Sequel: Love is a Laserquest

A Strange Arrangement

I Can't Go For That

“Okay, do you have your press passes?” Sara questioned Eric and I like a worried mother sending her children off to their first day of school. We displayed them to her for verification.

“Good, good. Niki and I are going to watch the short films and interview some of the directors. Did you give him the camera?” Sara asked turning to Niki.

Eric held it up to show her she had.

“Great. You guys go take some pictures and get quotes. If you take pictures of someone don't forget-”

“Sara, this isn't my first time at an event. I know what to do and if Alexandria has any questions I'll help her out, okay? Calm down and just have fun.” Eric told Sara putting his hand on her shoulder.

“Alright. You just know how Ellen can be sometimes. I just want this piece to be perfect.” Sara said rubbing the side of her face.

“It will be. Don't worry. Go watch your movies, guys.” Eric said putting both hands on Sara and Niki's backs and pushing them in the direction of a crowded tent.

Once they had walked about 50 feet away, Eric turned around to face me.

“You ready?” he asked smiling.

“Yep,” I replied nodding.

-x-

“I guess you're just quite the dream boat aren't you?” I teased Eric as we sat down on a couch in the VIP room of an unknown movie's after party.

“What can I say? The ladies can't resist me.” he joked.

We were still having a laugh at a slightly tipsy girl who had decided to plant one on Eric as we attempted to interview her.

“You should've gotten her number. She could've been 'the one'.”

“Yeah, that's the story I want to tell my future kids. 'Well you see your mom had a lot of drunk confidence that night and-',” he couldn't finish his sentence before we both began laughing.

I had grown to like Eric a lot in the hours we spent together that night. He was really quite charming and charismatic. No doubt an enormous flirt but I was becoming good at deflecting his advances. It wasn't hard with Kris ever present in my mind.

“Tonight was fun. Probably the best first day of work ever,” I said as I sipped my margarita.

“Agreed. I got to spend my night having a great time with a beautiful woman. Doesn't get better than that.” Eric said drinking his water. He was apparently not much of a drinker.

“Why do you have to ruin the moment?”

“Oh, you mean the drunk girl? Yeah, you two really hit it off, didn't you?” I laughed brushing him off once again.

“No, I mean you.” he said with a slight laugh staring me in the eye.

“Oh fuck.”

I laughed hard. “You're so funny, Eric. Seriously. Tonight was fun. God, I'm tired. How about you?”

“Not really.” he replied and I could feel his eyes still firmly planted on me.

Eric's cell phone suddenly beeped diffusing the tension that was building.

“Sara texted me. She says she's taking Niki home and she wants me to take you home. Also be at the office by 9 with the photos and quotes to help her put the piece together,” Eric finished as he put his phone away. “I guess that means we should call it a night.”

“Yeah, that's probably for the best or else I'm going to look like a member of the undead tomorrow morning.”

-x-

“This is it up here,” I said pointing to the building that was my new residence.

“Wow, you didn't mention you lived in the richest apartment building in Philadelphia.” he said staring up.

“Is it really?”
“If it's not THE richest, it's definitely high on the list then.”
“Seriously? I had no idea.”

“Way to go, Kris,” I smiled to myself.

He pulled up to the front door of the building and the valet as was becoming the usual rushed over. Eric unbuckled his seat belt and stepped out.

“No, you don't have to do that. I can go up by myself.” I said in an even tone as I became increasingly nervous at the thought of Eric discovering who my roommate actually was.

“A gentleman never lets a lady walk herself to her own front door.” he said sweetly as he came around, put his hand on my back, and ushered me inside.

“God, I hope he doesn't ask to come in. I mean I'll just say 'no' if he asks. What if I open the door and Kris is right there? What if we're standing outside and Kris opens the door? Ah, fuck. Please be asleep, Kris, please be asleep.”

My heart rate quickened as the numbers on the elevator screen increased higher slowly. Finally the doors opened and we stepped out. I felt like an inmate walking to my death as we got closer to the door.

“So, this is it. Thanks for everything tonight. It was really fun.” I said with a slight grin and a pat of his arm.

“You're welcome,” he said grabbing my arm and pulling me towards him. He kissed me on the cheek. As he pulled back I saw him pull something out of his pocket. He began writing on a napkin. “See ya at the office.” he said as he grabbed my hand and put the napkin in my palm. He gave a little wave and walked away. I looked down and saw his phone number scribbled.

“Whatever.” I thought as I opened the door expecting to see Versteeg waiting for me on the couch. The living room, however, was empty and the house was silent.

“Hello?” I called out as I set my bag and Eric's phone number down on the counter. No answer.

“Kris?” I yelled as I peeked into his room. Empty.

“Okay then.”

I decided not to let my mind wander about his whereabouts. We were merely roommates. He had a right to go wherever he chose until whatever time.

I went to take a shower and get ready for bed.

Twenty minutes later as I stood in front of the mirror brushing my teeth I heard the front door close. I quickly rinsed and went into the living room to greet the person I had been waiting all day to see.

“Hey! You're still up! How'd your first day go?” Kris asked as I stepped into the room.

“Good. Really easy. Just a basic assignment. Getting quotes and pictures. Nothing too stressful. How did your night go?” I asked as I hugged him. The obvious scents of a bar were all over him but there was also something else.

“Is that perfume...?”

“It was fun. Went out with some of the guys. Had a good time. Nothing exciting really.” he replied as he went into the kitchen to grab a bottle of water from the refrigerator. He walked back over and I saw his eyebrow go up as he spotted something on the counter. He picked it up and my heart sank.

“Stupid phone number.”

“Who's Eric, Lexi?” he asked me grinning.

“No, no. It's not what you think. He's just a co-worker. I worked with him tonight, he gave me a ride home. That's it.” I spat out defensively.

“You let him take you home? Wow, you don't waste any time do you, Lex?” Kris teased me.
“Shut up! It's not like that.”
“You're totally blushing. Little Alexandria's in love!”

“Yes, but not with Eric you idiot!”

“Whatever.” I said giving up on the situation. I took my bag and headed towards my room.

“Aw, come on! Don't be like that!” he pleaded with me.
“Good night.” I said with a wave over my shoulder.

“Great now the guy I'm actually in love with thinks that I like someone else. This is ridiculous.” I thought as I crawled into bed and set my alarm.

“And why does he smell like perfume?!” I screamed to myself one last time before closing my eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tough, long chapter. I did my best to get this one done as quickly as possible but work was insane this week. I was only scheduled for one day off (and that was yesterday). I need more sleep in my life.
Anyway, I'll try to get the next one up in a few days. As always, thanks for reading. I appreciate every reader, subscriber, friend, and comment so much. :)
-C