Status: Active

If It Means a Lot to You

Luke

“I think we’re gonna need to go grocery shopping if we’re gonna have five guys in our house for the next couple of days,” Rachel said. We had just gotten home after our drive from San Diego. The guys were making their way over here. They had followed us most of the way but lost us when we hit some traffic. I had to text Jeremy how to get here and we were now waiting for them.

“We’ll go when we have to,” I told her. My phone vibrated on the couch. I picked it up and flicked it open.

Just got off the freeway. Be there in 5.

“They’ll be here in five minutes,” I called to Rachel after reading Jeremy’s text.

“Shit! We still gotta unpack!” Rachel ran out of the kitchen. She grabbed her bag and went to her room. I let out a small laugh and shook my head. I went around the living room, dusting things off. As I went to grab my bag to put my dirty clothes in the hamper, there was a knock on the door.

“Coming!” I said. I set down my bag and went to open the door. The guys stood there, each with a duffle bag in their hand.

“Hey, Rose!” they chimed together.

“Where’s Rachel?” Neil asked as they came in.

“You would ask about her,” Alex said. Neil threw him a glare. “What? It’s the truth.”

“She’s in her room taking out her clothes from our trip. She’ll be out in a minute,” I told Neil, laughing a little. “And I have to go do that myself. Make yourselves at home. The kitchen’s over there if you guys wanna get a drink or grab a snack.” I grabbed my duffle bag and headed to my room. I tossed my clothes into a hamper. I picked up the hamper and headed towards the laundry room.

“Rose?” someone said behind me. I turned around and saw Josh. “Where’s the bathroom?”

“Right there. Door on your left.” I saw Rachel’s hamper was sitting on the dryer when I entered. I sighed, knowing that was the sign that she wanted me to put her clothes to wash. I tossed in some of my clothes with her and shut the washer door. I walked out to the living room in time to see Rachel dispensing drinks to everyone.

“There isn’t much too eat so I told them we’d go out to eat,” Rachel informed me.

“Ruby’s?” I said. She nodded. “Huntington Beach pier or Seal Beach?”

“Seal Beach. Around six though. I think we all need some time to just relax.” I nodded. I looked around to see the guys had spread themselves out on our couches and the lazy boy. I suppressed the smirk that was threatening to show itself when I saw Neil sit down on the lazy boy and Rachel take a seat between his legs. I took a seat next to Josh on the smaller of the two couches.

“My sleep schedule is gonna be fucked up by the time we leave. I hate time zones!” Jeremy whined as he rubbed his eyes.

“You’ve dealt with it for many years now. Get over it, mister,” Josh hushed. Jeremy threw a couch cushion at him. “Hey!”

“Don’t break anything!” Rachel told them.

We sat around for a couple of hours watching movies and TV and talking a little bit.

“All right, let’s head out to eat,” I said, standing up and stretching.

“Are we driving there?” Neil asked. I shook my head.

“We’re walking there,” Rachel answered.

“You guys live that close to the beach?” Jeremy said.

“Yep. We walk to the beach all the time when we have nothing better to do,” I told him. We started walking, Rachel and I leading the way.

“This is a long pier,” Kevin muttered as he glanced over the edge. “Don’t do that, dickhead!” he added when Alex pretended to push him over the edge. We eventually made it down to Ruby’s and sat down for dinner.

“That was an awesome dinner,” Neil said as we walked down Main Street and started towards mine and Rachel’s house.

“We’re glad you guys liked it,” Rachel said, smiling up at him.

“You girls certainly know where to take us to eat,” Alex joked. I shrugged.

“We just show you what we like,” I told him.

“Well if it isn’t Rose,” a voice I never wanted to hear again said. I froze, stopping in my tracks. Jeremy bumped into me, causing me to stumble a little.

“What’s going on?” I heard Rachel ask. “Oh shit.”

“Luke,” I replied stiffly. A girl with platinum blonde hair was beside him; behind him were two of his friends that he was always with.

“What’re you doing here? Looking for some business?” Luke asked, smirking.

“Hey, asshole. You don’t talk to her like that,” Jeremy growled.

“Who the fuck are you?” Luke looked him up and down, taking in his appearance.

“Her boyfriend.” Jeremy stepped forward, throwing his arm around my shoulders. Luke’s eyes narrowed before they widened in recognition.

“Oh you’re the singer of that band that Rose loves, aren’t you?” His attention turned to me. “So you’re a groupie now?”

“Shut up, Luke,” I said quietly.

“What? Too scared to actually say anything? That’s one of the many reasons why I never loved you, Rose,” he snarled maliciously. “That and the way you went and flirted with every male around and every other thing about you.” I took one last look at him before turning on my heel and running past everyone.