Status: Completed!

Come One, Come All to This Tragic Affair

Don't Push Your Luck

It was sheer luck that we’d been in the grocery store at the same time Jaden and Charlie were.
And it was sheer luck that everyone else had left before me.
“I should get going.” She jumped when she realized how close behind her I was standing.
“Thanks for helping me out.” She turned around and I could see her cheeks flushing.
I took a step closer, and then another when she didn’t move.
What the hell are you doing Frank? The smart part of me yelled. I didn’t know, but it entailed slipping one hand into Jaden’s curls and kissing her.
She responded quickly, wrapping her arms around my neck tightly. My free hand slid under the back of her t-shirt, tracing over her spine. I backed her into the wall and she wrapped her legs around my waist.
She sucked my lip ring into her mouth. I was surprised because a) no one had ever done that before and b) I didn’t think she was that kind of girl.
We finally pulled away to come up for air.
“Good night Jaden.” I whispered, setting her down on her feet.
“Good night Frank.” She disappeared into what I figured was her bedroom and I left.
She didn’t answer when I knocked on her door the next day.
Or the day after that.
And then I had to go back to the studio so I couldn’t talk to her.
“Hey man, the gallery opening is today. She’s gonna be there.” Gee knows I’ve been in a funk since that night. “Wear a suit.”
“I’ll be there.” I rushed home to shower and get ready.
I don’t think I’ve ever tried this hard for a girl.
Then again, I’ve never actually had to try. There’s a whole group of fan girls who’d love to do naughty things to me because I’m in My Chemical Romance.
I’m going to have to fight for Jaden.
Gerard was waiting outside for me when I showed up at the gallery.
“Should I be this nervous?” He asked when he saw me.
“It’s your art they’re looking at. It’s normal.” It didn’t seem to help much and we went in.
I had never been to a gallery opening before and I thought it was just gonna be a bunch of snobby rich people critiquing the art.
There were a lot of those, but there were also some people who looked like they were my age and just as uncomfortable in their suits.
“Do you see Charlie or Jaden?” Gee asked, craning his neck over the crowd. I spotted the two of them standing in the corner with glasses of champagne.
My heart stuttered and started to beat normally again. Jaden looked so beautiful tonight.
She was wearing a white dress that only had one sleeve and fluttered when she moved.
Charlie waved us over to them.
“They love your stuff.” Jaden told Gee. “I haven’t heard one snobby society lady say anything bad about it.”
“I’m glad.” Gerard moved to stand next to Charlie, leaving me to stand there awkwardly with Jaden.
“Ms. Peretta, a wonderful opening as usual.” An older woman who looked like she bathed in money shot me a grimace and gave Jaden an air kiss.
“Mrs. Force, always a pleasure to see you. I’m glad you like it. That’s the artist.” She pointed to Gerard and the old woman went to harass him. It seemed like every time I’d just gotten my nerve to say something someone would come over to talk to Jaden. She eventually got sucked into the crowd and I lost track of her.
“Can you quit flirting for a second?” I waited for Gerard to turn towards me. “I’m gonna go out and smoke.”
“Later.” He turned back to Charlie and I sighed.
Even Gee can get a girl and I can’t.
I opened the door to the outside and saw a familiar figure in white standing outside.
“Long time no see.” I said, digging in my coat for my cigarettes and lighter.
“The smell of money is giving me a headache.” She rubbed her arms and I heard her teeth chattering. I draped my jacket over her shoulders. “Thanks.”
“No problem.” I stuck a cigarette into my mouth and I was about to light it when she pulled it out of my mouth and threw it off the balcony. “Can I ask why you did that?”
“What’d I tell you about smoking? Give me the pack.” There was a no nonsense look on her face so I handed them over. She threw it into a trashcan nearby.
I didn’t tell her that I have another one at home.
“I don’t kiss smokers.” She said after a heartbeat of silence.
“You’ve been avoiding me.”
“I haven’t been home. I went to my parents’ house for the weekend. Why, were you looking for me?”
“It’s not my style to suck someone’s face off and then not call them the next day.”
“Keep talking. You’re building up your case to let you do it again.”
“You are the most stubborn girl I’ve ever met.” She was quiet for a long moment.
“My husband died a year ago of lung cancer. He was my first boyfriend. I always thought he would be my last. I…don’t really know how to go about having a relationship with someone else. All I know is that I’m attracted to you big time and it makes me feel like shit because it’s only been a year. And to top it all off, my family believes that if your husband dies you don’t get remarried. Or date.”
“You’re 26. What, do they want you to be a nun?”
“Basically. So looks like if I do end up with you, which to me looks pretty damn possible, my family will murder me.”
“I feel so flattered that you’re risking the wrath of Italians to be with me.”
“I’m a pretty wrathful Italian myself.”
“I know. I’ve been on the receiving end.”
“Sorry about that.”
“I really wish you hadn’t thrown away my cigarettes.”
“If you want to get anywhere near me with that mouth you’ll stop smoking.”
“You present a hard case Peretta. I can handle that.” We settled into a comfortable silence, just listening to the traffic and the muffled noise from inside the gallery. “I’m freezing. Come warm me up?”
“You just want an excuse to hold me.” She put her arms around my waist and rested her cheek against my chest. “I can hear your heartbeat. Why’s it going so fast?”
“Would it sound super corny if I said it was because you’re so close to me?”
“I like corny romanticism.”
“Well then you’re gonna fucking love me.”
“Don’t push your luck Iero.”
♠ ♠ ♠
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=25619001