Pride

Each Breath

The test that I have before me makes me angry. Just looking at the perfect score makes me want to plant my fist in Kai’s face. Once again, he has done the best and I stayed up all last night studying in hopes to pass but once again, all I got was a stupid C. Grunting, I toss the paper back at him and he desperately tries to catch the floating sheet but fails.

“There’s n-no need to be mad, Shiloh. You d-did good,” Kai mumbles, leaning over to pick up his test and put it in his folder. The boy smiles at me and maybe a part of me does feel a bit better hearing him say that but at the same time it just pisses me off. I can do better.

“I should have done better. I studied and everything!” I tug at my hair angrily. “How come when you study you get good grades and when I do I still suck?!”

“But y-you don’t. I j-just don’t have a life and study too much, that’s the o-only reason I get good grades.” Kai is trying to make me feel better and he’s succeeding. I can already feel my anger simmering down. Sighing, I lean back in my desk and decide that a C is good enough. I’ll just try more next time.

“Yeah…I guess you’re right. I still hate you though.”

Kai laughs. “I’d be worried if you didn’t.”

When the bell rings Kai and I get up and leave. Kai turns off his cell phone, something he has been doing since that time I answered his phone in the mall. Part of me is glad because that kid won’t call and interrupt us although I don’t own Kai so it shouldn’t matter if Garrett calls but also I kind of want him to call. Maybe there would be a chance for me to answer again and hopefully get some answers.

Kai is making sure that doesn’t happen though. Bastard.

“I rented Tron Legacy so we’re watching it once we get home,” I inform the boy walking beside me. He seems pleased with what I said and eagerly nods his head.

“O-Ok! I wanted to see it…I l-liked the first one although the graphics were pretty bad.”

I laugh. “Yeah, I heard this one was awesome.”

“Do you have popcorn?” Kai asks, squirming slightly beside me. I debate on telling him no because if I say I do then he will eat it all. Kai loves popcorn. It’s one of his favorite snacks. If I wasn’t around to stop him I’m sure he’d eat every single bag I have until he gets so sick he spits it back up, but I know even if I don’t tell him about the popcorn, he’ll find it. He has like a sixth sense, the ability to find popcorn no matter what.

“Yeah,” I grunt. “But if you eat it all, you’re buying me more.”

“O-Ok!” Kai suddenly loops his arms with mine. I feel his breath fanning against my cheek as he leans down to rest his head against my shoulder. Suddenly my cheeks feel incredibly hot and a tingling sensation shoots up my arm. My heart is beating so fast, I expect it to explode.

“What the hell are you doing?” I ask, stopping in my tracks. Kai seems to realize his mistake and backs up quickly, holding up his arms in defense. Both eyes are as wide as saucers and his lips are quivering as he speaks.

“I’m s-s-sorry! I just…I d-didn’t mean to! Sorry.” Kai waves his arms dramatically like that’ll somehow help his apology. Groaning, I shake my head at him and continue walking.

“Yeah, whatever, just stop acting like a damn girl.” And we’re home in no time, sitting on the floor side by side while watching Tron Legacy. My parents aren’t home, they went on a date. Sometimes I’m really glad they still act so young because it means they’re actually happy together. Then again…it also means they have a very healthy sex life and I often have to turn my TV on as loud as it can go so I don’t have to listen to them. Yuck!

Halfway through the movie I find myself in an awkward situation. Every fiber of my being suddenly stops whatever it’s doing due to the shock. There’s a slight tingling sensation making its way to my shoulder where it goes wild, forcing my heart to beat quicker than it once was. My face feels incredibly hot and I tell myself that I’m not blushing but if anyone were to walk in they would see how red I am.

Kai’s head had somehow managed to rest itself on my shoulder. His body has curled itself up against my own and he managed to wrap an arm around mine. With his lips slightly parted, he makes a soft humming sound whenever he exhales. Kai’s hot breath fans across my shoulder, heating up the skin beneath my shirt. My fingers twitch with the desire to touch punch him but I swallow those feelings and refrain from doing so.

Each breath I inhale causes Kai’s soft locks to tickle against my neck. My body shivers in pleasure disgust and so I turn my head to face him, preparing to shout at him and force the boy to remove himself from my shoulder. However, I can’t get myself to do that. With my face just hovering inches over his, I realize just how cute strangely Kai sleeps.

His hair is delicately brushing across his face, framing it perfectly. His lips and skin look incredibly soft and I learn just how soft it is when I raise my hand to ghost it across his cheek. I never realized how long Kai’s eyelashes were until now. He really is just like a girl.

Kai hums quietly and squirms slightly beside me. My body stiffens immediately, scared Kai might awake to find himself like this. There is no way in hell I am going to let that happen! So before Kai has anytime to awake, I shove him away and shout, “The hell are you doing!”

I blame my erratic breaths and flushing cheeks on the fact that I’m angry with him. It’s the only logical explanation because there is no way in hell my heart is beating this fast because it enjoyed the contact. Nope. Skirts for life.

Kai grumbles and gently pushes himself back up into a sitting position since I had knocked him down. Humming to himself, he rubs tiredly at his eyes and glances over in my direction. “W-What?”

“You were practically cuddling me, you freak! I’m not a damn pillow.” Angrily crossing my arms, I huff and turn away. I can’t let Kai see how red my cheeks got. He may get the wrong idea and honestly, I don’t want to explain anything to him.

“Oh…sorry,” Kai whispers, pulling his legs up to his chest. “I’m just tired…c-can we finish the movie another time?”

“Yeah, whatever, like I give a damn.” Yes, yes keep this up Shiloh. Kai will never realize your moment of pure insanity. Standing, I walk over to my dresser to grab both Kai and myself a pair of sleep pants. Tossing a pair to him, I ask, “Why are you so tired anyways? You always go to bed on time.”

Kai shrugs and begins changing into what I gave him. He speaks as he’s doing so and his voice is slightly muffled from the removal of his shirt. “I was j-just on the phone a while last n-night and stayed up later than I s-should have.”

With Garret? That’s what I wanted to ask, so badly. I want to know why our friendship isn’t as strong as it once was. I want to know what he’s up to and I can tell by the look on Kai’s face that he knows what I’m thinking. Kai sighs and brings up his hand to chew on his nails. It looks as though he’s been doing that a lot lately because the damn things are so chipped up its disgusting.

“Kai, are you really that big of a dumbass or just forgetful? What the hell did I say about chewing your nails?” I stomp over, smack his hand away and grab hold of his chin, squeezing it and making him look like a fish. It makes me start to laugh. He looks like such an idiot with his lips puckered up and eyes wide.

“I’m sorry,” he says, voice muffled and there’s a bit of drool beginning to run down the side of his mouth. “I just…b-bad habit.”

“Mhm,” I continue to laugh and finally let go of the boy, allowing his face to return to normal. He wipes the drool from the side of his lips with his arm. Shaking my head, I jump into bed and throw the covers over me. There’s a squeaking sound coming from my left and I know its Kai. Soon I feel his back pressing against mine. I shiver at the touch.

“Goodnight, Shiloh,” Kai says quietly, his hand reaching back to lightly stroke my arm for a mere second until I swat it away with a scoff.

“Whatever…you too, Kai.” And the two of us fall asleep and I swear I don’t fall asleep with a smile on my face because of him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Six days since I updated?
Hmm maybe it's because of the lack of comments
Lol jk, it was because I forgot. I apologize but here you go, an update
Now send me love!!

Comment&Subscribe?