Status: finished!

Addicted to Love

05.

Michael wasn't an angry person, though his heritage would tell you differently. He was stereotypically German and Irish only in his ability to drink anyone who challenged him under the table, but not in temperament in any way. He was a genuinely happy person, most of the time. Now was not one of the times.

He felt the anger brewing inside of him as he hurried back into the restaurant of The Peninsula. His eyes scanned the patrons before stopping on Alyssa Bauer. She sat at the very same table, sipping on her cocktail and reading something on her phone. Her calm and collected demeanor made his blood boil. He clenched his fists tightly before approaching the woman who had just taken the love of his life away from him. He didn't even have time to process the realizations he had made about Grace, but it was all of a sudden inherent to him that he wanted to settle down with her. He wanted to marry her, take her on a lavish honeymoon wherever she wanted to go, buy a house with her, start a family with her, grow old with her - he wanted it all. He could only have it if he had Grace.

"Alyssa," He seethed once he had reached the table. "What the hell did you do? What did you say?"

She looked up at him with her big brown eyes, feigning innocence. "I just want the best for my baby sister. I want her to be with a man who loves her! I was explaining to her that if you, dear Michael, are in love with her, you'll endure my wrath. I seem to have hit a nerve," She cackled, taking another sip of her cocktail.

"Listen to me," He said through gritted teeth. "Love is a serious thing. You can't just throw it around in a conversation, at least I can't. I love Grace. I love her with everything that I have! But I wanted it to be special when I told her. Forgive me for wanting romance. We've only been dating a year, you know. I've had to travel and work through a lot of that time, and I just wanted to be sure. I didn't want her to get hurt! I only have the best fucking intentions and you went and ruined everything! It wasn't your place, and you know that. You're the worst thing for her, honestly. You just want to make her life miserable because your life is a complete shit show. But that's your fault for being a gold digger and marrying a man who just wants you as a trophy and completely disregarding your self-worth. It's not Grace's. You have no right to take it out on her. You don't deserve a sister like her. Stay the fuck away from her."

Alyssa was speechless. Michael didn't even have time to feel triumphant that he had finally given her a reality check. He stood up and hurried out of the restaurant. He ran to the valet and handed him a $20 dollar bill. "Will you get me my car as fast as possible, please?"

The valet nodded, quickly finding the keys that matched the ticket and scurried off. Michael ran his hands through his dark orange locks, pulling on his hair a bit as his thoughts ran through his mind. He had no idea what was going to happen when he went to the apartment. He would just have to wait and find out, and hope for the best.

___

Grace lay in her bed, simply thinking about everything that had happened. The day's events played in her mind over and over again like a horror movie on a loop. She couldn't get it to stop, as much as she wanted it to. She didn't know what to do with herself. She felt an overwhelming loneliness pulling her down as if she was drowning in the undertow of the ocean. It took her down farther and farther into an abyss of nothingness; an abyss of wasted time, hurt feelings, and worthless sacrifices.

Just as she was debating what to do to get her mind off of everything, she heard the door click open and she sat straight up. She hadn't expected Michael to come back so soon. She hesitantly ventured into the hallway, her breath hitching in her throat when she saw him.

"Grace," He breathed. He wanted nothing more than to engulf her in a hug and promise her he'd never be so stupid again, but he knew it wouldn't be right. They had to work it out together.

"Michael, what are you doing here?" Her voice was cold. The words stung from the strong tone she used.

"I... I-"

"You have no right to be here," She cut him off. "Please leave."

Michael didn't want to believe that he'd heard right. He took a step towards her and she quickly reacted, taking a step further away from him. He hurt in a way that he had never hurt before. He felt wounded. He was that item in the lost and found that no one ever claims that eventually gets thrown out.

"Is that what you want?" He asked, after a pause.

Grace felt her nostrils flare in protest. It wasn't what she wanted. Yes, he had hurt her but he was also the only one who could make it better. She was utterly conflicted. He didn't love her, but he came back to her. What was she supposed to do? She hadn't the slightest idea, so she did what she felt was right.

"I'll let you take your things, but I want you to be gone when I come back in an hour."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for being so patient with me guys!