The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 35

“Wake up Riley! It’s Christmas!!” I heard an excited voice run through my door.
“Wha?” I mumbled.
“It’s Christmas! There’s presents! Come on!” Another voice joined the first.
“Five more minutes.” I pleaded; I really wasn’t a morning person. That and I had to wake up at about 1am to sneak downstairs and put the guys presents under the tree.

“Nope, I’ll pull you out of that bed myself and carry you downstairs if I have to.” A final voice chimed.
“Kay.” I sighed into the pillow, turning over.
Before I knew what was happening, a pair of strong hands had wrapped themselves around my middle and were hauling me out of the comfort of the bed I was lying in. With scrambling hands, I managed to just about cling to the duvet and drag it behind whoever was carrying me.
“Geez Riley, you weigh about as much as a piece of paper.” It was Jared.

I opened my sleepy eyes to a view which was shocking, but not bad at all. Jared’s pyjama-clad ass was swaying right in front of my face.
“Jared, your ass is in my face.” I said stupidly.
“You know you love it.” He teased, before setting me down on the sofa in front of the Christmas tree. There were loads of different shapes and sizes of gifts placed underneath it that I hadn’t noticed last night.

“Can I go first?” Tomo asked, bringing in a plate of Santa shaped cookies while Shannon followed with several glasses and a jug of cold milk.
“Open away.” Jared said, plonking himself on the couch next to me.
I was too tired to move or do anything yet, so Jared and I watched as Shannon and Tomo opened all of their presents. By the time they were done, Shannon was already sitting back using his massage pillow and Tomo was playing with his helicopter.

“This is awesome Riley, thanks!” Tomo exclaimed as the helicopter took off and zoomed around the room.
“Come on, time for you to open your presents.” Jared nudged me.
“What about you? You haven’t opened any of yours either.” I told him.
“Well then let’s open them together.” He suggested.
“OK.” I slid off the sofa onto the floor in front of the tree, pulling a random present towards me.
“This one’s for you.” I slid it over to Jared after checking the label.
“And this one’s for you.” He copied my actions.

We spent a few minutes unwrapping presents from Shannon and Tomo, thanking them and messing around with them before pulling out the last two gifts from under the tree.
“Merry Christmas Riley.” Jared said, handing me his gift.
“And to you.” I said, pushing over the gift I got him.
I carefully unwrapped the bow that held the lid on the box. But before I could lift the lid, something in the box moved. I immediately stopped moving, fearing some sort of prank present that would cover me in goo or something.

“What’s wrong Ri?” Jared noticed that I had stopped unwrapping the gift. He put his own unwrapped gift on the table and scooted closer to me.
“It moved.” I stated, not taking my eyes off the box.
Surprisingly, Jared just smiled to himself.
“Just trust me, open the lid.” Jared encouraged me soothingly.
Calmed by his voice, I let my hands pull gently at the lid, revealing what was inside. I gasped.

“Oh Jared! He’s so cute!” I scooped out the tiny grey kitten from the pillow in the box.
“I remember you saying once that you had a cat when you were a kid, that you were so sad when it died, so I got you another one.” He smiled.
The kitten looked up at me with big amber eyes and mewed squeakily.
“Awww!” I lifted him up to my face and rubbed his soft fur against my cheek.
“You’re most definitely the best Jared. My present sucks in comparison.” I said, not taking my eyes of the squirming kitten, trying to nuzzle my pyjamas.

“I’m sure it’s amazing.” Jared assured me, taking his present and ripping it open.

“It has 24 hours and one hand.” I commented, looking at Jared’s face.

“I love it Ri.” Jared smiled widely, putting the watch around his wrist.
“Really? It’s not too stupid or anything?” I asked.
“Definitely not. It’s great.” He moved over to hug me and the kitten.
“Aww, look at them, they’re like a little family.” Tomo cooed.
“Picture time!” Shannon announced, pulling out his phone and snapping a photo of Jared and me and the unnamed kitten.
“What’re you gunna name him?” Jared asked me, dangling a scrap of wrapping paper for the kitten to bat his paws at.

“I don’t know. My last cat was called George.” I said.
“As in George of the Jungle?” Jared asked knowingly.
“Of course.” I smiled.
“Of course.” He repeated, shaking his head.
“Give me some time and I’ll come up with the best name.” I assured them.
The kitten was the centre of attention for the rest of the day. He seemed to be fearless, he went after Tomo’s helicopter every time he switched it on and loved climbing up people’s trousers. After a few hours, he had completely tuckered himself out, and fell asleep on Shannon’s massage pillow.
After dinner, we sat in the living room with distended stomachs full of turkey and eggnog. Kitten was curled up on my stomach and Jared was sat next to me gently stroking him.

“If you guys get anymore cutesy I might hurl.” Shannon commented from the opposite sofa.
“Shut up Shan.” Was all that Jared said. Neither of us could take our eyes of the sleeping animal.
“Kevin.” I said.
“What? No I’m Jared.” Jared said dumbly.
“No, I mean Kevin for the kitten.” I clarified.
“Kevin? Kevin isn’t a cat name.” Tomo said.
“So? I like it. How many cats do you know called Kevin?” I defended my choice.
“None.”
“Then there you go. A unique name for a unique kitten.” I smiled down at the ball of fur.
“Kevin.” I cooed, stroking behind his ears. He started to purr loudly.
“See, he likes it.” I beamed.
“Kevin it is then.” Jared smiled at me.