I Hate To Say This But I'm Stuck On Loving You, John O'Callaghan

PART 13

That is hardly a question. Of course I want to go out with John.

“Well, John Cornelius O’Callaghan V, I would love to go out with you tonight.”

“Awesome, I’ll pick you up around 7,” he said then kissed me on the cheek and started walking up the driveway, so much for that walk. All we did was stand at the bottom of the driveway. I moved on to the grass so John could back out. I waved to John as he left and he waved back. I waited out there until his car was out of sight and ran back into the house. The second I closed the front door I leaned my back on it and screamed. I didn’t care who heard me. I had a date with John O’Callaghan tonight. Nothing was going to bring me down. I heard footsteps quickly coming towards the top of the stairs and soon enough Pat appeared.

“Are you okay?” he questioned lifting his left eyebrow.

I quickly composed myself. “Me? Yeah, I’m fine. John just asked me to go out with him tonight. It’s no big deal or anything.”

Pat sighed in relief. “Oh, okay, as long as you’re okay.” He started to walk back to his room then came back to the stop of the stair case faster than before.

“John asked you out!?”

I nodded my head. “Yes, Pat we have already established this. He is picking me up at 7.”

Pat sprinted off in the direction of his room. Pat is…his own breed. There is no other way to describe him.

I pulled out my phone to check the time, 5:14 pm. I had a total of an hour and 46 minutes to get ready. I hated when girls in movies or books needed like 2 hours to get ready for a date. It made no sense to me whatsoever. I was nervous and this was a big deal, but I only needed a maximum of 45 minutes to get ready. I still had about an hour and 15 minutes to kill before I needed to get ready so I decided to get my laptop and do some lurking. Time flew by fast and before I knew it, it was 6:15. I closed my laptop and went to the bathroom to take a quick shower. For most people the hardest part was next: picking out what to wear, but not for me. I wanted to be myself. Being myself included wearing whatever the hell I wanted to wear. I decided on a pair of slightly tattered light jeans, a loose grey tank top, and navy blue toms. I dried my hair quickly and put on just a bit of black eyeliner. I looked at the clock to see it was 7 on the dot. Damn, I’m good. About two minutes later I heard the doorbell ring. Oh shit, he’s here. I wasn’t too nervous before, but now I thought my stomach was going to explode. Who knew a single person could have this kind of effect on me? By the time I made it downstairs Mrs. Kirch had answered the door already.

“Hello, John, what a pleasant surprise! Tim just ran out, but Pat is upstairs. Do you want me to go get him for you?”

John scratched the back of his head and started to look around. He spotted me and smiled. I, of course, smiled back. “I’m um actually here to see Caitlin.”

“Oh, I didn’t know you two were friends.”

I cringed at that word, friends.

I cleared my throat and decided to jump into this conversation. “Actually, Mrs. Kirch, John is-“

John cut me off. “I am taking her out on a date.”

“Oh,” Mrs. Kirch made the “o” shape with her mouth.

I nodded and made my way to the doorway.

“Okay, well I hate to be the mom here, but you have school tomorrow so I want you to be home by 10:30. Also, John, I trust you, but don’t you dare try any funny business with her. I expect you to treat her like a lady and if I hear anything bad you don’t want to know what will happen.”

John gulped. “Don’t worry about it. I will treat her well and I will have her home by 10:30.”

Mrs. Kirch smiled. “Good, now go off and have fun!”

I hugged her and walked outside next to John closing the front door behind me. He immediately grabbed my hand and we started walking slowly to his car.

“So, John, where are you taking me tonight?”

“Well, I can’t tell you. It’s a surprise.”

“Can’t you just tell me now? I hate surprises.”

“Now, that wouldn’t be any fun now would it?”

I gave in and by then we were at his car. He walked in front of me so he could make it to the passenger door first so he could open it for me. I didn’t think guys did that anymore. John got in the car and soon enough we were on our way to this unknown destination. The entire car ride was spent playing 20 questions to get to know each other better. They were just dumb little questions though.

“Favorite color?” I asked

“Blue, you?”

“Orange.”

“Well, we’re here.”

I looked out the window to see us parked under a tree in this little vacant grassland type place. We may have been surrounded by grass, but it was beautiful.

“So, I was thinking we would have a picnic and maybe light a fire and roast some marshmallows or something. Oh, and I also have a present for you later.” He said winking.

A present? Shit, I didn’t get this memo.

“You got me a present?”

“Yeah, it’s something I’ve been working on for a while now. It’s no big deal. Don’t worry about it.”

Phew, that was a close one. God dammit why do I talk to myself so much?

John got out of the car and went to the bed of his truck and pulled out a little picnic basket. Inside were a blanket, two sandwiches, chips, and fruit.

“Nothing too fancy, I can’t really cook.” John said nervously pulling everything out and setting it up.

I laughed. “John, it’s not a big deal. It means a lot that you put so much thought and effort into this date.”

“Yeah, I just wanted to have the perfect first date with the perfect girl. To be completely honest I’m really nervous and I have thought about this actually happening for a while now an now that it’s happening…it’s just amazing.”

“Trust me, I know exactly what you mean.”

We ate making small talk getting to know each other even more. I learned that John has two younger brothers, his favorite musician is Tom Petty, and if he wasn’t in a band he would probably be failing at ASU. By the time we finished eating, it had started to get dark. John started the fire and pulled out graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows. We started out roasting marshmallows, but instead of eating them it turned into an intense food fight. It got to the point where I was chasing John down. My knee hurt, but it was so worth it. I chased him until he slipped suddenly. I wasn’t expecting it so I ended up tripping over him landing right on top of him. My breathing sped up and everything got quiet. We just sat there staring into each other’s eyes until John finally broke the silence.

“I think it’s time I gave you your present.” He said helping me get up first, then getting himself up.

He walked over to his truck and pulled out an acoustic guitar.

“I wrote this song…about you a while ago. I haven’t showed it to anyone else yet. I wanted to know what you thought of it.” He started strumming his guitar and began to sing

She thinks I'm crazy.
Judging by the faces that she's making.
And I think she's pretty.
But pretty's just part of the things she does that amaze me.
And she calls me sweetheart.
I love it when she wakes me when it's still dark.
And she watches the sun.
But she's the only one I have my eyes on.

Tell me that you love me and it'll be alright.
Are you thinking of me?
Just come with me tonight.
You know I need you.
Just like you need me.
Can't stop, won't stop, I must be dreaming.
Can't stop, won't stop, I must be dreaming.

And she moves in closer.
Whispering to me, "I thought I told ya."
And oh she's playing games now.
And I've figured it out now that we're, now that we're closer.
Two kids, one love
Who cares if we make it up?
Her voice is sweet sound.
Our clothes lay on the ground.

She moves in closer (oh, she moves in closer)
Whispers, "I thought I told ya"

Tell me that you love me and it'll be alright.
Are you thinking of me?
Just come to me tonight
You know I need you
Just like you need me
Can't stop, won't stop, I must be dreaming.
Can't stop, won't stop, I must be dreaming.

Remember the day when we started this.
And she made the shape of my heart with her hands.
We try to make some sense of it.
But she called me on the phone and said...

Tell me that you love me and it'll be alright.
Are you thinking of me?
Just come with me tonight.
You know I need you, just like you need me.
Can't stop, won't stop, I must be dreaming.

Go on and tell him that you love me and it'll be alright (I must be dreaming)
Are you thinking of me? (I must be dreaming)
Just come to me tonight
And she moves in closer (I must be dreaming)
Can't stop, won't stop, I must be dreaming