One of the Boys

Nothing

"Wait," De said as I finished my rant, "you kissed him, I thought he wasn't your type?"

I rolled my eyes as if she could see, "I told you all that and all you get is that." She laughed on the other line, "it was a friendly peck, I thought we were friends, Hayden didn't do anything." I was practically yelling into the phone causing the people at one of the convenience stands to look over and anyone walking to and from the bathroom was giving me that 'crazy chick' look. "What are you all staring at," I yelled at the people who immediately averted their eyes.

"In my professional opinion," she said attempting to sound serious, "I'd say this is entirely your fault."

"What," I yelled at the little phone I had in my hand, "it was friendly, I would totally kiss you like that, you know it means nothing. And then he had to go and make it complicated, with like tons of freaking witnesses."

"You're the one who decided to kiss two guys," she said in an I told you so voice.

"I was on camera," I said, "have you ever been on camera, no didn't think so. People do stupid things on camera, I now understand why celebrities do stupid things, because the camera tempts them." She was just laughing, "De, I'm serious."

"You sound so ridiculous right now," she laughed, "you're freaking out over some little kiss."

"No," I said, "I planned for some little kiss and got something different. Besides it's not just some guy, I kiss guys all the time, in fact i made out with some guy from Nebraska like two days ago." I thought about it for a second and then shook myself out of it, "Anyways, kissing teammates should be off limits, or at least like that it should. This is why they don't have coed sports."

"But you just had to be on the team," she said and I could see her shaking her head.

"I know," I muttered.

"So it's settled, all your fault," she said and I nodded my head agreeing with the person who wasn't in front of me. I let out a sigh and let my head softly hit the wall I was leaning against. "So," she started, "let's get to the good parts, was it any good, what did you say after, what did he say after?"

"I was stuck in shock face after," I said biting my lip.

"Not again," she said, "how long, omg shock face that sucks."

"I don't know like two minutes," I said, "and he said nothing, just went back to watching the game."

I heard her laughter from the other side, "oh I wish that was caught on tape, shock face and being ignored." She laughed some more, "you must have looked stupid."

"Thank you so much," I said sarcastically, "I'm glad that in moments like these I always have you to make me feel better." I sighed as I hung up the phone. I looked down to where the team was sitting. Why did baseball have to be nine whole innings, oh the agony. I walked back down, I'm strong and I can handle this. I pushed Hayden over a seat so that there would be between us. I had to mentally tell myself not to look over, obviously it had no effect on me and I wanted to salvage what dignity I had left by pretending it had no effect on me. I was doing all I could, I made sure I was no where near him on the ride back to the hotel and then I figured I'd slip in the room, straight to shower and then straight to headphones and sleep.

I was almost home free, but life couldn't be that good could it. Our coach sending us off, "alright everyone get some rest, we're leaving early tomorrow morning." The groans and eye rolls were coming from everyone before we all turned to retreat to our rooms. "Mills, Tanner," coach said and I bit my lip, damn, "could you stay back for a second."

"Yeah coach," Chris said as if nothing happened.

"Sit down," he motioned to the couch in the basically empty lobby. We both did as he said and he sat down on the opposite side of the coffee table. This talk couldn't have been good, I was twiddling my thumbs nervously. This could only be one thing, Awkward! "Never in my twenty-three years as a coach did I ever think I'd have this problem," he said. It was apparent he too was unsure and uncomfortable.

Chris leaned forward, "no offence coach, but I don't really think there's a problem here." He shrugged and then sat back.

"Mills I will not tolerate intra-team dating," he said, "it can only lead to destruction, so whatever this is," he motioned at the two of us, "is over."

"There's nothing going on here," Chris said. I finally looked up to see coach look at me and I just nodded to agree with Chris.

"After what we saw today," he sighed, "I'm not sure I believe that."

I couldn't help it, it came out like word vomit, "it was his fault." I pointed at Chris and he just looked at me like I was crazy.

"With all due respect here," he said, "I believe you are the one who kissed me."

"Oh don't pretend you're all innocent," I scrunched my nose and glared at him, "if it was my fault Hayden would be here too. Is he here, no, I kissed him too, that was harmless, but no you made it not harmless."

"Not harmless," he looked at me as if I were insane and then turned to coach, "it was harmless, meant nothing. I promise coach you have nothing to worry about, right Tanner." I nodded my head, anything to escape this situation. Our coach just stared at us for a while and then finally shoed us away. Great more awkwardness, wait for the elevator and ride it up together. Yeah right we all know how that scene goes in the movies. I angrily made my ways to the stairs, nothing romantic ever happens in stairs. Creepy ax murderer tings happen and I like the sound of that a lot better. "What's wrong Tanner," he said catching up to me.

"Gee I don't know Mills," I said pretending to think about it, "oh maybe that I'm not aloud to kiss anyone else, but when it's you it's absolutely fine."

"Any guy in that situation would have done the same thing," he shrugged, "I mean you are kind of hot Tanner." He gave me a smirk.

"Once again I bring up Hayden," I practically yelled, "he didn't do anything."

"Well," he said, "I don't think this would be the first time someone questioned his sexuality.

I crossed my arms and gave a look of disgust, "you are so annoying." I shook my head and turned around throwing my hands in the air, "well this is nothing to get worked up about," I stomped up the stairs and then towards our room. "I mean it was harmless right," I was now talking in form of an angry rant, "and it meant absolutely nothing." I turned towards him because he had the room key.

"Are you sure it meant absolutely nothing," he gave me a suggestive look and I rose my eyebrow while shaking my head no. He nodded and then leaned closer and placed his lips once again where they did not belong. Another sneak attack. This time I bit his lip hard and then pushed him off of me.

"Jesus Christ," I said, "would you stop kissing me and just open the door."

He put his hand to his lip and then looked at it and put it back up. "you bit me," he said as if he didn't believe it.

"You bet your ass I did," I started, "and if you try it again the pain will be much worse and it will be resonating in your southern hemisphere." I nodded down just in case he didn't quite understand what I was implying.

"I'm bleeding," he looked at me like I was psycho.

I rolled my eyes, "stop crying and open the door."