This Is Worth The Pain

Chapter 3

“She’s back!” Greg cheered, racing over to me. I couldn’t help, but laugh at his enthusiasm. I had only been gone a week.

“Geez, Greg. Loosen your grip.” He pulled back, smirking. The bastard hurt me on purpose! I went to hit his arm, b ut he pulled back too fast for me. I scowled. “Meanie.” I called, playfully stinking out my tongue.

“Put that back in your mouth little lady before I snag it.” He scolded me, winking after he was done.

“Mr. Hickey, pleas let Miss Rein get to her seat without assaulting her again.” Mr. Brian told Greg. He nodded, bowing to his superior.

“Yes, sir.” He saluted Mr. Brian and then raced back to his seat in the back next to a few of his friends. I laughed again, moving my crutches forward, making my way to my seat.

I had found out the day after I woke up that I had a concussion, a broken leg and a bruised rib. It was quite serious, but I guess I recovered faster than they had thought. I really wasn’t supposed to be in school today, but it was boring sitting at home just thinking about everything, about him.

I finally convinced Ash to let me go back since my parents ended up leaving Tuesday night when they heard about an auction and party they were invited to. They were going to stay, but I told them I was in control and fine, that they could go. That way I had an easier chance of coming back to school.

I wasn’t really one to have people surrounding me, especially before Kale and me, but as soon as I crutched my way through the building’s doors this morning, I was getting hugs and ‘hope you get better soons’. It was actually really weird, but I didn’t mind it. When it came from people I had no clue who they were it was weird, sure, but it was nice knowing people cared about others especially when things happened like they had.

Candi had assisted me to my first couple classes and Ash to my others, but this one they agreed to let me handle on my own. It was funny how they had argued about who was going to help me, where and when. I didn’t even notice Rachel standing behind Ash, waiting for them to get to class.

I hadn’t told Ash about what had happened a few weeks ago. I never got to it with every with Kale and I, our date, our argument, the crash, our other argument, and even his threat. I gulped remembering how his eyes looked. They were filled with rage and sadness altogether.

Something in my heart hurt remembering it all. It was too much and that’s why I wanted back in school, for others to take my mind off of it. It was working so far besides the few people who asked about the accident and what happened when Kale crashed the car. I explained to them a car hit us and then left it at that.

Not everyone needed to know about our personal relationship. The one that had went from recently romantic to hatred.

“Izzy.” My name was whispered and I turned to look who had said it. My eyes met a pair of caramel brown ones and I smiled.

“Yeah Oliver?” Oliver smiled and scooted a bit closer so that I could hear him better when he whispered.

“How are you feeling?” I shrugged.

“Besides the achiness from the crutches and the constant headaches, I’m alright.” I replied honestly. He nodded.

“Sounds way better than what everyone thought.” I nodded.

“Yeah, they all think I should be in a wheel chair or something.” We both laughed. They were all over-reacting. I was alright. The accident wasn’t that dramatic, or so I guessed. When I noticed Oliver was still looking at me I looked back at him. “So, what’s up?” I asked, popping the ‘p’. He shrugged.

“Nothing really, I ugh, just wanted to…” He started but then faded off, scratching the back of his neck.

“Wanted to…?” I urged.

He bit his lip before blurting out, “Know if you’d go on a date with me?” A smile crossed my lips and his cheeks turned a deep pink. I heard a snicker come from the back of the room and realized it was from Greg. He must’ve been listening in. I glared at him quickly before turning back to face the embarrassed Oliver.

“Well, I’m kind of in crutches…” I said, looking down. I heard him let out a sigh.

“It’s okay, I was just asking you know. I mean it’s okay if you don’t have the same-“ I cut him off before he could continue rambling on.

“I would love to. We’ll just have to wait a few days until I can get used to actually walking with my crutches.” With that said his smile reappeared, this time bigger than before.

“Really?” He asked, shocked almost.

“Why not?” I told him, smiling. He went to say something else, but Mr. Brian interrupted us.

“If Izzy needs help I’m sure she can ask for it herself Mr. Dunham.” Oliver’s face heated up once again and I giggled. He looked adorable when he was embarrassed.

“Y-yes sir.” He scooted his chair back into his own seat just as the bell rang. I started to get my stuff together when it was picked up for me.

“You don’t have to do that.” I informed Oliver, but he shook his head.

“It’s no problem. Plus, we need you to get used to those crutches so we can go on our date.” I laughed after he winked my way and started out of the room.

**************************************

“Hey Ash.” Ash stopped in the living room, looking over at my abandoned crutches.

“Izzy.” He scolded me, grabbing them and placing them by my foot that was currently resting on the coffee table as I lounged on the couch.

“Sorry, I wanted to see if I could put pressure on my cast.” I really wanted be able to walk without them. I wasn’t really good with them and they slowed me down, by a TON! It was easier to walk without them even though it hurt still with my cast.

“Doctor Thomas said you’ll have to wait a few weeks before actually walking without them.” I frowned. A few weeks was just way too long. “Sorry.” Ash added, plopping down onto the love seat kiddie corner from the couch I was sitting on.

“It’s okay. At least I’m back at school.” I told him, grabbing the remote and changing the channel.

“Oh yeah, when mom and dad call to see how you’re doing, you’re not back at school yet, but you really want to be.” I laughed.

“Got it.”

I set the remote down finally ending up on the CW where How I Met Your Mother was playing reruns. We sat in silence for a while just watching the TV and even the commercials. That was up until Ash’s phone went off. I had heard the ringtone so many times before and knew who it was.

“What’s up with you two?” I asked as Ash went for the phone.

“Just the usual. After she took me back we started off slow again. It’s all good now.” Something in my heart went out for him. Rachel hadn’t told him and it was eating away at me. He had the right to know and she wasn’t going to tell him. I knew of it.

“So, you’re all good?” Ash nodded, picking up his phone and answering the call.

“What’s up?” I heard a few words from her end, but couldn’t make them out. He then got up muttering something about “Yeah… I’ll go check… She’s fine… Better than before.” I knew the last two were about me as he made he way out of the living room.

Why don’t you just tell him Izzy?!

I sighed. I felt like he needed to know, but it wasn’t my place to tell him. I frowned to myself. Rachel made it quite clear that she wasn’t going to say a word to him and that I shouldn’t either. It hurt to see my brother not know anything and her act like it never happened.

“Hey Iz.” I looked up from the TV.

“What?” I called back to Ash.

“Rachel wants to talk to you.” He pulled the phone from his ear and reached out towards me. My heart started to beat a little faster as my hand took the phone. It shakily placed it next to my ear. I had a feeling of what she was going to say.

“Don’t you dare do it.” Her voice hissed through the phone. Every word dripping with the venom she had within her. I didn’t know what to say back, but when I caught the back of Ash’s head as he left the room and headed up the stairs I pulled the phone close to my face and down low.

“You’ve got to tell him Rachel.” I informed her, hoping I could get to her.

“No, I don’t.” She told me sternly. I scowled.

“You’re such a bitch. You know that? You really are!”

“I don’t give a shit Izzy.”

“Well you should! He felt so guilty after doing it to you he told you right away and he was drunk and had no clue it was happening. You knew it the whole time you did it!”

“You tell him Izzy, I dare you. He won’t believe you. Trust me. I can play the little innocent act as well. Try me.” With that the phone line went dead.

What was I supposed to do?

Let my brother find out years after now when they’re happily together or get it over now and deal with Rachel myself?

What the hell was I supposed to do?