Picking Up the Pieces

Spilling Secrets

*A few weeks later*

Marc knocked on my bedroom door, and I told him to come in as I placed a bookmark in the book I was reading.

“Hey. What book are you reading?” he asked, sitting down on the edge of my bed. I held it up.

“Ivanhoe?” Marc asked, and I nodded.

“I love this book!” I cried happily. Marc smiled, which made me smile.

“So…training camp starts tomorrow…” he sighed. I put the book down, and stared at him with wide eyes. Something in my chest lurched. It would be the first time in weeks that Marc wouldn’t be home almost all the time with me. I had become so used to him being there that I had almost forgotten about his training camp.

“Oh…” was all I managed to say.

“It’ll be a lot of fun. Just think…me on your favorite team!” Marc beamed. I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah, yeah I know. It’ll be cool, but I’m not wearing a Fleury jersey,” I warned.

“Aw come on! You always wear that beat up old Brodeur jersey. I’m the next big Jersey goal tender…don’t you wanna root for me?” Marc pouted. I stuck my tongue out at him, and he stood up. He vanished from my room, but reappeared seconds later with his hands behind his back.

“Marc what are you hiding?” I asked. He smirked and pulled a thin box out from behind his back.

“Oh God, what is that?” I asked as he put the box on my bed. He simply smirked even more broadly at me and I opened the box. Inside was a brand new Marc-Andre Fleury Devils jersey. I scowled at him.

“So you bought me a jersey even though I had one already?” I asked.

“I knew you wouldn’t say no to wearing it if you knew I already bought it,” Marc smiled, and I punched his arm playfully before holding it up to my chest.

“It’s the right size!” I beamed.

^^^^^^

Something in my gut purred happily as she held the jersey up to make sure it would fit. I mentally slapped myself, knowing that she wasn’t mine, and probably never would be. Then again, she is done with Sidney…if you could get her to fall for you, you’d be set. I felt horrible about the way I felt for Alice. I was afraid I would take advantage of her while she was upset, but the sight of her in my jersey (well, practically in it anyway) was almost too much. I licked my lips nervously, and she raised her eyebrows.

“What’s wrong Marc?” she asked quietly.

“Nothing…nothing,” I muttered, turning away. She placed the jersey on her bed and stood up, placing a hand on my forearm comfortingly.

“You look upset,” she said quietly, causing me to take a step away from her.

“I’m not upset,” I managed to say before forcing myself to walk out of her room.

A few hours later she was the one knocking on my door. I didn’t say anything, but continued to lounge on my bed and stare irritably at the ceiling. I was so tired of my feelings battling with my conscience. Alice sat next to me and bit her bottom lip.

“Marc, I know something’s been bothering you for a while now…you’ve been taking care of me, letting me recover…now I want to help you,” she said quietly, and anger blossomed in my chest.

“There’s nothing you can help me with Alice. Don’t worry about it,” I said, the anger filling my voice on accident. Alice bit her lip once more and placed a hand on my shoulder.

“Marc, I know you…we’ve been living together for almost a year now. Just tell me,” she whispered, and I groaned quietly before rolling over and burying my face in my pillow.

“I can’t tell you because it would make me the biggest douche ever,” I muttered.

“Marc, nothing is going to make me think you’re a douche. I mean, look at everything you’ve done for me,” she said, leaning over so that I could hear her. Her hair brushed against my ear and I resisted the urge to run my fingers through it. I pressed my lips together so that my secret wouldn’t come spilling out, and she laid down beside me. I had to bite the inside of my lip so hard that it bled when she wrapped an arm around me and started running her hand up and down my back. As soon as her fingers found the back of my hair, I knew I was doomed.

“Alice please stop touching me!” I hissed. She recoiled instantly.

“I’m sorry…I was just trying to help,” she said, rather upset.

“No…I’m not mad…I like it…too much,” I muttered, and she froze.

“Did you just say…” she started.

“That I like you touching me too much? Yes. I did just say that. That’s the secret I’ve been hiding for a very, very long time Alice. It’s not just the touching…it’s everything about you. I was so jealous of Sidney, but when I saw how happy you two were, I let it go so that you could be happy. Now that he’s not…just…now that he’s gone, everything is coming back twice as strong. Alice, I don’t want to take advantage of you. I don’t want to be the rebound guy. I just…I can’t hide this any longer,” I gushed. Everything that I had wanted to say for so long just came spilling out of my mouth faster than I could stop it. By the time I finished, Alice was just staring at me with wide eyes. Her face was blank for a moment, and then she smiled softly.

“Marc…I appreciate you telling me the truth. You’ve helped me get over the biggest heartbreak of my life, and I really don’t think you did it just because you like me. You’re a good guy…you’re sweet, caring, handsome…” she started.

“But I’m not your type?” I asked quietly.

“Actually…it’s quite the opposite…but like you said, you don’t want to be the rebound guy. Marc, when I’m completely over Sidney, maybe then we can try something, but until then, I really just need you to be my friend,” Alice explained. I felt a bubble of hope form in my chest, and I rolled over so that she could see my smile.

“Alice, I’ll be whatever you need me to be,” I said firmly before sitting up and hugging her tightly. A happy smile flickered across my face, but I knew that it would be a lot longer before anything would develop between us.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is just the beginning. If you read Bringing the Devil Out of Me you might not have picked up on Marc liking Alice, just like Alice and Sid failed to realize. So...I hope you enjoy this story as much as I am :)