The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 33

“Here.” I said to Jared the next day, presenting him with a small box.
“Wow, a box! It’s just what I always wanted!” Jared cried with mock enthusiasm.
“Open it you idiot.” I laughed.
He pulled it open and stared at what was inside.
“Is this what I think it is?” He asked, pulling out the small silver object.
“Yup.” I affirmed.
“Why are you giving me this?” He turned to look at me.
“Because, you’re here often enough anyway and it saves me from having to answer the door every time you come round. Plus, it’s always good for you to have a copy in case I lose mine.” I told him.
“Wow. I now possess a key to your home....this means I can finally come and watch you sleep.” Jared said in a very creepy voice.
“Weirdo.” I gave him a shove, causing him to almost fall off the couch.
“But seriously, thanks. This is a big thing.”
“It’s just a key.” I smiled, getting up to clear the coffee table of the rubbish it had accumulated during the day.

He pocketed the key and joined me in cleaning up.
“So. It’s Christmas in nine days.” Jared commented.
“Indeed it is. You got all your Christmas shopping done?” I asked.
“Almost.”

We sat back down. With one glance over at Jared I knew he had something on his mind. There was a crease between his eyebrows which told me he wanted to say something, and he was absentmindedly licking his lips, causing them become moist and shiny. Glad that he was distracted, I had to tear my gaze away from his soft lips, remembering when they were pressed against my own.

“Would you like to come over to mine for Christmas?” Jared turned to me.
“Pardon?”
“Will you come and celebrate Christmas with me and the guys at mine and Shannon’s house?”
“Are you sure? You don’t have any traditions with your family or anything?”
“Not really, there’ll all over the country, usually we do early or late Christmas whenever we’re in that state. It saves everyone money on flights. And I wouldn’t ask unless I was sure.” He smiled.
“Well in that case I’d love to. I wasn’t looking forward to spending Christmas alone.”
“Especially after having to spend your birthday alone as well.” Jared added.
“Yeah.”
“So it’s settled. You’ll come over Christmas Eve, have Christmas with me and the guys and we’ll release you on Boxing Day.”
“Three days? I’m not sure if you could handle living with me for three days.” I laughed.
“Try me.” Jared smirked.
“OK then. I’ll be over bright and early Christmas Eve morning.”
“Good.” Jared returned his attention to the TV screen, the crease between his eyebrows gone and a smile on his face. I mimicked his movements and let my gaze fall upon the sitcom that was playing.
After the show had ended, I stood up.

“Where are you going?” Jared immediately asked.
“The bathroom, calm down.” I smiled, tying my hair back and making my way down the hall.
“Hang on a sec. What’s that?” Jared asked, getting up off the sofa and coming over to me.
“What’s what?” I asked, turning to face him.
“That.” He said, turning me around and pushing my hair out of the way.
“Is that a piercing?” He asked, looking at the back of my neck.
“Yeah.” I laughed at the incredulous tone of his voice.
“How long have you had it?” His warm breath fell on the back of my neck, causing an electric current to run down my spine.
“About three years.” I told him.
“How have I never noticed it in the eight months we’ve known each other?” He wondered.
“Well I don’t usually put my hair up. Plus I have to hide it for work. You’ve never really had a reason to inspect the back of my neck.” I said to him.
“It’s pretty cool.” He said, his fingers gently brushing against the soft skin on the back of my neck, causing me to shiver slightly.
“Thanks, I thought so too.” I managed to agree shakily.

He stayed in the same position, calloused fingers moving feather light over my neck, occasionally brushing against the cool metal bar pierced through it. His soft touch was almost too much, my eyes fluttered closed and I had to catch myself before letting out a small moan.
Clearing my throat, I reminded Jared of the reason why I got up.

“Oh yeah, sorry.” Jared snapped out of the moment, his voice slightly husky.
When I returned to the living room, Jared was sat on the sofa with his head in his hands.
“Hey, you OK?” I asked him, moving over to the sofa.
“Yeah, I’m good.” He said, crossing his legs and turning to look at me.
“OK, good.” I smiled, before relaxing myself into the cushions next to him; he wrapped his arm around me and pulled me closer to him.
“You know, I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned how happy I am that I met you.” Jared said randomly.
“Me too.” I smiled up at him.
“I mean, I know we’ve had our moments where we can’t stand each other, but, Shannon and Tomo excluded, I don’t think I’ve ever been so close to anyone. I feel like you know me inside out.”
“Don’t worry; I’ll take all your dirty little secrets to the grave.” I teased him.
“You better, or else.” He smirked.
“Ooo, or else. I’m so scared.” I laughed.
“You should be.” He said.
“OK then.” I said simply, smiling at him before making myself comfortable again on the sofa.

We sat watching mindless TV until Jared looked at his watch.
“Holy shit! I’ve gotta go!” He exclaimed.
“Why? How come? What’s happening?” I leaped up, quite confused.
“The shops shut soon; I need to finish my Christmas shopping.” He grabbed his jacket and shoes, pulling them on.

“Ah, OK” I said, calming down.
“I’ll see you soon!” Jared said, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek before dashing out the door and racing down the stairs.
“Later.” I said quietly as I closed the door.