Status: all done :)

Dirty Laundry

"Sorry doesn't cover humiliation''

I walked back to the kitchen and grabbed a hot dog. The men were very polite now that they were used to me. They ate at the table and cleaned up after themselves. James sat beside me at the kitchen island. ‘‘How long have you been with him?'' he asked. ‘‘A while'' ''and he's already whipped?'' he snorted. ‘‘Don’t be rude, he isn’t whipped haven’t you ever heard a little phrase ‘hell hath no fury like a woman scorned’? Well I’m more angry than most of my ilk'' I shrugged. He eyed me ''you don’t look angry'' ''that’s because you've yet to be on the receiving end of my fury'' ''and Smith has?'' ‘‘No, we have a mutual understanding. Besides I love him'' ''already?'' ‘‘Yes'' I glared at him. He put his hands up ''I’m not doubting you'' he smiled condescendingly ''but does he love you?'' he asked. I nodded ''are you sure?'' I rolled my eyes ''yes, he does''.

''I’ve never seen him with a woman but he spends a lot of time with Landon and Matt'' ''he's not gay asshole trust me on that one. They are just friends, like brothers'' I shook my head at his stupidity. ‘‘Well I’m just saying'' he shrugged. ‘‘He’s just a private person, that doesn’t mean he's gay. So what if he prefers solitude over women. Women can be evil bitches. I wouldn’t want to date a woman for fear of my heart being ripped out'' ''and yet he's with you?''

‘‘Like I said, a mutual understanding, besides I’m not vain or bitchy…but I can be'' ''like just a few moments ago?'' ''No I can be much worse, the only reason why I acted the way I did was because I was annoyed and he wasn’t helping'' I took a sip of my juice. He didn’t say anything for a while ''I said I was sorry'' ''and I said sorry doesn’t excuse anything if he was hurt or killed'' ''he's not even your natural so-'' ''he isn’t but that doesn’t mean I can’t love him like he were my own'' I hissed at him. He looked down at his plate ''I wasn’t trying to be offensive, sorry'' ''all’s forgiven, just remember that people love their children and if you put them in danger they're going to flip out'' ''duly noted'' he snorted.

‘‘So how long have you known Smith?'' I asked trying to lighten the mood. ‘‘We met in Somalia when I was young. He was in the air force at the time. He got me off the streets and got me a job. I owe him big time'' ''you work for Miri now?'' I asked. He glanced sideways at me suspiciously ''what do you know of Miri'' ''enough to know that she's a bitch'' he chuckled ''yeah I work for Miri I usually work around New York'' ''then what brings you out here?'' ‘‘What else? The money, but I didn’t know it was Smith until I saw him'' ''I see'' ''I take it you know…everything?'' he said quietly looking behind his shoulder to make sure his men couldn’t hear us.

‘‘Yes'' ''and you’re ok with Smith?'' ‘‘Yes''. Why couldn’t people believe that it’s ok to be ok with their partner's lifestyle however strange it might be? James eyed me ''why do you sigh?'' ‘‘Because you’re not the only person to ask if I’m ok with what Smith is'' he chuckled ''sorry, it’s just...well we have to keep our lives secret from our wives, girlfriends, and children for fear of rejection. No one wants to purposely date or marry us if they know we kill for a living. It’s frowned upon''.

‘‘True, but I’m fine with it. Really it doesn’t bother me one bit as long as he keeps his work away from home...well except for the occasional attack but that’s justifiable'' I shrugged. ''I take it I’m not the only one to attack?'' ‘‘No, but they are dead. I can’t scold them the way I scolded you''.

By the time we finished eating Gabe came downstairs with Kyle in hand. I took Kyle from him so he could eat. He was on the phone talking in low tones to someone. I guess something is up. But I stopped, noticing it was my phone I narrowed my eyes at him ''your father'' he mouthed. I laughed loosening up. I didn’t mind him answering my phone but the way he spoke in clipped almost hostile tones made me weary, but now that I knew it’s just my dad it’s to be expected. Daddy was always the bane in our family. He could make any one uneasy if he wanted to.

I guess he was trying to scare off Gabe. He held the phone out to me and I took it ''daddy be nice'' ''what? I didn’t do anything'' he said nonchalantly. ‘‘Daddy'' I grumbled ''it’s just some healthy competition you know I want what’s best for you my little monkey'' ''yeah whatever you just don’t want me to date because you are over protective'' I grumbled. ‘‘So what do you want other than to insult my boyfriend?'' ‘‘Just checking up on you'' ''and making sure that I’m not dead'' I snorted. ‘‘No I trained you better'' ''yeah yeah I know'' I rolled my eyes even though I knew he couldn’t see me.

''Well ok little monkey I've gotta go the warden is poking me for manual labor'' ''you poor man'' I said sarcastically. ‘‘Love you'' ''love you too daddy behave'' ''I always do'' ''daddy'' I warned ''I won’t start any fights today…promise'' ''cross your heart hope to die?'' ''Well, not hope to die but I cross my heart'' ''ok then. Bye bye'' I set my phone aside. Gabe took a beer out of the fridge ''eat something before you get yourself inebriated'' I rolled my eyes. He just kissed my temple and sat in my seat. ''I’m going to the grocery store need anything?'' I asked. ''M&Ms'' ''ok'' I nodded as I went upstairs to get Kyle ready.

When i got home the house was a circus. The swat like men came out and took the bags of groceries from my trunk and put them in the kitchen and started unpacking at the commands of James. Gabe was MIA. ''…uh so what’s going on?'' ''Gabe went to run an errand ma'am'' he said standing straight. I raised a brow ''I am your guard from here on out until Smith comes home'' he said sternly ''we don’t want to encroach on you or burden you so sit back and we'll take care of everything'' he was talking like a drill sergeant ''I don’t think your screaming loud enough James, Michigan cant here you'' I rocked Kyle's car seat so he wouldn’t cry.

He looked contrite ''sorry, I was getting carried away'' ''don’t sweat it…dinners at seven and I guess you and your men have free reign of the guest bedrooms downstairs they are right down the hall'' I pointed to the hall way. ''just be careful for the last door down the hall that leads to the basement and the stairs are steep not that you guys have any need to go in there but if it happens just watch your step, uh let’s see there’s a bathroom upstairs and I think i can find some spare clothes if it’s needed'' ''don’t worry about us, we have our packs'' ''ok then…you guys know where the TV is I’ll be upstairs for a while'' I nodded.

‘‘Oh one more thing'' James stopped me ''huh?'' ''Smith said he'll be home for dinner'' ''ok, do you know where he went?'’ he swallowed uneasily ''he went to run an errand'' he said lamely. ‘‘He was decommissioned for a week to heal...by the skin on your back I hope you’re not telling me he went out to work'' I twitched getting upset. James scratched the back of his neck ''well…its work related…per se'' ''per se? Why don’t you just tell me the truth'' I grumbled. He sighed nodding ''he told me you'd get mad'' ''oh I’m not mad, I’m annoyed he promised!'' i walked off leaving them in the kitchen; I put Kyle in his little swing and went about doing laundry.

I went to the back yard with Cerberus after loading the laundry. Cerberus ignored the bone he’d been chewing and sat with a pointed stare at the front. It was then I saw Gabe’s car. He drove closer and my jaw went slack. He parked and got out of the car and came towards me but i just kept my eyes on the guest who stared just as wide eyed at me. Gabe put an arm around me ''I know I know I promised'' he kissed my cheek. ''It’s ok'' I said absently. ''Oh yeah this is-'' ''Jared'' I hissed the name. Gabe paused ''you know him?'' ''We went to high school together, he was the bane of my existence'' I sighed glaring at Jared who gave a tentative smile ''hi Nani''.

His light brown hair was almost shaved off like in high school and he wore kaki cargo shorts and a Hurley t-shirt as usual. But something changed about him. He wasn’t the idiot from history class. There was darkness in his light eyes that seem to haunt him like a shadow. No doubt he was a fresh recruit or still in the academy. ‘‘How long have you known him?'' I asked Gabe ''he's my mentor'' Jared covered. ‘‘So you joined the military?'' I asked. ‘'Something like that'' Jared said quietly. ''You've changed'' I said just as quiet as him. ''My CO wanted me to pick him up, there was an incident'' Gabe whispered to me. I looked at Jared as he stood there with a military back pack slung over his shoulder looking awkward. ''Ok I was just going to make dinner'' ‘’don’t bother, too many people I’ll order pizza'' ''you sure? I’m used to cooking for large groups of people'' I smiled at him. ‘‘Too much work'' he pecked the hollow beneath my ear.

I rolled my eyes then patted my thigh for Cerberus to follow. I left Gabe with Jared but I still couldn’t shake the nightmare of high school and the hell he gave me. Now that I know he knows my boyfriend, not to mention he's his mentor, I just couldn’t really believe it.

When Gabe walked in and showed Jared around I sat quietly watching Jared. I just couldn’t trust him. When Jared spotted me nursing Kyle he just froze. An overwhelming urge to hide Kyle hit me and I glared at Jared. ''I see you still don’t like me'' he sighed. ''I wonder why'' I growled at him. ''Shanell that was high school, I know it wasn’t so long ago but-'' ''you were an asshole then how do I know you’re not an asshole now?''

''Because I’ve changed'' ''over the course of a year?’’ ‘‘I’ve seen and done shit you wouldn’t imagine'' ‘’like killing someone? Been there done that tell me something new. Who’d have thought you'd turn out to be a wimp'' ''I’m not a wimp!'' ‘‘Yeah? You probably killed one man right? Still in the academy or whatever yeah? Well let me tell you something, I don’t care.

You’re going to kill more and you’re going to regret many things but you can’t sit there and convince me you've changed. I won’t buy it. Under that scared fresh recruit is the asshole from high school. You won’t fool me and I’d sooner kill you than let you live if you even think about humiliating me again, understood? I’m not some joke Jared. All the funny business from history class, making fun of me, calling me names, and pranking me is going to stop. I didn’t enforce it earlier but now I am. I’m telling you not asking you to back the fuck off. And don’t think you can scare me because I know exactly what you’re training to be. And honestly I don’t think your cut out for it. What’s a rich white kid who's over privileged doing in the CIA? On what grounds do you have a reason to blast someone’s brains out or slit their throat? For fun? You joined for a wholly other reason and now that it’s not what it seems you’re scarred for life with no way out. Well next time don’t fill your eyes before you fill your belly you might just grab too much to eat''
‘‘I know I was a jerk in high school, I’m sorry'' ''sorry doesn’t cover humiliation'' I said coldly.

Gabe stood off to the side watching us. He came towards me. ‘‘If it’s a problem I can hand him over to Landon'' Gabe said quietly. ''No it’s fine I’m just letting him know what’s what'' ''be nice'' he kissed my temple ''why should I?'' ''Shanell'' he said playfully taking Kyle from me. ''What? It’s the truth. Why should I be nice? He was never nice to me'' ''Wasn’t it you who told me a little kindness can go a long way?'' ''…well that’s...'' ''Shanell'' ''fine I'll be civil'' I rolled my eyes. ''He'll stay in one of the rooms with a bunk bed'' Gabe nodded towards the hall way.

''Is James staying?'' ''For one night then he'll be gone in the morning'' ''ok just wondering because there’s only one room left'' I nodded. With everyone in the house the space was occupied downstairs. The only bedrooms left were the ones upstairs and there were only two, Gabe’s and mine and Kyle’s. Other than that there were four bedrooms downstairs. One was a master guest bedroom and the others had two twin sized beds in them. All together we could fit about twelve people in the house. But that was if you shared the king-sized beds with another person.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks for reading ^.^