‹ Prequel: Means the World
Status: hiatus.

Ready to Start

10.

It had been exceedingly awkward.

Sydney’s parents were the type of people one typically despised-rich, worldly, and they made sure everyone knew about it. Rowan was in the middle of telling George a story about how he bought a camel in Egypt and how Serena had come across Nefertiti’s treasure, only to be chased by mutant mummies.

“That sounds fascinating, Mr. Lake. I’ve been to Egypt myself.” George said, remembering the trip he’d taken with his family all those years ago. He fondly remembered trying to shut Percy in one of the tombs with Fred. The two snickered the whole time as their mother had gone five minutes without noticing the banging from the inside of the pyramid entrance.

“Is that where you got your horrible deformity, my dear?” Serena asked. “You are missing an ear.”

Sydney choked on her soup. “Mum!” she yelped, horrified.

George gave her a look. “No, actually. I got it in battle.”

“Oh, battle scars,” Rowan began. “You must tell us how you got that.”

“I’m sure George doesn’t want to tell us.” Sydney muttered.

“Stay quiet, Sydney dear.” Rowan said. “Now, go on.”

Feeling egged by Sydney’s parents, George began his tale. “Well, you see my family is quite close to Harry Potter. In order to protect him, we had to fly him past a swarm of death eaters. In the mess, I lost an ear.”

“Oh my dear boy, you are so lucky you hadn’t lost anything else!” Serena squeaked.

“I did, actually.” George murmured.

“What else did you lose? An appendage?” Rowan whispered.

Knowing where George was going with this story, Sydney’s ears perked up. “George, are you sure you want to tell this story?” she asked softly. She feared that he might lash out.

“No, I figured it’s about time I start. I’ve never actually told anyone this story…not even you, Sydney.” George said.

“What did you lose, boy?” Rowan asked, starting to get confused.

“I lost my twin brother in the Battle of Hogwarts. He was killed when a wall got destroyed and it fell on him.” George choked out.

Suddenly, there was a feeling of liberation.

He’d told Fred’s story for the first time since Fred had actually died. It had been the first time he’d ever told anyone.

Looking at the reactions around the table, George was silent. Serena held a hand over her mouth while Rowan gasped. Sydney had a look of pure sadness-a look of understanding, and a look of regret.

“Oh George.” Sydney murmured.

“Oh how horrible…that is so terribly tragic. I cannot simply imagine what one must go through, losing a twin. I cannot even begin to understand the science of being a twin, nonetheless how a mother can have twins.” Serena clucked.

George’s eyebrows furrowed. “But surely you understand?”

Sydney’s eyes perked up and her jaw dropped. “George, let me explain.”

“What on earth are you talking about?” Rowan asked.

“You have twin daughters…Sydney has a twin sister. You know what it’s like to have twins.”
George said.

Serena gave him a look. “You’re being silly. Sydney is an only child.”

“But her name is Victoria! There are pictures of her all over the place.” George said, getting up. He grabbed the picture frame of Victoria and Sydney and showed it to them.

“Look darling, two Sydneys in one picture.” Rowan mused. He looked up at George. “Sydney is our only daughter.”

George looked up at Sydney, whose jaw was dropped. “Elise was right. You’re a liar.” He croaked. Grabbing his jacket, he left.

Sydney ran after him. “George, please listen to me!”

“No! I trusted you!” George yelled.

“Please, George, you don’t understand.” She sobbed.

George turned around. They were outside in the middle of the road. “You don’t understand! I told you about Fred! You said you understood!”

“I do understand!” Sydney screamed.

George shook his head and went for the park. Sydney followed.

“Please, just hear me out!” she cried.

“Why should I? You’re not a twin, Sydney. You lied to me to get to know me, or whatever crap Elise was telling me. Hermione said there wasn’t a file for Victoria…I know I should’ve listened to Elise, but I thought I could trust you. Now she’s right. She’s always been right.” George said. His face was red.

“Please, she’s wrong, George. You have to understand me, you have to.” She sobbed. “No one understands.”

“How can they? Your web of lies is too big.” He said shakily.

“Please, let me explain it all to you. When I tell you, it’ll make so much more sense.” She said. “Please, I’m begging you George.”

“Why should I?” George asked.

“Because you’re the only friend I’ve ever had.” She croaked. “Or at least, thought I had.”

“Will you tell me the truth?” George asked.

Sydney turned and waved her wand, a bubble enclosing them. It didn’t take long for George to realize she was casting silencing spells so no one else could hear.

“Be open minded, please. And don’t think worse of me when you find out the truth.” Sydney murmured.

And with that, Sydney Lake began her story.