I Hate To Say This But I'm Stuck On Loving You, John O'Callaghan

PART 8

The cashier seemed to immediately recognize John because she smiled and pushed her chest out. I rolled my eyes and gave her daggers.
“Oh hey, John,” the cashier said.
God damn her voice was annoying. She was one of your stereotypical sluts. She had beach blonde hair, she had pounds of make up on, she was skinny, and she had really big boobs. I was surprised she could even stand up straight. Her bra size might as well have been an “H” as in “Help I’ve fallen and I can’t get up,” I smiled at the joke I made to myself and averted me attention back to their conversation. John smiled nervously.
“Hey…Gillian?” John sounded very unsure and confused. This Gillian girl looked at him with a blank expression before she responded
“My name is Jessica.”
I couldn’t hold it in any longer and I started laughing. Soon enough the rest of the guys except for John started laughing with me. Jessica shot me the death glare, then looked back to John and started smiling again.
“So, what can I get for you all?” Jessica asked.
I was horrible with decision making and didn’t know what I wanted yet so I decided to order last. Everyone had ordered already and I was making my way to the front of the cash register when Jessica said,
“That will be $47.89.”
I looked at her with a confused expression on my face.
“But I never ordered…?” I questioned
“I repeat, that will be $47.89,” she said much slower this time as if I couldn’t understand her the first time.
“Look, Jamie, we both know that Caitlin here never ordered. Now either you take her order or we all leave.” John piped up.
What? John was sticking up for me? That was…odd. I’m not complaining but I’m just really surprised.
“My name is Jessica!” she shouted through gritted teeth.
“My name is John and I don’t give a fuck!”
Now a fat, bald man was walking up next to Jessica. I’m assuming he is the manager.
“I don’t care what happened, but there is no place for such profanity here. We are a family oriented restaurant. I’m going to have to ask you and your posse to leave.” The man said.
“Pft, this place blows anyway. We can get a fucking sandwich anywhere we want.”
“Do I need to remind you of your language again, sir? Now, please leave.”
“Okay, I’ll go, but I’m not going because you told me to. I’m leaving because I choose to do so myself!”
John started to walk towards the door and we took that as a sign to follow him. John got to the doorway then stopped and turned
“Oh, and Mr. Manager, sir, I have one last thing to say and that one thing is fuck. Thank you and have a nice day.”
We all finally made it outside and John stood there expecting praise, but he got practically the opposite.
“Dude, what the fuck? I’m still hungry. What am I supposed to eat now, John?” Jared stated
Garrett, Pat, and Kennedy nodded in agreement while I stood there expressionless. John did that for me. All of that happened because Jessica was being a bitch to me. Why did John do that? I knew I had to talk to him to get to the bottom of this. I’ll have to find a way to pull him away from the group sometime soon.
“Let’s just go back to my house. I’m sure there’s something to eat.” Jared said like he was forced to.
We all piled back into John’s truck in the same seats we were in on the way there. Everything was pretty much the same except I didn’t say a word the entire ride home. I was too deep in thought thinking about what just happened. Time seemed to fly by quickly and we were back at my house faster than I thought. Now was my perfect opportunity to talk to John. The boys starting walking into the house and I pulled John out of the group without the rest of them noticing.
“Care to explain what happened earlier?” I asked
“What do you mean? It was nothing.”
“John, you and I both know that what just happened wasn’t just nothing.” I said using air quotes around “nothing.”
John grabbed the back of his neck and let out a deep breath
“Why are you making such a big deal out of this?” he asked
“I’m not the one who made a huge scene over nothing and got us kicked out of a Panera!”
“See? You finally admit it was nothing!”
I closed my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose with my thumb and index finger.
“I saw you with her last night.” I whispered
John’s voice was suddenly softer
“What?” He questioned.
“Last night, at the party, I saw you making out with cashier girl.”
John was quiet now.
“Yeah, I was on my way to tell you how I really feel.” I mumbled.
Holy shit did I just say that out loud? I mentally kicked myself and hoped this was all a dream.
“I mean I uh-“
I was then cut off by something I had wanted for the past two years. John’s lips crashed into mine. I was taken off guard at first but quickly kissed him back. I deepened the kiss and locked my arms around his neck. He pulled away quicker than I had hoped.
“I have to go…” he said, then quickly got into his truck and drove off.