X-Rays and Hockey Games

Evgeni Malkin

"Alright, Mr. Malkin, I just need you to get on this table, and we can get this MRI over with, " I said, getting the MRI machine ready for Pittsburgh Penguin Evgeni Malkin. This was a dream come true, because I absolutely loved the Penguins, and Evgeni Malkin, or Geno as his teammates called him, was my favorite. I've had a crush on him for as long as I can remember.

"Alright. Like this?" he asked as he laid down on the table. He has his legs perfectly straight, and his arms at his sides.

"Actually, you can put your arms over your chest if you want to be more comfortable. I just need to elevate your knee a little, so I'm going to put this around it. You just need to be sure you stay completely still, OK?" I asked, wrapping his knee in a towel to raise it a little and keep it straight.

"Yes ma'am," he said politely, putting his arms on his chest, trying to get comfortable. He was so polite, and his English was improving dramatically. I smiled down at his beautiful face.

"This machine gets a little loud, would you like some ear plugs?" I asked, reaching over to get him a few.

"Yes please," he said as I handed them to him. "Thank you so much," he said, smiling back up at me. I then left the room with the MRI machine and went into the office used to operate the machine. I then got everything situated and got on the microphone.

"Alright, I'm going to start it up now. I need to you stay absolutely still for me, OK?" I asked, turning on the machine.

30 Minutes Later---

The MRI was finally over, so I turned off the machine and went back into the room to get Evgeni out of the machine. "Alright, you are all done, Mr. Malkin," I said, unwrapping his knee and helping him up.

"Please, call me Evgeni. And thank you.... I don't know your name. Can I get your name?" he asked, staring at me expectantly. I smiled at him.

"My name is Amber," I giggled a little at his shyness. We then shook hands, him with a big smile on his face. "And you are quite welcome, Evgeni. Despite the circumstances, it was a pleasure to meet you. I'm a huge Penguins fan," I said, surprised at how outgoing I was being right now. Usually I'm pretty shy, but for some reason, not with him.

"Really? Well, I would love to take you to our next game, if you're interested. I could get you a seat by the bench, even though I won't be there," he said, laughing cockily. I couldn't get over how amazing his smile was. I couldn't look away. I smiled widely and answered him.

"That would be awesome! But I don't think it would be the same as it would if you were playing," I replied, looking down at the ground, embarrassed now.

"So, is that a yes then?" he asked, unsure of what I was talking about.

"That is a yes, but I won't be able to see you play. I would love to see you play."

"I'll be there, and we could meet up afterwards, how about that?" he asked, trying to persuade me to agree, which I did, of course. I couldn't say no to him.

"Yeah, absolutely! I would love to! Thank you so much, Evgeni!" I said, giving him a big hug as we left the office. My shift was over, and I was heading home. As I was getting into my car, Evgeni handed me a ticket. "You already had it!?" I asked surprised.

"You never know when you're going to meet a beautiful Penguins fan," he said, and winked at me as he gave it to me. "Oh, and stay at your seat after the game is over, OK? I'll meet you at your seat." With that, he hobbled over to his car.

"Alright. Thank you!" I shouted as he got into his car. Then I went home, excited to go to the game tomorrow.

After the Game---

The Pens had just lot 9-3 to the Islanders, and it was safe to assume that I was upset. That was until I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to face the smiling face of Evgeni Malkin, and I immediately felt better.

"Thank you for waiting," he said, smiling at me and sitting down in the seat next to me. "Some game, huh?" he asked sarcastically.

"Please, don't get me started," I replied sadly. I looked at him, waiting for him to say something.

"Alright, I won't. I can tell you are upset about it. But I did want to tell you something," he said shyly.

"What? Are you OK? Is your knee bothering you again?" I asked hastily. I didn't want him to be hurt all the time. That's why he came in for the MRI in the first place.

"No, I'm fine. I just wanted to tell you that I think you are a beautiful girl. I love your dark hair and hazel eyes," he said, looking out at the ice.

"Really? You think I'm beautiful? But you're so much taller than me," I laughed light-heartedly. I stopped laughing when I saw that he was serious though. I just sat there waiting for him to say something.

"This might seem a little forward of me, but I think I love you. I know its only been a day and I hardly know you, but its true. I love you, Amber."

"Really? Because, believe it or not, I love you too, Evgeni Malkin." With that, we leaned in and shared the most romantic kiss I had ever had. I knew Geno was the one for me from the get-go. And now he was mine for real.