Ready When You Are

Are We Gonna Make It

“Kenley?” I felt a hand rustle me slightly.

I groaned, my eyes still closed as I cuddled myself in the sheets of the bed. I heard a sigh and a grunt before a few drawers opened and I felt clothing fall on top of me.

“We’re going out.”

But I didn’t want to go out. I had stayed in bed the past few days, only coming out for meals or to find service to text Em back. Where along that did Brendan get the impression that I wanted to see the light of day? I groaned again, wrapping myself even tighter in the blankets.

It had been almost a week since the whole Garrett vs. Brendan incident. And so far, there was nothing. I hadn’t heard a peep from Garrett or anything even resembling communication between the two of us. The only person I had talked to was Emerson, but it was mostly her telling me to get out. But we both knew it wasn’t that easy.

Maybe it was for the best that Garrett didn’t try to talk to me. I obviously wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon, it was best for him to just forget about everything that happened the past few months. I wish I could forget.

Even that seemed unbearable. All I had were these memories now. And I had to hold onto those.

“Get up, babe.”

I stayed silent.

“Come on, I have a show and you haven’t come to one of them yet. You always have a fucking excuse. Now let’s go.”

“My head hurts.”

I wasn’t lying, it still did.

Brendan sighed, “Babe cut the crap and let’s go.”

“I’m tired, Bren.”

Another long sigh.

“I can’t leave you here alone.”

At least the man had found a rational reason for his actions. If I told Em I was alone, she would come over for me in a heartbeat. And I wouldn’t stop her. My mind flashed with ways I could get this to work.

Slowly I brought my eyes up to meet Brendan’s, trying to be as sincere as I could. But it was difficult, especially with his cold mud-colored eyes glaring back at me. I missed Garrett’s blue eyes.

“Babe,” I smiled, “I just need sleep. I’ll come to the next one. I love you.”

A smile itched across his face as he nodded. This was too easy. He planted a cold kiss on my forehead and grabbed his bag from the corner.

“I’ll see you soon, Lee.”

He really needed to stop calling me that. As soon as he shut the door I flung myself out of my bed, grabbing my phone and dialing Em’s number.

“Pick up, pick up.” I whispered nervously.

With each ring my heart beat fast and faster. I leaned against the window nervously, picking at my shorts as I watched the cars pass on the road, secretly waiting for a certain yellow one to swerve into my driveway. But there was nothing.

All of a sudden the rings stopped and my face lit up, only to be met with:

“Hey it’s Emerson, I’m either busy or I just don’t want to talk to you. You should know which category I am currently in. Bye!”

I sighed and flipped my phone shut, dialing her number a few more times before growing aggravated. This was the only chance I had to leave.

Quickly I ran to my bedroom, leaning under my bed and pulling out a purple suitcase. I laid it on the bed, moving over to my drawers and taking heaps and heaps of clothing and throwing them into the suitcase. Then I moved to the bathroom and piled my things into my hands, putting them in one of the side pockets of the suitcase before pacing around the apartment and taking what was mine.

As I stumbled out of the living room I tripped on Brendan’s guitar sitting on the wall. I hated it when he left it there.

Then it clicked.

Brendan’s guitar was here. Brendan was playing a show in an hour. He would need his guitar.

My heart beat quickly. How idiotic could he be? Was he that wrapped up in his plot to keep me here? I stood up quickly, running to the bedroom and grabbing my things before I stood in front of the door and sighed as my hand gripped the handle.

I couldn’t just leave. I wasn’t that kind of person. I was tired of being so weak. Brendan, as terrible as he may be, deserved a note. Something. I could give him that much.

Again I began to move quickly, running to the printer in the far side of the living room and grabbing a pencil and a pen.

Then I began to write.

Dear Brendan,

By the time you’ll be reading this, I’ll be gone. We both knew this was going to happen. I’m not happy anymore, you could see that. And we’ve been through a lot together. But just because we’ve been together for so long doesn’t mean we need to be together any longer. You’re just not what I need anymore, and I’m not what you need either.

Things changed when we got here. I changed, and so did you. We both changed into such different people with such different focuses, to the point where I hardly knew you anymore. And somewhere along the way, I stopped loving you.

And do not blame this on Garrett. It’s not his fault. It’s ours. As much as you want to point the finger at him, you can’t. He didn’t do anything wrong. I cheated. But not to spite you or to use him. I just fell in love with him while stuff was going wrong with us. You left a space and he filled it, and that’s all. It wasn’t planned, so don’t think tha


Suddenly I heard something.

A light strum of a guitar, and a soft voice singing soft, familiar lyrics. My hand stopped on the paper and I turned to the door.

”Two hearts fading like a flower, and all this waiting for the power. For some answer to this fire sinking slowly, waters higher.”

I moved slowly to the door, walking cautiously with each step.

”Mhm desire.”

My heart pounded at that familiar soft, honest, smooth voice singing Ryan Adams.

“With no secrets, no obsession, this time I’m speeding with no direction. With no reason what is this fire? Burning slowly, my one and only.”

I grasped the skin over my heart and put my hand on the handle as the guitar continued to strum. Softly I turned the handle, to be met with those ocean colored eyes and that messy reddish brown-red hair. That genuine half smile greeting me as he sung the next lyrics, with whatever singing voice he had. He sang his best Ryan Adams impersonation, closing his eyes tightly as he sang:

“You know me, you know my way in. You just can’t show me but god I’m praying that you’ll find me and that you’ll see me and that you’ll run and never tire.”

The world seemed to stop for a second as we looked at each other, waiting for someone to say something. But I could feel the waters rising in my heart, the happiness filling me at the sight of him standing there.

Almost involuntarily, I held onto the collar of his jean jacket and pulled him in, kissing him hard on the mouth and wrapping my hands around his neck. I could feel his smile as we kissed, our lips moving in synch. It felt so right, every touch of his hand against my shoulder as he pulled me closer.

“I was starting to think you were done with me.” I smirked as my forehead hit his.

Garrett’s eyes went wide as he shook his head. “Done with you? Lee we’re just getting started.”

He kissed me again before looking at me.

“So, are we gonna break you the fuck out of here or what?”

Quickly I jumped back, grabbing Garrett’s hand and pulling him into the house. Brendan was going to be back any minute. We had to move quickly.

"You came at the perfect time." I laughed.

"Pfft." Garrett shrugged. "On purpose, of fuckin' course."

“Brendan’s at a show.” I said, noticing Garrett let out a sigh of relief. “So we have to move quickly.”

He nodded, grabbing one of my bags off my bed and adjusting his glasses.

“Trey is downstairs in the getaway car, he has it all ready for us. We’ve been planning this! I thought I’d have to punch your boyfriend though. Or try to.”

I shook my head and held his hand again, kissing him lightly. “My hero.” I laughed.

“I like the sound of that!”

Laughing, I held my last back in my hand and ran out the door with Garrett, running down the stairs as fast as we could.

The yellow car was waiting on the edge of the curb with Trey in the front seat, nervously hitting the side of the car and egging us in. He smiled at the sight of me and I couldn’t help but smile back as Garrett pulled me into the car, my bags hitting the floor as I grasped onto Garrett’s hand.

It was only when we rolled out into the street that I looked back and noticed Brendan’s car rolling in. He had no idea what he was going to find. He would find an empty apartment and a note that I never got to finish.

But this moment was perfect. My head on Garrett shoulder as he held me tightly, leaving little kissing on my head as he stroked my hair. It was just that little sense of being with each other, holding each other and being happy that we had each other again. It was so simple and I couldn’t have asked for a better moment. Garrett was great.

“The Ryan Adams serenade was my idea, Kenley. Don’t let this dickhead take credit for it!” Trey interrupted my thoughts.

I laughed as I looked up at Garrett.

“Shut up man, I chose the song!”

Trey looked back at me and smirked. “I helped. A lot.”

I laughed as I leaned onto Garrett’s shoulder, sighing. He kissed me lightly on the head and whispered in my ear, “You did like it though, right?”

“It was perfect.” I kissed him softly. “Where are we going?”

“Casa de la Nickelsen.” Trey smiled back at us.

Garrett nodded. “My mom said it was cool.”

I nodded quickly and bit my lip. They really had planned this thoroughly, and just for me. I was so happy. I grasped his hand tightly as Garrett pulled in the driveway, parking the car and grabbing my bags from under my feet.

Garrett hopped out of the car and led me to the front steps.

“Gare?” I stopped him.

“Yeah Lee?”

I paused, looking up at those blue eyes before laughing a little to myself. “Thank you.”

Garrett leaned in, pressing his lips to my forehead before putting his forehead on mine and closing his eyes.

“I had to do it.” He smiled. “He wasn't good for you. I'm the one that fucking loves you."

I nodded slowly. “I love you too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Trey and Garrett to the rescue!
So there are prob a TON of mistakes here but just ignore them for me, ok? I wanted to get this out cause I haven't updated for a while.

I'm sad this is almost over. I really love writing about Garrett and I wrote Kenley as me. But no worries, I PROMISE I'll start another Garrett story. No sequel for this one though, sorry :/

Feedback would be great, as always.