Status: Active :)

I'm No Superhero; Just Your Ordinary Freak

A Fresh Start

Prologue

The sun was beating down on me. I stared out into the open desert, awaiting the rapid arrival I knew would come. The sand was bare, and there was no sign of life for miles. But I knew they were coming. They always came.

And slowly, like the few droplets that fall before a monsoon, they started dropping from the sky.

I resumed my stance, shoulders squared and feet apart, and awaited my death.

1

“Earth to Leila,” Britney hissed from my right.

I rolled my eyes at the sound of a name that wasn’t even mine, but feigned recognition and turned to look at her. “What?”

“Stop zoning, Mr Q is going to catch you.” Britney was Barbie Doll pretty, in the type of way that would have gotten her somewhere ten years ago. These days the only Barbie Dolls people like are the Serena van der Woodsen type.

I pulled a face to show my absence of care, but Britney had already started scribbling frantically on a note that had showed up on her desk.

High School. You’ve got to love how superficial it is. Where else will someone get penalised for wearing Vans instead of Supergas? Where else do you get put down for wanting a future?

I was ashamed to be seated where I was. So I’m wearing a t-shirt that says “I can do better” and you immediately place me with girls that can barely spell? It’s pitiful actually. And, what’s worse is that my lovely Cyanide and Happiness shirt was ruined this morning, by a Starbucks dasher, and I was forced to do something I would have never considered – I bought a top from Abercrombie. It was disgusting; I felt dirty just walking into the store. But jobs are jobs, and work is work; you gotta do what you gotta do.

“I love your top,” Britney turned to me and smiled broadly. I already knew she had been badmouthing me since I’d arrived, and I really had no interest in playing kissass. “I have that one in pink.”

“Really?” I asked in fake admiration. “’Cause I had to buy this shirt this morning, when my other one got ruined.” I flicked something off my chest, and then held out the edges of the shirt as I looked at the design. “Its quite hideous, actually.” I turned and looked Britney dead in the eye. “I can only imagine how awful it must look in pink.”

Okay, so maybe that was uncalled for, but I really could not find the will power within me to fake interests and tolerate some bottle-blonde’s crap.

“You didn’t have to be rude,” Britney sounded genuinely hurt, so I backpedalled.

“Sorry,” I tried to sound as sincere as I possibly could while looking into her baby blue eyes. Kids’ gotta learn it’s a tough world out there; you don’t go out guns blazing and then cry wolf afterwards. “I’m just over everyone at this school.”

“Why?” Bless her heart; she was as bipolar as they came. One second I was Perez Hilton worthy, and the next she was concerned for me. In that moment, anyways.

I eyed her warily, and wondered how much trouble her and her friends would give me if I actually spoke my mind, and the truth. So instead I opted for plan B.

I leaned forward slightly; making sure none of our classmates had been listening too closely or watching too eagerly. Britney’s eyes widened at our proximity like I knew they would. I quickly checked the clock to see how much longer until the lesson was over – 7 minutes. Slowly I let my pupils dilate and watched as her face became blank. Her mouth parted slightly, showing me she was completely subdued.

I thought for a moment, smiling wickedly as I realised how easily I could turn the entire school’s structure upside down, but then decided that was for another day. “Forget about everything you and I spoke about. If anyone asks, I’m a nice girl,” my voice was low so no one could over hear what I was saying. “My shirt was borrowed, because of an accident,” I stressed, “and you and your friends mustn’t show me any trouble.” I smiled triumphantly, as I had presented myself with the perfect weapon to shield myself from the wrath of high school girls. “Nod your head if you understand.”

Britney nodded once.

“Good, now carry on with whatever it was you were doing.”

I turned away and continued to stare out of the frosted window that overlooked one of the school’s fields. Britney’s aimless chatter drifted towards me, something about a party at someone’s house. “You should come, Leila,” she smiled at me. “It’ll be fun!”

I shook my head. “Maybe next time. I’m still settling into my home and stuff.”

I nearly laughed at Britney’s disappointed expression. “Okay…”

The bell chimed loudly, and the class stood up abruptly. I gathered my things, but hung back until the class was moderately empty. Once it was I began to make my way out the door.

It was time to go find my new assignment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just the first chapter :) hope you enjoy it x