‹ Prequel: Means the World
Status: hiatus.

Ready to Start

14.

Elise sat with Hermione, Angelina, and Alicia at the table.

“It’s not healthy.” Elise said. “He spends all his time with this girl he hardly knows.” She complained.

“You don’t know that.” Angelina said. “She might be a lovely person…I’m sure she’s just shy.”

“She’s a liar, Angelina. I know it. I checked and everything.” Hermione fired back. “But it feels like something is missing in her story.”

Alicia rolled her eyes. “She’s a tosser, that’s all I think. Quiet, but not so smart.”

Elise nodded. “I just want what’s best for George.”

Angelina coughed a bit. “What about what he wants, Elise?”

Elise turned her head. “What?” she barked.

Angelina shrugged. “When was the last time George was excited to see someone? When was the last time he was happy? When was the last time he laughed?”

The group stayed quiet.

“He finally has someone he can talk to, someone he likes to talk to. He won’t talk to Lee, me, Alicia, or Oliver about it. As long as he has someone to talk to…look, he laughs around her. He looks happier than ever.” Angelina pointed out.

Elise sighed. “I get your point…but I don’t think I’ll ever like her.”

Angelina shrugged. “I guess you don’t have to…you just have to be there for George if it all falls apart.”

*~*~*~*

“You’re kidding.” Sydney said with wide eyes.

George laughed. “I’m not!”

Sydney burst into peals of laughter. “I can’t believe you did that!” she said.

George smiled ferociously. He had been telling Sydney his adventures with testing products on first years. He had just finished telling her a daring adventure where he and Fred had kidnapped a Slytherin who had bullied Ginny and force fed him skiving snack box treats.

“What did he do?” Sydney gasped, after laughing.

George chuckled. “After his boils stopped bursting, Fred obliviated his memory of that day. It was hilarious. He was so confused as to why he was in a broom closet with the Weasley twins.”

Sydney grinned and downed her drink. “He sounds like a hoot, Fred does.”

George leaned forward. “You talk about them like they’re alive.” He said quietly.

She shrugged. “They are, in our hearts. I know it sounds like a load of waffle, but Vic will always be there. She’s in me. We have the same blood.”

George smiled. “You’re so smart.”

Sydney shrugged again. “Did you try that technique I told you about?” she asked.

George shook his head. “I’m too scared.”

Sydney touched his hand; he felt a warm over come him. “Try it. Trust me…you’ll feel better.”

George nodded. “It does work?”

Sydney sighed. “The first couple times, you just feel awkward. I did. Then you get angry…but in the end…it helped me through.”

George nodded hopelessly. “I don’t know what I’d do without you, Syd.”

Sydney smiled. “What are friends for, George?”

George felt butterflies in his stomach. “I’m going to go try it right now.”

*~*~*~*

George hurried home; he ran up to his room, locked the door, and put silencing charms. For the first time in forever, he took the sheet off the mirror and stared at himself. He couldn’t see Fred.

After a half an hour, George groaned. “What are you doing, George?” Tilting his head, he took a deep breath.

“Hey Forge.” He whispered. “I miss you more and more every day.”

George drilled holes into the mirror. “Why’d you die? Why’d you leave me, here? I should’ve gone with you. I thought of it…but I wasn’t fast enough. I was about to grab you…but you were gone already.” He teared up.

“We’re supposed to grow old together…we’re supposed to have kids the same age, and they’re supposed to be best friends. We’re supposed to have a double wedding.” George sobbed.

“You left me here all by myself! I spent months, years trying to pick myself back up! I’m barely myself anymore…I can’t even make a bloody patronus anymore.” George screamed at the mirror. “I hate you! I hate you so much! You died on me, you arse! You promised me the two of us would make it through! You said you were okay!” he roared.

George huffed, staring at the mirror.

“I don’t really hate you. I love you. You’re my second half.” He whispered.

George collapsed in his chair. “But you’re not around…Elise is going to die eventually because she can’t live without you. Abby needs a father. She’s got Wood and me, but it’s not the same…and I need you.” He murmured. “She deserves to have you.”

“There’s a girl…she says I can get better…she had a twin too, and she died.” George said. “I think I like her…except I don’t know…I don’t know how to love her, approach her.” He said. “I need my wingman.” George stated, touching the mirror.

“Without you, I’ve been nothing.”
♠ ♠ ♠
*sob*