Status: In Progress

Falling Into Place

Chapter 24

I lay in my bed, tossing and turning unable to sleep. I thought about what I just did, the fear in Derek's eyes, the strange feeling that something was wrong with Summer, and the idea I wasn't the same anymore. Who am I? I'm not the same Jessica anymore... The old Jessica would've never gotten into a fight with her mom, or beat up her ex-boyfriend..

I knew my thoughts wouldn't shut off and I just had this terrible feeling I was missing something. I looked at my phone saw it was only 9:00 pm I groaned, I should be doing something fun on a Saturday night, instead of laying in my bed. I turned on the tv in my room, surprisingly it was on the weather/news channel. It was talking about a person that got shot, but it didn't say who, feeling depressed I turned it off.

I sighed, remembering the feeling that something was wrong with Summer I sent her a text, or maybe like four. The bright light of my phone hurt my eyes, so I got up and paced my room back and forth for while knowing something was really wrong, my house was too quiet. I wondered if I should go downstairs then I remembered my fight with my mom.

I checked my stereo, it was still on the same old station it had always been on, with another sigh I turned it on just loud enough for me to hear and fell back onto my bed.

Somewhere into the night I must've fallen asleep because I dreamed about the big house and the memory. The house was a huge red mansion. The giant spiral staircase caught my attention. It was huge, and graceful, the kind that you could ride the banister down, which I had the feeling that I'd done many times.

I walked through the house like a ghost till I walked into a room with three little kids in it. One was a small blondish girl; the other girl was a slightly taller brunette. The last kid in the room was a boy who was taller than both of them and resembled the smaller blonde girl, or maybe the blonde girl resembled him? I couldn't hear what they were talking about, but they all looked excited, from where I stood I only caught part of the conversation.

"She might..."

"Only time will tell..."

As I stepped closer, the voices got clearer, I was just about to make out full sentences, when I was pulled out of dreamland by a familiar melody. Opening my eyes it took me only a few moments to wake up enough to find my alarm clock blaring, telling me to get up and ready for church. I looked at the clock’s blurry numbers to see it’s 9:30A.M. leaving me only 25 minutes to get ready.

I sat up far too fast and was blinded by the sunlight streaming in through my curtains. My radio was still playing; it was a slow depressing song. My mind felt muddled. It was probably just a dream... right?

I quickly wrote down my dream so I didn’t forget it, which took me five minutes, leaving me only 20 to get ready for church.

After church I got home and went through some of my mom’s old picture books from when I was little, while she was at work. I was stunned to find one of the house in my dreams. Maybe it wasn’t a dream after all, but a memory?

I had turned on the news again, the person shot nagging me in the back of my mind. Suddenly my brain registered what I was hearing.

“Just in, the person shot has been identified as none other than Jack Clemens.” I flinched.

“Shit. Not Jack….” I raced around the house to find my keys, and coat, than ran out of the house, locking the door to go to the hospital.