Status: Active

If It Means a Lot to You

If It Means A Lot To You

“That was amazing!” Jeremy compliment when I sat down at the table. “Why haven’t you mentioned you have a voice like that not to mention are a pretty good screamer?”

“Just didn’t seem like something worth mentioning,” I said, my blush brightening a bit.

“Well rest that pretty voice of yours. You’re gonna need it.” I raised an eyebrow. He simply smiled in response. I frowned a little before turning my attention back to the stage.

“We finally reached our last performer of the night. Give it up for Jeremy McKinnon!” As the people in the café clapped, a few whispered to one another, looking over to see if it was who they thought it was.

“Come on.” Jeremy told me. I looked at him in confusion. He grabbed my hand and pulled me up. He took me with him onto the stage. He grabbed one of the acoustic guitars that the café supplied for performers. He pulled a stool over for me and one for himself, situating the lone microphone in the middle. He started to play. My eyes widened when I recognized the opening chords. I looked at him as he started to sing.

Hey darling
I hope you’re good tonight
And I know you don’t feel right when I’m leaving
Yeah I want it but no, I don’t need it
Tell me something sweet to get me by
‘Cause I can’t come back home ‘til they’re singing

La, la la la, la la la
‘Til everyone is singing

If you can wait ‘til I get home
Then I swear to you
That we can make this last (La la la)
If you can wait ‘til I get home
Then I swear come tomorrow
This will all be in our past
Well it might be for the best


I leaned towards the microphone, returning the small smile that he was giving me.

And hey sweetie
Well I need you here tonight
And I know that you don’t want to be leaving
Yeah you want it, but I can’t help it
I just feel complete when you’re by my side
But I know you can’t come home ‘til they’re singin’

La, la la la, la la la
‘Til everyone is singin’
La, la la la, la la la


I sat up straight again as Jeremy started singing again.

If you can wait ‘til I get home
Then I swear to you that we can make this last (La la la)
If you can wait ‘til I get home
Then I swear come tomorrow, this will all be in our past
It might be for the best


I broke the eye contact that I had maintained with Jeremy as I sang the next verse.

You know you can’t give me what I need
And even though you mean so much to me
I can’t wait through everything


A nudge caused me to look back him. The look in his eyes made me feel like everyone in the café wasn’t there.

Is this really happening?
I swear I’ll never be happy again
And don’t you dare say we can just be friends
I’m not some boy that you can sway
We knew it’d happen eventually


I leaned back towards the microphone, ignoring the butterflies that erupted in my stomach when I realized how close we were.

La, la la la, la la la
Now everybody’s singin’
La, la la la, la la la
Now everybody’s singin’
(If you can wait ‘til I get home)
La, la la la, la la la
Now everybody’s singin’
(Then I swear we can make this last)
La, la la la, la la la
Now everybody’s singin’

If you can wait ‘til I get home
Then I swear we can make this last


I smiled at Jeremy, not taking my eyes off of him as the café cheered. He nodded his head towards the door. I nodded in response. He set down the guitar, took my hand, and led the way out of the café.

“What’d you think?” he asked me as we started walking home.

“That was amazing although I’d say more so because of you and not so much because of me,” I replied. I rolled his eyes.

“Please. You did just as good as I did.”

“Says the world famous singer.”

“Fame has nothing to do with talent.”

“So you’re saying an untalented person could get famous?” He didn’t say anything. “That’s what I thought.” Jeremy shook his head, chuckling a little.

“Not exactly. What I am trying to say is that you may not be a famous singer but you have a hell of a lot of talent.” I glanced away, blushing. “Is that a blush I saw?’

“One of many that I’ve had around you.”

“Oh trust me, I’ve seen all of them. I just never said anything.” My blush deepened, causing him to chuckle. “Blushing isn’t a bad thing. you know.”

“I know. It’s just embarrassing.”

“Well it’s adorable to me.” I shook my head. No more words were said as we walked home. I pressed a finger to my lips as we entered the dark apartment. All of the guys were sleeping, scattered around the living room.

“Good night,” I whispered to Jeremy. He whispered back as I headed down the hall. “Jesus Christ, Rachel! Don’t sit in my room like that!” I stage-yelled when I saw my redheaded best friend on my bed. She grinned.

“I had to talk to you!” she said.

“About?” I asked as I took a seat on my bed.

“Neil.” I raised an eyebrow in response. “We kissed.” My eyes widened.

“Rachel, why?”

“What do you mean why?”

“Why would you start something with him? They’re leaving in a few days to go back on tour.”

“So? We can get through them touring.”

“Not to mention that they live across the country in Florida and we live here in California.”

“I can make another big move. You seem to forget that I moved from North Carolina to here.” She stood up and put her hands on her hips. “And you’re one to talk. What about you and Jeremy, hm?”

“Nothing’s going on between us. We’re just friends.”

“Say that to Jeremy.” I rolled my eyes. “Neil told me that he did have feelings for you.”

“Yeah and I’m the queen of England.” I let out a sigh. “Look, I’m happy for you. I really am. I know things will work out between you two. If you want to move to Florida, I’ll move with you if you want.” Rachel smiled.

“You’re a great friend, you know that, Rose?” I shrugged. “I’ll leave you alone now. Good night.”

“Night.”