Pride

Lovers Quarrel

“I haven’t seen Kai around lately. Did you two have a lovers quarrel?”

“Father, I will butcher you and sell your internal organs in the black market.”

Laughing, my dad pats my back roughly, nearly sending me toppling out of my chair. Good thing my hands were on the table allowing me to grab hold and keep myself steady. Mom giggled, which made me send her an angry glare that she ignored. Really, why can’t my parents act normal and not say such things?

“We aren’t lovers so there’s no way we had a lovers quarrel,” I grumble angrily while taking a sip of my juice.

Shania laughs evilly beside me. “Could have fooled me.”

I glare at her. Useless little sister should keep her mouth shut! We don’t act like lovers. What is with everyone saying that?!

“Then did you have a fight?” Dad kisses mom’s cheek before taking a seat at the table beside me. It’s nice to have such caring parents but sometimes I wish they wouldn’t notice or ask about things. I really don’t know what to say about Kai. Although he promised to tell me everything eventually, when is eventually? It’s already been another month and I still know nothing.

“Kind of,” I reply although we didn’t actually fight. In a way we are fighting but in another we aren’t. We didn’t have a verbal fight, it’s more of a mental one. Kai knows that I want to know what’s going on but he isn’t telling me. Although I have refrained from shouting or asking anything more, Kai knows that I want to and it has been keeping him away from me. He has no idea that by doing that he’s only making me more curious. What could be going on that he can’t tell me?

He knows that I’ll listen to him. He knows that I care. He knows that I’m his best friend and I always will be. Whatever it is that’s bothering him, he can tell me. I’ll accept it and do whatever I can to help, if it’s something he needs help with. I just don’t get it. We’re best friends yet…there’s this huge gap between us. I don’t think he realizes how much it’s bothering me.

“Don’t worry sweetie,” mom says, placing a hand on my back and rubbing. “I’m sure whatever it is, you two will get through it together.”

“Yeah, I guess…well I’m going out today. Mindy and I are going to the park since they’re having a festival.” Mom and dad nod, telling me to be safe and all that jazz. Dad hands me thirty bucks, telling me to make sure I win something for Mindy because that’s just what guys are supposed to do. Shania desperately tries to talk me into taking her with me but I give her a stern “no.” I’m not taking my little sister, it’s just…no. I roll my eyes at him and say goodbye, grabbing my car keys to go pick up Mindy.

I step out of the elevator and head for the front doors of the apartment complex. Just as I push open the doors I see a familiar head of brown just down the street. My eyes follow him as he moves to a car parked on the curb. On impulse I start walking in his direction until I stop myself. Kai is already in the car, shutting the door behind him. I try to see who the driver is but a car pulls up in front of them and blocks my view. Damn it.

“You two need to get your shit straight already. I’m tired of being dragged around by you,” Mindy huffs, following me to the cotton candy stand where I buy us a bag of blue and pink. She shoves a piece into her mouth and watches as I do the same.

“You should feel honored being around such a handsome guy.”

“What handsome guy? I don’t see one.”

“Bitch,” I grunt, kicking my feet up as we walk. “Don’t be telling me though, tell Kai. He’s the one who is too busy to hang out with me anymore.”

“Still don’t know what he’s up to?” Mindy holds out her hand for money. I give her a dollar so that she can play a quick game at one of the stands where she wins a small yellow puppy. Giggling, she holds it against her chest and continues walking with me.

I shake my head in response to her question. “Nope. He told me he’d tell me but it’s been a month. You would think he’d have at least told me something. I saw him get picked up this morning by someone but I didn’t get to see who it was.”

“Maybe Kai is dating an older woman!” Mindy gasps, throwing her arms into the air. By the look on her face she was being serious but I can’t help myself. I laugh so hard I start to cry. Kai is scared shitless of girls. How could he get an older woman? “I’m serious, Shiloh! Stop thinking Kai can’t do it because he’s obviously doing something and we can’t rule anything out.”

“Yeah, yeah, sorry…it’s just weird to think of Kai with a girl.” He wouldn’t ditch me for a girl, right? “Enough about Kai though…I came out with you today to have some fun.”

“Kay! Let’s ride the Ferris Wheel then!” Mindy grabs my hand and tugs me off, not even giving me any time to protest. I hate heights and Mindy knows that very well by the end of the night. If she tells anyone, I will destroy her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, you all love me for updating this quickly so you know what I want or I might just have to keep all my pre-written chapters to myself ~laughs evilly
And yeah, what do you all think about Mindy and her idea's?
Hmmmm?
Also if you haven't checked out Cursed you totally should...
Comment&Subscribe?