One of the Boys

First Day

I walked to school today, my car was not here yet, I wasn't really into having my aunt drive me. I would have been down for my cousin taking me, but he's been on campus ever since I've been here. Basically the past two days. I know being kicked out of a school and being forced to move to a completely different state is usually seen as a negative, but it wasn't. LA wasn't new and my best friend went to this school, I was meeting her in front in exactly five minutes.

I sighed as found a bench and sat on it to wait, I just watched as people walked by. I had to literally fight the urge to yell at a skateboarder who flew by, I have never been a fan of skateboarders. "Hey, are you new here," I ignored it until the owner to the voice tapped me on the shoulder and then I turned. He was attractive to say the least, but something about the way he just came up to me shouted uber douche. "Are you going to say something," he said and I just stared at him blankly then smiled and threw out some ASL. I had only a slight idea at what I was saying, but I did know that I threw in the word douche because I actually knew it.

"Oh," he said taken back, "are you deaf." I took a slight pause and then pointed to my ear and shook my head while shrugging. "I'm sorry," he said hesitantly and then he looked around and looked at him expectantly. Then he took a piece of paper out of his backpack and wrote on it Hi, my name's Chris.

I smiled at this, usually guys aren't decent enough to stay around for a deaf girl. I grabbed the pen and paper and wrote Hey I'm Phylis. He looked at the name hesitantly and then put on a weak smile. is there a problem?

He grabbed the paper quick, No, sorry, do you need someone to show you around. I read it and it was a tempting offer, but how long could this really last.

I took the paper and I was about to gratefully decline his offer, but then Deana came. "God there you are," she said, "I never thought you'd be early Rea." Deana and I had been friends since we were little, she was on the shorter side with green eyes and brown heir, well now red, she had pale skin and looks like she got contacts.

I turned around and jumped onto her, "De, it's been so long, when did your hair get red."

"Dyed it over summer," she said, "you like."

"Yeah, of cou..." I started getting cut off.

"Excuse me," Chris said still sitting on the bench, "I'm a little lost." Yeah I wasn't going to be able to keep it in much longer anyways. I just had to talk, pretending to be a deaf mute is exhausting. De just turned around and rolled her eyes.

"What else is new," she said smirking.

"So your name is?"

"Reagan."

"And you're not deaf?"

"That would be correct," I smiled and turned to De, "this one's smart." I pointed backwards and we left the confused kid sitting on the bench. "Boy it's good to be back," I said taking in the California air.

"You know you are terrible," she said and I turned around giving a confused look. She shook her head smiling, "cutest guy in the class comes up to you the first day and instead of engaging in flirtatious conversation like a normal person you convince him you are deaf."

"But he is never going to forget that moment," I said with a confident smile, "besides not my type."

"Boy is your type," she said.

"Not that boy," I stuck my tongue out, "he was oozing ego, it was gross."

"Makes sense he's mr. popularity," she said and I rolled my eyes, "every girl wants him," I made a disgusted face, "and he's captain of the football team." I started to make a fake gag, but then it sunk in, damn he could have proved useful.

"Football," I turned eyes wide, "it's not too late to try out is it?"

"You aren't still into that are you," she said and I nodded, she sighed, "I think it's too late and no offense, but they aren't going to make an exception for a girl." I pouted and she smiled, "the team sucks anyways, not worth your time." I still pouted all you need is one amazing player, which I am to turn a team around. "So what have you been up to the last few years, how was the exciting life of Reagan Tanner."

"Nothing big, just kicking but in track and cross country, starting riots and getting kicked out of school therefore being banished out of the state by dear old mom," I said smiling thinking of how messed up my mom was.

"Wow," De sulked, "my life doesn't hail in comparison." I shook my head as we walked into a room full of windows. It was a really nice office and the woman at the desk was already expecting me. My schedule was typical a few classes lunch then a few more classes. "Well see you at lunch girlie," De said leaving me there.

"Great," I said to myself, "now to find AP English." I eventually made it to all my classes, no thanks to anyone. To say I was glad for lunch to come was an understatement, I loved lunches, I loved seeing the high school cafeteria dynamic. The smell of cliques, bitches and ignorant jerks floating throughout the room. It sucks and some people hate it, but personally I love it.

"Deaf girl," confused guy said running over to me as I walked over to where Deana was.

"The name is Reagan," I said turning around with a look of disinterest on my face.

He just stood there a second, but then he eased back into his element. "I don't know if you've heard, but I'm the captain of the football team," he smirked.

I rolled my eyes and turned around, "yeah I've heard."

"Woah, wait up," he said and I turned around once more just to humor him as he continued, "we have our first game on Friday and I thought you could come and then maybe afterward we could grab a bite to eat." He smirked a cocky smirk.

"No thanks," I smiled.

"Most girls would jump at this opportunity," he said. There it is, that's what I was waiting for the I'm the shit around here you're lucky I'm talking to you new girl.

"Let me tell you what," I said smiling a sinister smile, "I'll be at the game, but only to scrutinize every bad play you guys make and then I will go out with my friend and explain to her how good you guys might be if you had a decent player on the team. You are free to join us, but it may not be what you want to hear, captain." He just looked at me and I patted his shoulder, "nice talking to you."

I started walking over to De again, she looked like she was laughing and I just shook my head. "Hey, you're new right," a thin girl with fake blonde hair and an almost orange fake tan came up to me. I nodded my head and she continued, "you have awesome hair, great cheek bones and the perfect body." i looked at her completely lost and she rolled her head, "look we don't do this that much, but we think you would be an amazing addition to our squad."

"Are you serious," I said laughing a bit and then mumbling to myself, "what is up with this school." She nodded with a blank expression at my first question and I continued, "I'm sorry, but I don't really think I'm cheerleader material."

"Nonsense," she stopped me before I walked away, "as long as you can do this we have a spot for you, you've got the look." She did a little hand gesture while yelling, "go team." She took off the cheer face and then turned to me and said, "now you try it."

Oh I put on my cheer face and then gave a hand gesture, not one she liked and yelled, "fuck off." I tore off the cheer face, "I'm not interested, i have better things to do than prance around in short skirts."

"You are going to regret this," she said angrily walking away, but then back tracked to me, "and stay away from Chris and the football team, they're cheer property."

I put a thumbs up and said, "no problem."

Finally I got to the table and sat by Deana who introduced the table, "alright Rea this is Tyler, Jerry, Haley, Carl, Katie and Sarah." I waved to them all.

"Just one question," I said to De, "is everyone at this school insane." She just looked at me and I explained, "I was just asked out by el jocko and offered to join the cheer squad."

"Lucky," Hayley said and I just looked at her.

"What did you say," Deana asked.

"Duh, I said no," I said rolling my eyes at the thought of either offer.

"I love this girl," Tyler said and stood up and hugged me. I gave De a questioning look and she just shrugged, "any girl who turns down Chris Mills is a friend of mine."
♠ ♠ ♠
New story