Cherish Forever

Number Twelve

Piper, Hermione and Ron were waiting anxiously in the common room a couple weeks later. Harry had heard that Dumbledore wanted to have private lessons with him, and he was to return from the first meeting any minute now.

"What do you reckon Dumbledore wanted to teach him?" Ron asked, while writing something on his Charms assignment. He paused for a moment, and put his quill down, "I give up. I don't see the point of writing the purpose of the Homorphus Charm, anyway."

Hermione shot Ron a disapproving look, "Well, Ron, what else would you do if you ran into a werewolf? Run up a tree? It would be much more helpful if you just changed it back to its human form."

Ron opened and closed his mouth many times, trying to think of something to say. He looked to Piper, who merely shrugged. Ron sighed and picked his quill back up, dipped it into his ink, and continued writing, "I hope Dumbledore's teaching Harry some charm that finishes your homework for you," he mumbled under his breath.

Piper raised her eyebrows and chuckled a little. She had finished all of her homework after dinner, and she was glad she did, "I have no idea what he could be teaching him. It's probably something interesting. What do you think Hermione?" She looked at her friend who was completely engrossed in a large green book. What it was about, Piper had no clue.

"Really, Piper, could you say anything more stupid? Of course, it's interesting! Otherwise Dumbledore wouldn't want a private lesson!" Hermione snapped.

Piper was taken aback a bit by Hermione's outburst, "Alright, sorry. Gee Hermione, what's wrong? You've been acting bitchy all week."

"It's nothing," Hermione sighed, "It's just... It's my week..." She stared at Piper, as if trying to send her a telepathic message. Unfortunately, for Ron, it wasn't quite telepathic.

"Hermione! There are male ears in the room!" Ron looked like he wanted to throw up his curry he had eaten for dinner.

Before anyone could say anything else, the common room door opened, and in came Harry. The three immediately ran up to him, demanding to know what happened. Harry walked over to one of the couches and sat down, Hermione, Ron, and Piper following suit.

"So? What did Dumbledore want to teach you?" Piper asked.

"Well, he showed me something, rather than teaching me. Well I got to Dumbledore's office, and he brought me into his Pensieve, you know, the thing that shows you people's memories," The three nodded as they remembered previous stories of the Pensieve, "It was some bloke named Bob Ogden. He was in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. He was going to some man, Mr. Gaunt's, cottage. His son Morfin, who only speaks Parseltongue, and he had used a hex on a Muggle. Mr. Ogden was supposed to give him a hearing notice.

Mr. Gaunt's daughter Merope was treated like dung, just because she was a Squib. He threatened her, and she had to cook for him and his son. She was in love with a Muggle, Tom Riddle Senior."

Hermione and Piper gasped. Clueless Ron had no idea what was going on, "What? What's going on that I don't know about?"

"Tom Riddle Senior, Ron! That means he was Voldemort's father!" Hermione explained, and although he visibly winced at Voldemort's name, Ron's jaw dropped, "Of course! And Merope was Voldemort's mother, right Harry?"

"Right. Dumbledore thinks she gave him a love potion without him knowing. So they got married and gave birth to Voldemort," Harry ignored Ron's wincing, but Piper gave him a sympathetic smile.

"Why do you think Dumbledore showed you this?" Piper inquired.

"He said this has to do with the prophecy. I'm not quite sure what the connection is."

***

After staying in the common room to chat for a bit, the four decided to get to sleep. Hermione and Piper headed to the girls dormitory, and Ron and Harry went to the boys'.

Since Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil were already asleep, they tried to make as little noise as possible as they changed into their pajamas and brushed their teeth. They exchanged their quiet goodnight's and went to sleep, Piper once again falling into that horrid dream of her brother.