The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 15

*Jared’s P.O.V.*

“Guys, I think she’s asleep.” I whispered to my friends, looking down at the dark brown hair softly falling across my chest.

“Awww, how sweet.” Shannon cooed in a teasing tone.

“Shut up dude, what do I do?” I asked.

“Take her upstairs to the spare bedroom.” Tomo suggested.

“Yeah. Yeah, good plan.” I agreed as I shifted slightly so I could slip my arms underneath her
to pick her up.

She stirred slightly as I began walking towards the stairs. I stopped, not wanted to wake her up, but she simply turned into my chest and put her arms around my neck. Smiling to myself, I continued on my way up to put her in the spare room.

Placing her on the bed, she curled up on her side, her hair fanning out across her face. Reaching out, I pushed her hair out of her face, she looked so soft while she slept.
OK, now I was probably starting to sound a little creepy, time to go. I stood up and walked across the room. Switching off the light, I passed through the door and left it slightly ajar before going back downstairs to rejoin Shannon and Tomo.

*Regular P.O.V.*

I opened my bleary eyes to gentle sunshine streaming through a window to an unfamiliar room. I shot up from the bed I was in, wondering what the hell was going on. Slowly, the events from yesterday crept back into my mind. Did I fall asleep at Jared’s house? Well that’s embarrassing.

Slowly, I rose out of the bed and padded out into the hall. Judging by the weak sunlight, it was still pretty early in the morning. I made my way down the stairs and into the kitchen, I searched all the cupboards until a found a mug and some instant coffee. Boiling some water, I poured it into the mug and had my coffee black.

The shot of caffeine woke me up and made me more aware of the situation I was in. I had fallen asleep, probably on Jared, during the scary movies. Someone, again, probably Jared, had placed me in that bed. But I couldn’t stay, I had already grossly overstayed my welcome. Grabbing a pen and scrap of paper, I scribbled out a thank you note to the guys for scaring the crap out of me and letting me stay over when I fell asleep; and I would call them sometime later in the day.

I grabbed my bag from the living room where I left it last night and snuck out the front door and into my car, making my way back home.

*Jared’s P.O.V.*

I woke up to strong sunlight beaming down onto my face, it must’ve been about noon. Blinking slowly, I suddenly remembered that Riley was sleeping in the spare room. I jumped out of bed and pulled some pants on over my boxers before heading out of my room down to the spare room. I opened the door and my heart dropped, she wasn’t there.

I made my way down the stairs and into the kitchen, thinking that would be the next possible place she would be. Again, I was disappointed, the only person there was Shannon, drinking coffee and reading a piece of paper.

“Oh, it’s you.” I sighed.

“Thanks for that.” Shannon laughed, looking up from the paper.

“Where’s Riley?”

“She went home.”

My heart dropped, though I tried not to let it show.

“How do you know?”

Shannon waved the piece of paper in his hand.

“She left pretty early this morning.” He said.

“Let me read it.” I said, reaching for the paper.

“Nuh uh uh.” Shannon teased, holding the paper out of reach.

“C’mon.” I pleaded, feeling like we were kids again.

“Say ‘Shannon is the coolest person ever’.”

“No.”

“Then no paper.”

I launched myself unexpectedly at my brother. While he tried to save his cup of coffee, he lowered his other hand and I snatched the paper out of his grasp.

*Regular P.O.V.*

After I had showered, changed and settled into the sofa, I pulled out my phone and texted Jared.

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks again for letting me crash at your place. I didn’t mean to fall asleep.

I half-wished I was still there. I loved my place and my lifestyle, but I felt lonely now. It was quiet without the guy’s laughter. It was amazing how quickly I found myself at home around them, how much I had gotten used to hanging out with them.

ZZZzzzZZZzzz

I glanced down at my phone: one new message.

No problem, just be glad I was able to keep Shannon and Tomo from doing something horrible to you.
He joked. Well at least he wasn’t annoyed that I accidentally fell asleep on him.

Haha, thanks for that. I’m surprised the scary movies didn’t keep me awake from pure terror.

Yeah well, they weren’t that scary. Hey, you busy?

Busy now?

Yeah now.

Umm, no I don’t think so.

I wonder why he wanted to see me now? I just spent all the previous day with him. Not that I was complaining, at all, I was looking forward to seeing him again with almost a stupid amount of happiness. I was just curious as to why he seemed so eager on meeting again.

*Knock knock*

That must be the food delivery guys. I finally got around to getting in some more food, I had been living off ready soups for days.
I got up off the sofa and wandered over to the front door with my purse in hand.

“Hey, how much I do owe you?” I asked, looking down into my purse while opening the door.

“Well, it’s usually $100 a night at Chez Leto, but for you, we’ll make it $50.” An amused voice answered.

“Jared! What’re you doing here? I thought you were the grocery guys.” I exclaimed, startled.

“Well you said you weren’t busy, and I was bored, so I thought we could do something.” He said, making his way into the kitchen. I liked that he was comfortable enough to just come in, it made me feel like we were very close.

“But I have to wait for the grocery guys.” I said.

“Well then we wait for them, then we’re going out!” Jared said excitedly.

“Fine, fine.” I gave in.

“C’mon, now amuse me, I’m bored.” Jared dragged me into the kitchen where he had been stood.