Someone To Save Me

Miss You.

I woke up to the sun shining through the window, and the sound of soft snoring. Sid and I must have fallen asleep talking last night - my head on his shoulder, his uncomfortably resting against the back of the couch, one of his arms wrapped around my shoulders, my legs draped over his - suddenly I’m very glad that I had shaved recently - and his one hand resting lightly on my thigh. I was immensely comfortable and didn’t want to move, I could stay like this forever if I got to breathe in his scent.

“You know if you don’t move I’m going to have to have another back rub” he whispered making me giggle.

“Well you can’t have more then one in a 24 hour period. My skills get abused if I don’t put a disclaimer on it” I said lifting my head from his shoulder.

“You should have told me this before. I would have milked it a bit more last night” he said with a smirk.

“Hey at least you got a back rub, no one rubs my back, ever” I said pouting for effect.

“Don’t look at me” he said. “I’m not falling for the pout . . .”

“I bet Kaner would rub my back. In fact I bet he’d fly out here just to do that. He seems pretty egar to please. Maybe this is why you don‘t have a girlfriend, no back rubs . . .”

“Ok, laying it on thick aren’t you?”

“I’m just saying I’d be willing to put up with a hectic schedule for an occasional back rub” I said swinging my legs off of his, causing his hand to fall into his lap. He blushed slightly obviously only then really realizing where it had been.

“I can always pay to have someone rub a girls back.”

“That’s a cop out, the main reason a girl asks her boyfriend to rub her shoulders is because she wants to feel his hands on her, Sid. We don’t want some stranger rubbing us down.”

“Good to know.”

“Do guys seriously not know this?”

“No, we don’t.”

“Well I’m glad I could enlighten you.”

“Thanks I appreciate it.”

“I should go . . .” I sighed.

“Without breakfast?”

“Well yea . . . I don’t want to over stay my welcome at the cute NHL stars home.”

“So I’m cute huh?”

“Don’t let it go to your head there bud.”

“Alright, as long as you stay for breakfast.”

“Let me guess . . Eggs? You already made one of the two things you can cook I wouldn’t want you to have to eat the same thing again later.”

“That’s what eating out is for. . .” I raised my eyebrow at him. “Alright so Mario’s wife makes food that I can just heat up and brings it to me once a week.”

“Oh my gosh! That’s hilarious” I laughed. “Really?”

“Yea, really.”

“Wow” I said laughing so hard that tears filled my eyes.

“I don’t get why this is so funny.”

“Does she do your laundry too?”

“No, but she showed me how . . . Recently.”

“Sid, you really do need a girl.”

“Tell me about it. Someone to rub my shoulders.”

“If that’s all you want it’s called a masseuse.”

“Cook?”

“You already have one right?” I winked. “To clean you can always get a maid. Laundry, you can send it out to be cleaned.”

“Well then I guess I don’t need a girlfriend.”

“If those are the only reasons to have someone Sid then you need a psychiatrist.”

“You know what, we only got what I wanted in a girl last night. What about you?”

“I don’t really go for girls Sid. I know it’s like every guys wet dream but . . .”

“Ha ha.”

“What I thought it was kind of funny.”

“Seriously Katie . . . I can’t be the only one telling all their dark secrets.”

“Fine. You want to know what I want in a guy?”

“Yes.”

“I want someone who I can be myself around, who I feel comfortable with. Someone who makes me feel safe, and loved unconditionally. Someone who doesn’t get jealous that I am around athletes all the time, because it’s my job. I want what every girl wants, a guy who would do anything for them no questions asked, even though he knows that I would never ask him to give up something he loves.”

“That’s pretty lofty. How do you expect someone to live up to that?”

“It’s not as hard as it seems. They can do little things that indicate they’re the type of person I’m looking for. They may not know that they make me feel like that but if it’s real, well, you know it.”

“Deep.”

“You’re such a boy” I scoffed.

“What! All these years . . .”

“Shut up” I said laughing.

“I’m sorry did you just snort?”

“Yea” I said still laughing. “And now. I have. The.”

“Hiccups” he smile.

“Yep and they only make me laugh more.”

“SID!” we heard from the hall.

“Shit” I said hiccupping again before another fit of laughter hit me.

“It’s just the guys I made to mistake of telling them where the spare key was” he said taking his feet off of the ottoman. “In here guys!”

“Hey, we just . . . Well hello” Max said spotting me.

“Hi” I waved getting a grip on my hiccupping.

“Sorry Sid, we didn’t mean to interrupt anything” he said with a smirk.

“You didn’t we were just about to have some breakfast.”

“At 12?” Kris Letang asked

“So lunch then” I suggested.

“Guess so” Max said still looking at me. “You’re the girl from the game and the pool hall.”

“Good job you put it together!” I said sarcastically clapping my hands. “And whatever you’re thinking happened last night, because I know you’re thinking that I hooked up with him, didn’t happen. Just to clarify that before you assume.”

“I like her” Kris said sitting on the other side of me. “She makes fun of Max and you Sid.”

“Oh hair-boy” I said simply smiling at him. “You should seriously do shampoo commercials. Think about it for a minute. Girls love that hair and the whole shy thing you’ve got going on and they would buy whatever you use for their boyfriends. You could get some pretty kick ass endorsements.” They all were looking at me with confused looks. “I majored in Publicity and Sports Management.”

“That’s right” Sid said remembering that I told him last night.

“Wait I thought you were a photographer, or a reporter” Max said.

“I am. I just happen to be awesome at many things.”

“Tanger’s too shy to do that kind of thing anyway.”

“Well not everyone can do a cheesy car commercial there ‘superstar’” I said looking at him pointedly. “Letang why are you so shy I mean really. . . From what I saw in the locker room last night you have a pretty fine bod . . .”

“Whoa, checking out Tanger, Katie” Sid said.

“Well, you can’t blame a girl for looking. Besides it’s not like all three of you aren’t checking out my legs right now or anything” I said calling them all out, instantly they all looked away from me.

“I was just . . .” Kris started to say.

“Oh, Letang, you are just so cute. Are you seeing anyone, because you and Janie would be super cute together.”

“Super cute” he muttered with a sort of grimace.

“Why does everyone want to boy next door, huh? What about me Katie?” Max asked.

“Most girls want the bring home to mom type - at least in public.”

“At least in public?” Sid asked turning his head towards me slightly.

“We all have a thing for a bad boy, but mostly just in the bedroom” I shrugged not knowing how else to say it. “But Max you’re in luck because Megs happens to love the whole smart ass bad boy thing.”

“What about me huh?” Sid half-whispered.

“None of my friends are good enough for you Mr. Crosby. Besides from what you told me last night you’re too busy for a relationship” I smiled. “Now are you going to feed me because if not I’m just going to head back to my hotel.”

“What are you cooking woman?” Max asked looking at me.

“Firstly, pumpkin, I’m not cooking I’m on vacation for the whole week until I have to be Towes shadow. And Secondly call me ‘woman’ again and I will castrate you” I said in a perky manner making Kris and Sid laugh.

“I’ll see what I have in the fridge” Sid said walking to the kitchen.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I seriously can’t believe that the week is over already! When they say time flies when you’re having fun, it’s true. Sid and I hung out the entire week along with our friends, I was right about Janie and Kris they are super cute together, and Megs, well, lets just say that I made her life by introducing her to Maxime Talbot. The pairing that I wasn’t expecting however was Al and Alex Goligoski. Alex and Alex. It’s cute but he just doesn’t seem her type.

They’re all at the game sitting together while I’m off in the press box doing my job. And it’s difficult to switch from all Penguins all week to Blackhawks that quick. I found myself taking pictures of the guys I had gotten to know all week instead of who I was supposed to, in the end I had to keep reminding myself that I was here for work not to admire my favorite team growing up, but I did sneak in a few shots for my personal use.

The Penguins ended up winning the game and I unfortunately had to go to the visitor locker room and listen in on the interviews that Towes was giving and take pictures of course. After the interviews were done and the team had been given the warning that the bus would be leaving in 15minutes I decided to go say goodbye to all my new - and old - friends.

“Katherine Scarlett O’Callaghan” Megs said in her best Irish accent before pulling me into a tight hug. “I can’t believe that you’re leaving already.”

“I know it sucks.”

“Katie.”

“Janie” I replied moving from Megs to her. “You keep Tanger on his toes ok?”

“No problem. I wish you weren’t leaving.”

“Me too, Janie.”

“Oh my gosh! Why do I get all sad everytime you leave?” Al said pulling me into her.

“Believe me I will be a wreck on that plane to Ottawa.”

“Maybe Kaner will see you and it will be a turn off.”

“Either that or he’ll try to comfort me” I shuddered. Stepping towards the guys I tried to stop the tears from saying bye to my bests. “If you guys are ever . . . I mean next time you’re in Chicago you all better see me! I wouldn’t want to have to murder some Penguins. They are my favorite animal” I said with a laugh.

“We’re going to miss you Katie” Max said pulling me into a bone crushing hug.

“Oh Max. Who knew you were such a softie? I’ll miss you too.”

“Thanks for having me meet Janie” Kris said quietly giving me a hug.

“Be good to her Kris, and think about those shampoo endorsements that I told you about” I said with a wink. After going around and hugging all the guys that I had grown close to I turned to the last one. “Sid” I said softly feeling like I was going to cry when he wrapped his arms around me. “I think I’ll miss you the most.”

“You have no idea Katie.”

“If you ever need someone to talk to, about non-hockey stuff, you know who to call. Hell, you better call me damn it” I gave him a kiss on the cheek before stepping out of his arms. “I have to go before the Hawks leave me behind. I love you all and just because I’m in Chicago doesn’t mean you can forget about me.”

“How could we forget you?” Goligoski said wrapping his arms around Al.

“I honestly don’t know” I laughed. “Bye guys” I said feeling my eyes water slightly as I turned to head back to the visiting locker room.

“Ms. O’Callaghan we’ve been wondering where you ran off too, we’re all ready to leave” one of the coaches said when I cam into view.

“Sorry I had to say bye to my friends” I said as he took my suitcase.

“I hope it’s alright if you’re on the same bus as the team.”

“Yea that’s fine I have to be Towes shadow anyway” I said stepping onto the bus. I sat in one of the only open seats and settled in for the short ride to the airport.

“Hi, I’m Sharp.”

“Another Patrick awesome” I said sarcastically. “Katie O’Callaghan.”

“Not a fan of Patrick’s why?” he asked leaning over the back of my seat.

“One word . . . Kaner.”

“Oh” he laughed. “Sorry.”

“It’s all good as long as he doesn’t decided to flirt excessively this week I won’t have to hurt him” I shrugged as my phone went off in my bag. I had 5 new text messages. I laughed reading them.

New Message- Staalsy: MISS YOU! Sorry I wasn’t there to say bye.

Reply- Staalsy: I miss you too! And it’s ok your parents are in town they trump me.

New Message- MAX!: Come back! NOW! Seriously screw those guys you know you love us more.

Reply- MAX!: I’m sorry Maxie I have to go, I have work to do. You’re right though I do love you guys more. Don’t forget that.

New Message- Janie: Al is crying, Megs is trying to convince Max not to chase you down and drag you back here, Kris and I miss you already and Sid. . . Looks lost.

Reply- Janie: Max is actually trying to convince me to stay. Tell Kris that I miss him too. I miss you Janie, I miss all of you so much already. . . Sid looks lost? What do you mean?

New Message- Al: I hate you . . . Why do you have to go?

Reply- Al: I love you too pumpkin, I wish that I didn’t have to go =(

New Message- Sid: Now I see what it’s like when we leave all the time. Sucks. Call when you get to Ottawa. I miss you Katie.

Reply- Sid: I know it sucks. I miss you too Sid. I’ll talk to you when we get there.

“Someone is popular.”

“I’m leaving a lot of friends here” I said with a sad smile.

New Message- Janie: He just looks like he doesn’t know what to do. Like he’s the only person who doesn’t have someone to comfort them.

Reply- Janie: Oh. Now I feel even worse.

“Why do you look like you don’t want to go?”

“I don’t . . .”

“Who’s the guy?”

“How exactly do you know there is a guy?”

“Lucky guess.”

New Message- Janie: Why do you feel worse?

Reply- Janie: Because he wouldn’t look ‘lost’ if I hadn’t left. Right now Janie I just really wish that I didn’t have this job.

“You guess right” I sighed.

“So who is he?”

“What is this 20 questions?”

“If you’re going to be following our captain around I think we should get to know you . . .”

“If you prank me at all Sharp I will hurt you” I said sternly.

“I won’t” he said holding his hands up. “Who is he?”

“I don’t want to tell you” I said getting off the bus and following the guys to the team plane.

New Message- Janie: You like him don’t you?

Reply- Janie: You can’t tell him. Please don’t tell him.

New Message- Janie: You do!

Reply- Janie: Don’t say anything ok?

New Message- Janie: Alright.

“He doesn’t know.”

“How the hell . . . Are you reading over my shoulder?”

“No I’m not but it’s obvious that he doesn’t now.”

“You know, I’m beginning to not like you” I said taking my seat on the plane.

New Message- Sid: I know you’re not there yet, but I got used to having you around this week. It’s weird that you’re not here right now.

Reply- Sid: I know what you mean. I’m already getting badgered by them. We just got to the airport so we probably have a few before we take off.

New Message- Sid: They’re already on you? Geesh just another reason you should have stayed. We all miss you Katie. Some more than others.

Reply- Sid: Yea, Janie told me Max was about to drag me off the bus.

New Message- Sid: He wasn’t the only one. I really didn’t want you to leave just yet.

Reply- Sid: What are you trying to say Sid?

New Message- Sid: I would have gone with him.

Reply- Sid: Now I wish you wouldn’t have said that . . .

New Message- Sid: Why?

Reply- Sid: I would have been off the bus as soon as I saw you coming.

New Message- Sid: Then why did you go?”

Reply- Sid: It’s my job. I can’t not go . . .

New Message- Sid: I really hate your job.

Reply- Sid: Me too. We’re about to take off. I’ll give you a call when we to the hotel, ok?

New Message- Sid: Alright. Miss you Katie.

“Miss you” I whispered powering down my phone.