Love In The Air

Chapter 2.

Sarah had quite a bit of good luck. Often times, she was flying to destinations in the midwest or had a layover there with her work schedule. The reason she was lucky was because she had friends scattered throughout the area and she tended to spend the night at their places when she could, as opposed to getting a hotel room for a night or more. Sarah found it was a lot nicer to be surrounded by friends when she could be, especially friends that she didn't see that often. So even if she had to drive a little ways away, she would do so.

In fact, with a friend she had living in St. Louis, Missouri and also one in Chicago, Illinois, she had a guest room that in all actuality really should have been called her own room in their homes. With her current schedule putting her in Milwaukee for the next couple nights, she had decided to rent a car from the airport to drive and visit her friend living in Chicago so they could catch up.

Sarah arrived at the apartment building her friend resided in, when it was well passed midnight so she quietly let herself in the door with the spare key she had been given when her friend had moved in with her significant other. Quickly scribbling a note to the couple, she informed them that she was there and if they happened to wake up before her, she would still make her famous pancakes for them in the morning. After she left the note on the island in the kitchen, Sarah quietly rolled her small travel suitcase down the hall and into her room. She changed into a pair of pajamas, checked her emails quickly, washed her face and was soon in bed. The minute her head hit her pillow, she was fast asleep.

When the morning came, Sarah found herself awake by the time 8:30 rolled around. She took a nice, relaxing shower, and then got dressed for the day. After making sure she cleaned up the room a bit, she made her way to the kitchen in her friends apartment and began pulling out the necessary ingredients for her special pecan pancakes with turkey bacon on the side.

As she began mixing the ingredients, she heard someone walking down the hall. When she looked up a few seconds later, she smiled seeing her friend, Kelsi, standing sleepily in the entrance.

“Good morning!” Sarah told her, laughing when all she received back was a grunt of acknowledgment.

Kelsi made her way to the where the island was and pulled out a barstool across from where Sarah was mixing the pancakes. She threw her head down on the countertop and groaned. Sarah laughed at her again. “Long night?”

“The longest,” Kelsi told her. She sat there for a few more minutes before she decided to stand up and make herself a cup of tea. “For someone who has a birthday today, he is the grumpiest person in the world.”

“Can you blame him?” Sarah asked her friend, looking straight at her.

“No, of course not. But I don't want this to put a damper on tonight. His parents and brother are coming in and we're supposed to go to dinner.”

“Well, you know if anyone can get him out of his funk, it's definitely Andree.”

“God, I hope so. Anyway, how are you? How was your time at home?”

“It was fantastic! Mom and I headed into San Jose and had dinner. I think we might have even seen Setoguchi, Clowe and your favorite, T-Mitchie when we were on Santana Row,” Sarah told her with a grin as she began pouring the pancakes on the griddle.

Kelsi glared at her. “You would do that to me. And hush, if I still want to get married next summer, we do not mention the Sharks in this household for the next couple weeks. Do you know how hard that's going to be to get around? Especially with Ben now wearing teal. Also, remind me to call him when I go home in a couple weeks, please? I'd love to see him and maybe I'll finally meet Mitchie...”

Sarah, far too amused at her friend, handed her a knife and some fruit from the fridge and instructed her to get to work on cutting some up for fruit salad. “Yeah, that would go over so well with your soon to be husband. And hey, it was your choice to date someone in the Western Conference. You had to be difficult.”

“I wouldn't change it for the world,” she said happily, as she began work on the fruit salad. Sarah made fake gagging sounds to mock her friend.

The two kept bustling about the kitchen, getting breakfast ready and catching up on everything that had been happening in the last month or so since their last visit. When Sarah was almost done with the last bits of bacon and Kelsi had finished setting the table for breakfast and getting everyone their preferred breakfast drinks, coffee for Sarah, orange juice for Jon and tea for herself, she decided it was time to wake the birthday boy up.

It took a few minutes but when Jon walked in, he was wearing a pair of black mesh workout shorts and a hunter green t-shirt. He smiled warmly at Sarah, giving her a small hug and took his seat at the table. She wished him a happy birthday and they dug into their food. Jon and Sarah traded questions back and forth, getting themselves caught up. Sarah was very mindful to avoid asking questions pertaining to hockey, knowing the pain he was feeling.

After breakfast was finished, Jon put his plate in the sink and thanked Sarah, then gave Kelsi a kiss on the cheek before he headed to their bedroom to get ready for the day. Though it was his birthday, he had a few things that had to be done. Sarah told Kelsi she would finish the dishes and then she shooed her to the bedroom so she could get ready because she really wanted to spend the day in the city, talking some more as well as shopping. She knew Kelsi would be in need of some work clothes because come late September, she would be starting a new job in the Windy City.

Jon had been the first to finish getting ready and came and sat on the couch with Sarah, the two of them settling on watching some of the country music videos that were being played on CMT. Jon turned to Sarah with a grin and said, “So funny story. This friend of mine said he met this woman who was a flight attendant yesterday. He said she barely gave him the time of day but she definitely knew who he was. He also noticed the Sharks bracelet she was wearing and he happened to mention her name was Sarah. You wouldn't happen to know who he would be talking about, would you?”

“Hmm. No, I don't think I do. I could ask around for ya?” Sarah told him with a wink. The two of them shared a laugh. “How did you know?”

“Sarah, there aren't too many people like you. When he started describing you, I knew. Especially when he said how tall you were,” Jon informed her, giving her one of his “looks”.

“Did you tell him you knew me?” she asked.

“Nope. I figured it would come out eventually,” he told her with a laugh.

“Good. By the way, how are the wedding plans coming?”

“They're...non-existent. Could you maybe talk to her and encourage her to give it some thought?” he asked his friend nervously.

Sarah sighed, “Of course. But you know how she is. It's going to be hard. Plus, she's gotta change everything she's ever wanted her wedding to be, just for this.”

Jon's smile dropped a little and he rubbed his hand across his face. “I know and I feel so bad about it. If there was any way we could make it work, you know I would. I don't want her upset on our wedding day, wishing for something or someone else.”

“Oh Jon! She never would! She won't mind changing things once she starts planning. She'd do anything she had to in order to marry you and you know that,” Sarah told him.

“I know. Just...get her thinking about it, please?” he asked, standing up to leave.

“Definitely. Maybe I can pull her into a dress shop or two today. I'm sure once I get her in a dress, she'll be ready to start planning.”

“I knew it wouldn't be a mistake having you with us this week!” he grinned slightly. “See ya!” Jon walked down the hall to his bedroom to say goodbye to Kelsi and then he headed out.

“Ready to go?” Kelsi asked, coming into the living room a few minutes later.

“Yes! Let me just grab my purse!”

Kelsi and Sarah had all of their belongings and made their way to the door. As Kelsi was locking the door, a voice behind them caught their attention, “Well if it isn't the little missus!” She turned around and saw none other than the ex-Blackhawk, Adam Burish.

“Bur!” she yelled, jumping to hug him. Sarah just stood there awkwardly, laughing on the inside knowing she was going to see him eventually. “You just missed Jon! He left about ten minutes ago.”

“That's a shame! I'll call him when I leave here and maybe we can meet up and have lunch or something. Maybe I can drag Kaner out of bed before 1 PM.” The mention of Patrick Kane caused Kelsi to wrinkle her nose and Sarah let out a scoff of irritation at the name of number 88. Burish laughed. “And who is this?” he asked, noticing Sarah.

Sarah looked up from her phone and she smiled at him. “I believe we've already met.”

This caused Kelsi to look at her friend confused and Adam looked slightly shocked. He soon recovered.

“I guess this is what you meant about seeing me around?” he inquired.

“I wasn't thinking it would be so soon, but yes,” she laughed. “Kels, I think it's time we go. We've got a long day ahead of us and you have to be back early for dinner.”

“Adam, you'll come back and visit tonight for dessert, right?” Kelsi pouted. She had always enjoyed Adam's company and was really disappointed when he had been traded.

“Of course! Especially if your friend will be here again tonight,” he grinned and kissed her on the cheek and said goodbye to both the girls.

“What was that about?” Kelsi asked Sarah as the two exited the apartment.

Sarah took a deep breath and then went over how they had met the day before, in great detail. Kelsi laughed at her friend.

“The best part of all of this? I don't get how it took so long for you two to meet! The last three years of Jon and I dating plus the times you would hang out with Ben this season when you were back home? Priceless!”

“Yeah, yeah, woman. Let's go. We're going to get you in some wedding dresses,” Sarah said. Kelsi immediately stopped laughing and groaned.

“I knew Jon was way too happy about you visiting...” she mumbled as they began navigating the city. “At least Vanessa isn't here. The two of you ganging up on me would be hell.”

“Ha,” Sarah let out. “Well, I'm here a day or two more and I hate to break it to you, but she and TJ are visiting tomorrow as well and sorry, but we're going to be picking out bridesmaids dresses as well as your wedding date. And venue.”

Kelsi quickly snapped her head in the direction of her friend. “I really, really hate you both. Do you know that?”

“No, you really don't. Besides, if we get these few things done it will really put Jon's mind at ease,” Sarah informed her, slinging her arm across the shoulder of her friend.

“You're right. Fine,” Kelsi said with a sigh.

Sarah grinned at her friend and they made their way into the first bridal shop of the day.