Status: Writing :D

How He Saved a Life

Lost in Stereo

Jack

“GO!” The three others shouted at me as they pushed me out of the van.
They were all being wimps and wouldn’t go into a little supermarket to buy a couple dozen beers. It wasn’t like anyone would recognise us in this deadbeat town. I was the only one man enough to believe that. What was so scary about a bloody shop?
“I’m going, I’m going – just shut the fuck up ok?” I sighed as I walked towards the gradually opening doors. A gust of ice cold wind brushed my hair back as I entered the small town shop. Luckily the beer was right at the front of the store, so all I had to do was grab it and walk over to the checkout.
Now the difficult part was trying to find a person that I knew wouldn’t know who I was, that would be the safest thing to do. All I could see were old fogies and a few slappers, neither of which I wanted the talk to. The only person that caught my eye was an innocent girl working in the far corner of the shop. It was a walk to get there but she seemed to be the only half decent one there.
She looked too perfect to be a fan.

Ellie

“She works for the weekend, mixtape of her favourite bands…”
Before Alex could sing the next few lyrics of “Lost in Stereo”, I noticed that someone was approaching me. Time to pause and time to serve… Only a couple of hours left to go though. Three to be exact…
Three hours before I left this place and met my heroes.
While I was locked in my imagination, the customer had slammed his alcohol onto the conveyer and was waiting impatiently for me to serve him. I didn’t look at him as I rang the alarm for a supervisor; I was 16 so I wasn’t old enough to serve alcohol.
“Sorry, but I’m not old enough to serve you that. Can you just wait a moment?” Apologetically I informed him as I lifted my head to see who I was actually serving.
I swear I almost fainted. My heart began racing at 100 miles an hour.
His eyes widened as mine did, then after a moment I swear I saw his mouth mime the words “Oh shit.” Quickly he pulled his hood over his face as the supervisor approached us. She had no idea who he was as she gave me the thumbs up to serve him.
I wanted to speak to him, I really did. My voice wouldn’t let me though. Just as I was about to try and speak again, it was him that spoke to me.
“I guess you know who I am,” He laughed to himself as he placed the first set of beers into the bag, “And I was here thinking that you’d be the only one that hadn’t.” Happily he winked at me as he waiting for the second carton of beers to meet his open arms.
Then he noticed something.

Jack

As she looked back to smile back at me, I saw a cut under her left eye. Being a curious kind of person (in other words pervert), I diverted my eyes down to the remainder of her body. By the time my eyes had reached her arm she’d covered them with her hands.
“What are you hiding?” I questioned her as she looked down at the floor, seemingly in shame. Slowly she moved her hands away from her arms without a word.
Cuts were hung like Christmas decorations down her pale brown arms.
“What the fuck is this?” I suddenly turned serious as I realised what was happening. She wasn’t a diehard fan who just wanted to fuck all of us; she was someone that genuinely needed help. When she didn’t respond, I asked her again. Still no reply.
Instead of paying for the beers when she put her hand out for money, I grabbed her and pulled her out of the shop. The other cashers stared as I did so but I couldn’t care less at that moment in time.
I needed her to meet the guys. She needed to be fixed.

Ellie

My hand burnt in pain as Jack had grabbed it so hard that he’d stopped the blood coming to it. I think my heart almost stopped in shock as he dragged me away from my safe heaven.
Before I could confront him and ask him to return me to my post, he pulled me into his body and held me under his left armpit. It was warm there, I felt safe.
Something I hadn’t felt in a long time.

Jack

Having the girl under my shoulder made me feel like a hero. It warmed my heart and reminded me of why I was in this business. This was why I was making music. Everyone thinks I am the dim member that only cares about getting laid and partying all night…. But I am just as caring as the other three members of the band.
It was me that started it. It was me that wanted to help these people first. The others just had identical thoughts to me…
“Alex! Zack! Rian!” I shouted as I flung the van door open. A calming scent of BO and sweat suddenly filled my nostrils, a lovely scent for the little kid I was holding under my wing.
“What? Did you get the boose?” Alex stumbled to the door as he tripped over a loose wire somewhere in the van, “Mark said we needed to bring some for the party to-“ He stopped in shock as his eyes met those of the broken girl that was standing alongside me.
“Oh my god. What did you do this time?”

Ellie

Alex was just staring at me. I didn’t know what to say.
What I wanted to do was break free from Jack’s grasp and run into Alex’s arms. I wanted to tell him that he was the only one that had kept me sane for the past few months where my life had fell apart. All I wanted to do was admit to him that his smile had saved my life.
But I couldn’t.
That would mean telling them what happened.
That would mean explaining what they did to me - what she let them do.