You've Played Your Way Into My Heart

One

“Dawn, get your lazy butt out of bed!” Kyle, my brother commanded from my doorframe.

“Fuck off.” I growled, bringing the covers up over my eyes as a sudden light flooded the room.

“Don’t make me come over there.” He warned. I heard his footsteps on the wooden floor of my bedroom.

“Let me sleep.” I begged.

“No.” He hissed. I felt my comforter being abruptly ripped off me as more light filled my eyes.

“The light. It burns!” I complained while being extremely vampire-like. I rubbed my eyes and sat up on my bed. Apparently I was getting up.

“Get yourself dressed. You’re coming to band practice. The guys are missing you.” He smirked triumphantly at the fact that he’d gotten me up.

My heart pounded when he said that. Was anyone in particular missing me? Like maybe…Paul? A swarm of butterflies was set loose in my stomach at the simple thought of him.

Paul and I were always closest of everyone in Kyle’s band. I’d never known why, but I liked it. I liked him . But I wasn’t so sure he liked me back. That was the problem. And even if he did, there was no way we could ever be together. Kyle wouldn’t allow it. Yes, I know. Who would’ve guessed that my over-protective brother wouldn’t allow me to date his best friend?

I shook all thoughts of Paul from my head and headed over to my dresser. I pulled out a plain pair of skinny jeans, no fancy colour, just blue. Denim. On top of that, I pulled on a white tank and an old plaid button-up of my brother’s. It was worn in perfectly.

I ran downstairs and met with Kyle, slipping my shoes on and leaving outside with him as he grabbed his keys.

We got into his truck, and it roared to life as he put the key into the ignition and twisted it.

It was only about a fifteen minute ride over to Matt’s house, where practice was held. In his garage. I loved watching everyone in the band practice, seeing the way everyone’s face lit up at what they were doing. Especially Paul’s. His crystal blue eyes practically shined when he played his guitar. He played each string to perfection, usually watching his fingers so he wouldn’t slip. But every now and then I’d get the occasional glance, as I was the band’s only audience member. I usually shrugged it off, not reading too much into it. I figured he was just practicing staring into some pretty girl’s eyes, pretending to play to her. But deep down inside, I hoped that I was the pretty girl.