Love In The Air

Chapter 4.

Sarah's flight schedule picked up over the next couple months. Since her time in Chicago, she had flown all over. Miami, France, Greece, St Louis, New York, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Los Angeles and even smaller flights, just from city to city in some states. She didn't find herself having more than a night off until July, except for in early April when she was able to watch the San Jose Sharks beat Detroit in San Jose with Vanessa and Kelsi. She was even lucky enough to have caught a few of the Sharks games in Vancouver, though the outcome wasn't so thrilling.

She spent most of her spare time between her traveling sharing several messages with Adam each day since they had exchanged numbers back in Chicago. Sarah knew she was growing attached to the hockey player and that he was slowly finding a place in her heart, though she refused to admit that to any one of her friends, because they would never let her live it down and the news would likely make it's way back to the man in question.

One afternoon, Sarah was asked to pick up an extra flight to cover for an attendant who wouldn't be able to make the flight from Denver, Colorado to Las Vegas for unknown reasons and because Sarah had the next couple days free and had literally just walked off her last flight for the next few days, she was the one they contacted first. That was one of Sarah's main flaws, it was always hard for her to say no.

She had to make it to a gate a few minutes away in record time and it felt to her like everyone was taking their sweet time walking and it came across as if people were purposely bumping into her or walking in front of her. It just mounted her frustration because she was looking forward to having a few days off and some time to herself. What was she supposed to do in Las Vegas for a few days on her own?

When she finally reached the gate, she nodded to the man that was taking the tickets and he let her through, once she informed him of who she was and showed him her identification card. She let a sigh of relief out as she made her way down the tunnel and into the plane, bidding a quick hello to the pilot and stowing away her bag. When she was finished, she went to the other attendants and said hello, introducing herself and finding out their names were Erin and Anna. They had already made sure everyone was situated and the overhead bins were secure by the time Sarah made it, so they all took their seats while the airline safety video played and prepared for takeoff.

As soon as the pilot turned off the seat-belt light, the flight attendants got to work on attending to the passengers needs. As Sarah was pouring a little girl a cup of orange juice, Anna came up to her.

“Sarah, there's a man sitting in first class who says he'd like to talk to you,” she told her.

“Okay? I'll be up there in a second,” Sarah replied and then Anna told her the seat number of the man who was looking for her.

Sarah finished the orders in her row and began making her way back to the front of the plane to drop the cart off. When she was done, she walked to the seat she was requested at. As she neared it, she recognized someone and let out a tiny laugh, knowing who was looking for her. She had no idea how she had missed him.

“Yes, may I help you?” she asked coyly. Adam smirked up at her.

“Why yes ma'am, you may. How come you didn't inform me you would be heading to Vegas the same weekend I was?” he asked her.

“Last minute change of plans,” she smiled at him.

“Well, I think you should make it up to me.”

“Oh, and how would I do that?” she asked him, quirking an eyebrow.

“I am heading to Las Vegas for Laddy's wedding. Be my date.” He didn't pose it as a question, it was a statement. He knew that if he gave her the option to attend, she would say no. “Also, I will call Kelsi and inform her of this and you know she will pester you into going. You have no way out of this,” Adam told her, giving her another flash of his smirk.

“My, my. A little too cocky, aren't you?”

“Nope!” Adam popped the “p” in the word. “I'm just confident. Plus, I know you don't have anything else planned for Vegas.”

“Okay, I'll go with you,” Sarah conceded and Adam smiled.

The rest of the flight was spent doing her normal job and her and Adam sharing several small smiles with each other. When he left the plane, he made sure to leave Sarah with a kiss on her cheek and all the details for the wedding. He also told her that he would be picking her up.

Sarah knew that she would need to make a quick shopping trip as soon as she left the airport to find a dress, shoes and accessories.

When Adam showed up at Sarah's hotel room, he was flabbergasted with the way she looked. She wore a knee length silk dress that was a deep violet that was bunched under the bust with a delicate looking broach. Her hair was pulled back and loosely curled and she had a small, but beautiful, diamond necklace on.

“You look beautiful,” Adam told her as she shut her door.

“Thank you,” Sarah blushed as she took his outstretched arm, Adam leading them both towards the elevator.

The two talked a bit as they left the hotel and got in a cab that would be taking them to the ceremony and reception. Sarah knew that Adam could make her laugh when he was texting her and he proved that even in person, he was able to do so. That relieved her quite a bit and his easy going nature put her at ease, even in a room full of people she didn't know.

The ceremony was quick but cute and soon, everyone in attendance was being ushered into the club the reception was going to be held in. Adam took Sarah around the room, introducing her to a few of his ex-teammates that were able to make it as well as some other random people in attendance that he happened to know. Sarah took it all in stride, trying to remember the names of those she didn't recognize, but couldn't help but be a bit overwhelmed. Adam however, dutifully stuck by her side the entire night, knowing she would be lost on her own.

By 11 PM, Sarah was feeling even more overwhelmed by the crowd and decided to duck outside for a quick breather. She needed time to adjust to everything that had happened. She was used to being around NHL players, with her two best friends being involved with them, and occasionally going out to lunch with Ben Eager in San Jose once Jon introduced the two, but Sarah knew that Adam saw their night out as a date as did most of everyone she was introduced to, and that made it all more real to her. She didn't know if she was ready to be involved with an NHL player.

A few minutes later, Adam came out and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. “You okay?” he whispered into her ear.

“Yeah, just a little tired. I think I should head back to my hotel, get some sleep, ya know?” she said quietly.

“Sure, I'll take you back there,” he offered.

“You don't have to. I know it's been a while since you've seen everyone. I can take a cab myself.”

“No, I brought you here, the least I can do is make sure you make it safely back to your room,” he told her, softly smiling at her and tucking a stray curl behind her ear.

“Thanks,” she smiled at him.

The two of them headed back inside the club and started to say their goodbyes. They made sure to stop by and say thank you and congratulations to the newlyweds.

When they reached the outside, Adam opened the cab door for Sarah and closed it once she was safely inside. Then, he made his way to the other door and got in. Once he was seated in the cab, he gently took her left hand in his right.

“Thank you for coming with me,” he told her, genuinely meaning it.

“Thank you for inviting me. I had a fun time,” she replied, being completely honest with him.

They continued the ride in silence, as well as the journey in the elevator and down the hall to her door. Once Sarah managed to open her door, she turned to thank Adam again.

“Of course,” Adam told her. “Sarah, I want you to know that I plan to take you out more than just tonight. When you have a free night or two in a city, any city, let me know and I'll get there. I want this to work. I want you to give me a chance.”

Adam quickly kissed her, not giving her a moment to object, let alone realize he was kissing her, and left her to go into her room.