Sequel: Love is a Laserquest

A Strange Arrangement

Falling Slowly

I opened the door to the apartment and walked in with Sara trailing behind me.

“Lexi? Is that you?” Kris called from his bedroom.

“Yeah, it's me. Can you come here a sec?” I asked him.

He entered the room too preoccupied by the buttoning of his white striped dress shirt to look up at us. I loved the way he dressed on game day. His designer suits made him look so handsome and sophisticated. It didn't hurt that they also perfectly accentuated the muscles on his toned body and filled my mind with shameful thoughts. The scent of his cologne intoxicated me in an instant. His presence generally did that to me either way though.

“What's up?” he asked.

“Kris, this is Sara Smith, my co-worker. Sara, this is Kris Versteeg, my best friend and roommate.” I introduced the two of them. Kris looked up and appeared caught off guard by her being there. He quickly recovered, gave her a grin, and extended his hand for a shake. The two said their hellos and then retreated back into their previously silent states waiting for further commentary from me.

“Sara's the reason I asked for an extra ticket. She's going to be my plus one tonight.” I informed him.

“Oh, very cool. I'm glad you found a friend, Lex. Now go find more and I'll be able to have my own cheering section soon.” he joked.

“Hey! I've been a one woman cheering section for you for almost 15 years now. Let's give credit where credit is due.” I said immediately feeling overly needy for his approval.

“That's true. I don't know what I'd do without you.” he said putting his hand on my back and giving me a peck on the cheek.

“Needy...but worth it.”

I saw Sara raise her eyebrows and try to suppress the smile that was beginning to form on her face.

“So, what are you guys up to?” Kris asked

“Nothing really. At this point we're just killing time until the game. I just wanted to come home and wish you luck in person though.” I told him honestly avoiding eye contact.

He playfully punched me in the arm and smiled wide.

“Aw, I love you kid. That means a lot.” he said wrapping his arms around me in a tight hug. “I wish I could stay but I've got to get going. Coach wants us there early.”

“Coach...” I scoffed silently to myself. I still wasn't over that term not referring to Coach Quenneville when he used it.

“But hey, let's grab some dinner after the game, okay? You can come too, Sara.” he told her.

“Thanks,” Sara's eyes shifted to me looking for a sign as to what her response should be. I clandestinely shook my head so Kris wouldn't see. “But I've got to get to the office kind of early tomorrow. Maybe some other time.”

“Ah, okay then. Hey,” he began turning to me, “If we win you're buying me dinner. Deal?”

“Sounds like a plan.” I agreed.

-x-

“These seats are insane!” Sara exclaimed excitedly as we watched the players skate around anticipating puck drop.

“I know. Most of the time the players' guests like to sit in one of the VIP suites but I always preferred sitting board side. I want to see the goals, and the fights, and the shit talking up close, you know?” I laughed.

A startling banging sound against the glass made me jerk my head from Sara's direction. I turned to see Kris' smiling face skating away from us towards the bench which in turn made me smile widely. Sara elbowed me knowingly which caused me to roll my eyes in amusement.

Soon it was time for the national anthems to be sung and then the game commenced. I got those usual spasms of hopeful excitement every time the puck was within five feet of the opposing team's net and held my breath whenever it entered the Flyers' defensive zone. I followed Kris' every move on the ice and admired him as he tried to catch his breath on the bench.

“God, he's so amazing.”

My heart began to ache as that all too familiar feeling of unrequited love sunk in once again.

“I'm holding onto what I can never have.”

I did my best to shake these feelings and just enjoy the game like Sara was doing. She jumped up and cheered at every breakaway they got and even pounded on the boards like an crazed caged ape when Pronger picked a fight with Habs captain, Brian Gionta.

Everything was fast and thrilling and though I had my brief moment of despair, I was truly having a great time watching the team feeding off the energy from the crowd. Then, with the score at 2-1 in favor of the Flyers with under three minutes until intermission, everything slowed down. Yannick Weber skated away as Versteeg fell to the ice after a blind side hit from him. The fans' cheers and smiles turned into boos and concerned expressions. Kris' lack of movement caused me to unconsciously clutch Sara's hand. Flyers' trainers were on the ice in seconds and soon after I could see Kris speaking.

“He's awake. That's good.” I thought trying to tell myself anything that sounded remotely reassuring.

After a few minutes they were helping him up and ushering him towards the locker room. The crowd erupted in clapping and encouraging cheering. Between my concern for Versteeg's well being and the overwhelmingly positive reaction as he was taken off the ice, I began to feel tears welling up in my eyes.

“Not now. I have to be strong. I have to get to him.” I looked around feeling helpless.

“He'll be okay,” Sara told me sensing my thoughts. “I'm sure he'll back during the second period.”

After a hit like that, Sara and I both knew she was lying. The remaining time in the first period flew by undetected until the buzzer rang alerting me. Someone tapped me on my shoulder seconds after intermission began.

“Ms. King?” an intimidating looking security guard asked me. I nodded my head yes. “Come with me, please.”

Without a word I got up and followed him dragging Sara behind me. He carelessly pushed through the sea of fans making their way to get refreshments and food. A few angry fans later he finally led us through a restricted access door which he opened with his pass key. We made our way down the stairs that had been revealed to us and he opened another door at the bottom. I could tell we were near the Flyers' locker room with the amount of people around, equipment being arranged, and the smell of sweaty men hitting me in an instant.

“Over here.” the burly man directed us towards a door around the corner from where we had arrived. “She stays, you go.” he instructed us very caveman-like. I opened my mouth to protest but Sara touched my arm and gave me a reassuring glance.

As he opened the door I held my breath unprepared for what was waiting for me on the other side.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am SO sorry this took forever to get up. I had the first half written for about a week but I worked 8 days straight so I was too busy trying to find time to sleep let alone write. I originally intended for it to go in another direction but this just started flowing out so I went with it.
Hope you like it.
-C