The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 16

The next few weeks were spent in much the same fashion. Almost every day was spent in the company of one or more of the guys. Usually it was Jared and I, but sometimes Shannon and I would go shopping, or Tomo would teach me (very patiently) how to play acoustic guitar.

This was the best summer I think I’d ever had; I had made some amazing friends, we explored all over the city and we always had a laugh. I think my favourite part was when Jared bought over an acoustic guitar to my apartment and played me a bunch of songs. I had my own personal, one-on-one performance from 30 Seconds To Mars frontman Jared Leto. In turn, I played a few songs for Jared that Tomo had taught me.

I could feel every moment we spent in each other’s company made it harder at the end of the day when we went our separate ways. For me, the electricity I felt when he was around intensified every day. Sometimes I think Shannon knew, I caught him smiling knowingly out of the corner of my eye, or else looking significantly between Jared and myself when we were all together. But if he did know something about how I felt about Jared, he didn’t mention it.

One morning at the beginning of July I was cooking myself some dinner when a knock came on my door. I knew it must be one of the guys because I gave them a spare key card for the main doors to the apartment block so I didn’t have to keep buzzing them. Checking my food wasn’t going to burn, I left the kitchen and went to open the door.

“Hey RiRi!” Jared bounded into the hall and into the kitchen, not even waiting for me. I chuckled as I followed him.

“Hey Jared, what’s – Hey! That’s my food!” I interrupted myself when I saw Jared with my stirring spoon in his mouth.

“But it looked so tasty.” He tried to say with a full mouth. That sight alone made it impossible to be mad at him.

“So what’s up?” I asked, pulling out another spoon and joining him in eating the food out of the pot.

“Well, there’s something I need to tell you.” Jared said, setting down his spoon.

“Which is?” I prompted.

“Well, it’s been organised for almost a year but it was just finalised a few days ago, and, well...”

“Come on Jay, you know you can tell me.” I encouraged him; I’d never seen him have difficulty saying something.

“We’re doing four days of sold out gigs at the O2 Arena in London!” He said in a rush.

“WOW!” I screamed. That was huge news, selling out the O2 Arena was massive achievement, but selling it out for four separate occasions, that was colossal!
I jumped around the kitchen before launching myself into Jared’s arms.

“I know!” He laughed at my reaction, folding his arms around me to pull me closer. I could smell Lynx body wash.

“So when is it?”

“Next week.”

“Oh...wow, next week. And, um, how long are you going for?”

“Well, we wanna get there a few days before, then for the four dates, then we’re probably going to stay for another few extra days. So, ten days, I guess.” Jared answered.

Ten days in London. I had always wanted to go to the UK, to go to its capital would be a dream come true for me. Sometimes I wish I was a famous rock star so I could travel the world.

“So, make sure to pack plenty of underwear.” Jared added.

“What?” I asked incredulously. What on earth was he talking about?

“Well you don’t want to be caught out in the UK’s capital city without clean underwear.”

“Again, I ask: what?”

“You’re coming with us.” He stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Seriously?!” I screamed.

“Seriously!” He mocked.

I was speechless. Jared was inviting me to go to London with him and the guys, this has got to be the biggest opportunity of my entire lifetime, ever.

“Really?” I asked in a much quieter voice.

“Absolutely honestly. I know you’re not going anywhere, the guys adore you. Having you on this trip would make it so much more fun.” Jared assured me, taking my hands.

“Ahhhh!” I was suddenly at top volume again, making Jared jump back in surprise.

I threw my arms around Jared’s neck and gave him a huge kiss on the cheek.

“I don’t know how I’ll ever be able to repay you. This has got to be one of the nicest things that anyone has ever done for me. Come on, we got to get back to yours, I wanna say thanks to the guys!” I said, dragging Jared out of my apartment.

I can’t believe how good these guys were to me.