Bullets

It's Time

The next few weeks passed with little sign of a confirmation for Joey. While normally his summer holidays would have been filled with hangouts with his friends, he instead chose to remain hidden in his room, only speaking to those who came to him. The papers had appeared to grow tired of the conscription news much to the teenager’s relief, leaving him to try and find another world he could divulge himself in.

His parents were of no assistance, however. He soon grew tired of his father’s constant rages at the television every time they mentioned the President, complete with snide remarks about how anyone could do a better job than they could. Adrienne, thankfully, remained a little more reserved – yet the concern for her son and the annoyance at her husband’s immaturity was clearly taking its toll.

While discussions over the situation were frequent downstairs, upstairs Joey chose to immerse himself in reading, listening to music or playing guitar, positive that he could at least pretend that everything was fine in his life. He avoided contact with both Estelle and Melanie, knowing that they’d eventually try to make him see fit. He hadn’t spoken to Melanie since he broke the news to her, except for a few conversations on the phone during which she sounded unusually distant.

It was one particularly hot afternoon that Adrienne interrupted his Sex Pistols session, softly tapping at his door until he responded.

“What do you want?” Joey called moodily, reluctantly switching off his music. He heard muttering from outside his door before his mother spoke.

“There’s someone to see you.”

The teenager trudged over and opened his door, his face slipping into one of surprise as he saw his girlfriend standing beside Adrienne. “Melanie?”

“Yeah, it’s me… I’m surprised you haven’t forgotten my name,” she replied with a slight smile. She peered over his shoulder. “Mind if I talk to you?”

Joey saw his mother give him a confused glance out of the corner of his eye. Ignoring her, he turned his focus back to Melanie, who was looking at him expectantly. “Uh… sure?” he replied, stepping aside from the door to let his girlfriend in. His mother looked at him again, before turning around and making her way back downstairs.

By the time the teenager had closed his door, Melanie was sitting down by his desk, ruffling through the papers that Estelle had left behind. She appeared slightly dumbfounded by what she was reading; Joey, a little irritated, avoided thinking about their content.

“Um – Melanie?” he asked, trying to keep his voice level. “You said you wanted to talk?” The teenager gritted his teeth, yet he could feel himself begin to feel confused. He still didn't really understand what was making him prone to outbursts of rage towards his own friends.

“Oh, right – sorry,” she said hastily, pushing herself away from the desk and standing up. Her eyes cast a worried look upon his face, studying him closely. “Joe… have you – have you been okay?” She bit the corner of her lip, looking tentative.

“What do you mean, ‘okay’?” Joey replied roughly. “I think I look okay, don’t you?”

Melanie winced at his sharp tone. “I’ll take that as a no, then.” She looked down at the floor, avoiding his gaze. Joey felt a twinge of guilt and he loosened his tough stance. He knew Melanie was only feeling concerned for him, and she had perfect right to. Hell, he felt concerned for himself. He was breaking down all barriers with his friends when all they were trying to do was help.

“Look, I’m sorry,” he apologized. “Me being an angsty piece of shit gives me no reason to treat you like that.”

She looked up, giving a small smile. “I think you have the right to be an angsty piece of shit, though.”

Joey sighed. “I’d prefer it if I didn’t have any reason to act that way, to be honest.” His eyes flicked to the papers, an ugly reminder of how he had been feeling when Estelle last visited. The silence between he and his closest two friends wasn’t doing him any good.

“I know,” she said softly, “but just remember that we’ve still got a little bit of time.” She gave him a meaningful look.

“Time?” he replied blankly.

Melanie shook her head, trying to hide her smile. “Don’t forget, stupid, that you’ve got a little bit more time until they actually enforce conscription and start calling you all up for training. The government’s not going to do it immediately… so you’ve got time to enjoy yourself while the freedom lasts.” She tilted her head slightly, raising an eyebrow. “And to hatch a plan.”

“Yeah… I s’pose…”

“Look, Joey,” she said patiently, “you’ve got to stop thinking about this as though everybody’s out to get you. It’s not the end of the world, you know. Your parents, me, Estelle… we’re here to get you through it. And don’t say -” she added warningly, upon seeing Joey open his mouth to argue – “that we don’t get what you’re going through, because we do.”

“You sound exactly like Estelle."

Melanie gave him a meaningful look. “Joe, if it weren’t for that girl I probably wouldn’t have come around today.”

“What?”

She looked at him sadly. “I was a mess after you broke the news to me,” she admitted softly. “And so I gave you space. Estelle told me how you’d been feeling and I felt guilty. I’m your girlfriend. I’m meant to support you.”

“It’s not your fault I haven’t kept in contact – “

“Estelle made me see sense,” Melanie continued. “And she’s right about everything.”

Joey sighed. Trust Estelle to make his own girlfriend see sense, seeing as he was in too much of a state to do it himself. He slumped down onto the edge of his bed, head in hands. He felt Melanie sit gently beside him, her hand resting upon his thigh.

“Just… just don’t do anything stupid… ’kay?”

Joey lifted his head from his hands and saw his girlfriend giving him a serious look. He tilted his head slightly, giving a small smile before cupping her chin and giving her a kiss. “’Kay. I’ll do everything smart just for you.”

She smiled, and, at that moment, Joey decided that from now on he was all fight and no hiding.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know the last few chapters have been a little repetitive, but now that it's all done stuff will get a little more... moving-forward-like. Thanks for reading again, guys. I really appreciate it.