against him. Rachel glanced back at me and smirked. I glared back. She couldn’t say anything; she had let Neil put his arm around her far sooner.

After spreading out towels and sweaters on our seats, we climbed into the van and most of us fell asleep. I closed my eyes and next thing I know I’m being shaken awake.

“What’s going on?” I mumbled, sitting up slowly.

“We’re at the hotel,” Jeremy whispered, chuckling a little. I opened my eyes wider, shaking my head a little.

“Oh, well then.” I sat up fully and jumped down. I stumbled a little as I landed. Jeremy put his hands on my hips.

“Steady now, Miss Drunk.” I smiled shyly. Once again, he pulled me into a tight hug. “Good night, Rose.”

“Night, Jer.” I walked around the van towards the first set of stairs leading to the doors of the hotel. I glanced over and saw Rachel and Neil hugging. I could tell it was a moment I shouldn’t interrupt.

“God I’m tired,” Rachel yawned when she finally made her way to me.

“I bet because you were having a special hug with Neil back there,” I told her. She threw me a glare.

“Oh shut up. You know you were having one with Jeremy too so shush.” I shrugged.

“I just don’t want to get too close, you know? They are leaving on Monday morning,” I reminded. Rachel let out a sigh.

“I know and I know that we’ve only really known them for two days but what’s slowly starting to happen with Neil feels right, you know?”

“Yeah, I know what you mean.”

“We’ll know what to do when Monday comes.”