Status: Hiatus.

Incompatible

The Strange Meetings of Strange People

Image


"Luella, dear, can you shelf these new books for me?" Sam asked. With a sweet smile, Luella took the heavy box of books from the old man and walked to the back shelf. The bells over the door rang, signaling another customer, but Luella ignored it. She knew Sam would handle it. "Poe, Shakespeare..." she called off as she shelved the books. This was one of her favorite sections in the book store, right behind science fiction. Really the only books she didn't like were the ones about vampires or werewolves. Those books always made her angry. People didn't have a clue what they were talking about and, in Luella's opinion, people shouldn't talk about things they aren't certain of.

Luella finished shelving the books and headed towards the front of the door when something extremely odd happened. She tripped. Luella Anne Moreau, the unnaturally graceful girl who had never missed a beat in her life, tripped. And all because of a man. Luella composed herself then took a good look at the man. He couldn't be much older than her, she thought. But, as his black eyes scanned the books in front of him, she noticed a look of wisdom to him, like he had been alive for centuries and had learned many things. Her eyes scanned the rest of this stranger. His dark hair was slicked back, showing off his stoic bone structure. As Luella looked over his dark clothing she realized this man was extremely attractive, and also he was staring straight back at her.

Lukan had been aware of her as soon as he walked into the store. He stared blankly at a row of books when he felt her staring at him. He looked over at her and let a small smile play on his lips. She was quite beautiful. Her long dark curls splayed over her shoulder and onto her chest as her glowing blue green eyes seemed to study his every detail. Her eyes suddenly linked with his and grew larger. Luella walked past the mysterious man feeling embarrassed that he had caught her staring at him. Lukan grabbed a book off the shelf then walked to the register where the girl was now standing.

"Hello." he said smoothly. Luella almost shivered at the mans fluid voice. "I'd like to purchase this book." Luella smiled and took the book from the man. "Did you find everything alright?" she asked in a small voice. Lukans smile grew slightly. "Yes I did, thank you, Luella." Luella looked up at him questioningly, wondering how he had known her name. She had never offered it, and she certainly didn't know his. His smile never fading, Lukan pointed at her name tag. Luella looked at it then blushed. "Um, that'll be $11.50 please." Lukan handed her the money. This girl was amusing him. She seemed normal, but Lukan could tell there was something different about her. Something special. Luella handed him the book and a receipt with a small smile. "Have a nice day." Lukan nodded politely then started to walk off. "Oh." he started, turning back to her. "My name is Lukan." He winked slightly at the girl, then walked off. "How odd." Luella breathed then continued working.

**************

Over the next few weeks, Luella and Lukan saw a lot of each other. Lukan found himself fascinated with this girl, although he was not sure why. Luella always noticed him; He seemed very odd to her. Why was he always around her? Was it just her imagination? These questions seemed to haunt her mind, along with many other involving this strange but attractive man.

Luella was working another shift at the book store exactly a month after she and Lukan had first met. It was a very slow night, barely anyone came in at all. It didn't surprise Luella, though, there was a storm with a vengeance outside. She was, however, surprised the power hadn't gone out yet. Luella sat on the ground, criss cross applesauce, in the back of the store. She was in the middle of reading Macbeth when someone stepped into her light. “I thought you were supposed to be working.” A deep voice said. A small smile crept to Luella's lips as she looked up at the smirking Lukan. “Yes, well, you're the only person that's braved this storm just to grace me with your presence.” Luella stood and straightened her dress then tilted her head at him. “Why are you here anyway?”

Lukan smiled at the girl as he answered, “I thought I would come keep you company during the storm.” Luella's smile grew slightly. “Oh. That's... really nice of you.” They smiled at each other for a moment then Lukan cleared his throat. “So, what were you reading?” Luella had completely forgotten all about the book in her hand, she had to look at it before she could answer. “Oh, um, Macbeth.” She replied. She put the book in its place on the shelf then looked to Lukan, who stood there watching her every move with interest. Luella smiled at him, “Would you like some coffee?” she asked, “My shift's about over--”
“Luella dear, you can head on home.” Sam said from across the store. Luella giggled softly at the old man. Her laugh sounded like bells chiming to Lukan's ears, but he quickly came to his senses. “Thanks Sam!” Luella called back.

She looked back up into Lukan's dark eyes and smiled nervously. “So, coffee?” Lukan's smile faded a bit as he answered. “I can't, I'm sorry.” Luella was slightly confused by the massive disappointment she felt, but she wouldn't let it be seen, so she kept her small smile. However, Lukan saw it in her eyes as she spoke. “That's alright, maybe some other time?” Lukan nodded with a smile. “Absolutely.” He raised her hand to his lips and kissed it, then smiled and left. Luella's heart rate had sped up increasingly, a feeling she was unfamiliar with, but she was pretty sure she liked it. Lukan cursed himself as he ran with unnatural speed to his temporary home. He was letting himself get entirely too involved with this girl. He knew it was dangerous, but he couldn't help it. Luella fascinated him like no other ever had, and he needed to find out why.

***********

Three days passed and Luella saw nothing of Lukan. He, however, had seen her. Today was Luella's dance recital; She wasn't nervous though, she knew she would do well. Unnatural grace was her gift, ever since she was born. Luella walked out onto the stage and began her dance. All eyes were on her, but her mind was in the dance. Lukan sat in the back of the auditorium almost in awe. He had seen this kind of grace before, something about her was familiar, something he had dealt with before, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. Luella didn't miss a beat as she danced across the stage. Her long curly hair flew around her hair as she jumped and twirled, and her eyes were gently closed. She stopped on time with the music and the whole crowd burst into cheers.

Luella curtsied then walked backstage. Some of the dance teachers praised her as she walked by, and she politely thanked them. “Well done.” A familiar deep voice came from the corner. A smile tugged at Luella's lips as she turned to face Lukan. “Thank you.” she said, more genuinely than with the others. Lukan took a step towards the beauty and handed her a single pink rose. “I'm sure you will be given many of these, but I like the thought of giving you one myself.” Luella's cheeks flushed a pale pink as she accepted it. “Thank you, Lukan, that's very thoughtful.” she said in a small voice. Lukan smiled at her “Is it too late to accept that coffee?” he asked. Something told him that was a bad idea, but everything else screamed in acceptance. Luella let out a small laugh, “No it hasn't expired yet. But I should probably change--”
“You look beautiful the way you are.” Lukan interrupted. He held out his arm and Luella, whose cheeks were a bit brighter of a pink, looped her arm through.

What a sight they were, a couple of perfection. Luella's hair bounced as she walked arm in arm with the mysterious yet attractive man, her in a short black dance dress and him in a black suit. Luella fiddled with the rose in her hand as they walked. Why was this man so intriguing to her? Yes, he was the best looking man she'd ever seen, but that wasn't what was making her mind fill with him. It was the mystery, there was something hidden in his eyes, a secret, and she was far too curious. Luckily, she didn't believe that “The curiosity killed the cat.” They arrived at the practically empty coffee shop and sat at one of the metal tables by the windows. Lukan pushed her seat in for her, then sat in the chair across the table, carefully watching her every move. Luella gently placed the rose on the table then smiled at Lukan, who in turn smiled back. “So, where are you from?” Luella asked softly.

Lukan smiled gently as he answered, “I'm from all over, but my true home is in the outskirts of London.” Luella's eyes lit up. “I've always wanted to visit London country! I was actually born in the French country, but my parents moved to the states before I had even turned a year.” Why was she indulging this man her life story? Luella looked down at her hands with an embarrassed laugh. “I'm sorry, I'm talking too much.”
“I don't mind at all.” Lukan said sincerely. Luella looked up into his eyes, which were already fixed on her, and smiled softly. Their gaze was unbroken until a waiter walked up to them. “What can I get for you?” he asked, uncaring. Luella smiled politely up at the man. “Um, just black coffee please.”
“And you?” the waiter asked, looking to Lukan, his tone unchanged. Lukan only looked up at him for a split second before returning his gaze to Luella. “I'll have the same.” he remarked. The waiter walked off into the kitchen, only to return a moment later with two mugs of coffee. “Where did you learn to dance?” Lukan asked after the man walked off. He wanted to know everything about her. Luella set down her mug after taking a sip. “I didn't.” she said then giggled a musical laugh. “That sounds odd doesn't it? I never took lessons. I started dancing as soon as I could walk. My parents were so proud. My mother would tuck me in at night, kiss my forehead, then say 'Never give up on your dreams, Chérie, for when you do, all hope fades.'” Luella went silent as she stared at her coffee, and Lukan felt immense pity for her.

“What happened?” he asked softly. Luella looked up at him, and he noticed her eyes were slightly less bright than usual. Her voice came out softly, almost a whisper, but Lukan could hear her clearly. “I woke up on my 7th birthday to find them lifeless on the kitchen floor. The room was spotless, Mother had obviously just finished cleaning. I remember getting so cross at the police, yelling at them for walking in the clean kitchen. Such a silly thing to be angry about.” Luella's eyes had moved back to her hands around her coffee mug. Lukan hesitantly reached across the table and grasped one of her small warm hands in his cold one. Luella looked up at his dark yet soft eyes. He didn't have to say anything, his touch was comforting enough. A soft smile crept onto Luella's face, along with a pale pink blush. “I should walk you home.” Lukan's deep voice broke the silence. Luella looked to the old clock on the wall and nodded. They reluctantly let go of one another and stood. Lukan was quickly at Luella's side, opening the door for her, and offering his suit jacket when he noticed the goosebumps form on her arms.

“Thank you.” Luella said softly as he helped her put it on. They walked closely side by side until they made it to Luella's small gray house. “You live alone?” Lukan asked as Luella unlocked the door. Luella nodded and opened the door, the heat from the house seeping outside. She slipped off his jacket and handed it to him gently, careful not to crush the rose in her hand. “Make sure to lock up.” Lukan said. Luella let out a small laugh and nodded. “I will. Thank you for walking me home.” Lukan smiled, bent forward slightly, kissed Luella's cheek, then straightened again. “Bonne nuit Belle.” Luella blushed again “Bonne nuit Lukan.” Lukan bowed his head then turned and walked off. Luella walked into her house and locked up as instructed. She went to bed that night unable to get the mysterious Lukan out of her head. What a strange but wonderful man.
♠ ♠ ♠
I dont know how long it will be until I post the next chapter, but I promise to be as fast as I can!!