One of the Boys

The Aftershock

"You love me," I looked at him unsure, "what," I shook my head, "why?" Nothing in my mind was allowing me to understand this and he wasn't helping out with an explanation. He just stood there considerately giving me time to process, but there just wasn't enough time.

"What," Mills pushed open the closet door and turned this entire situation into a bigger mess. I put my hand to my forehead and shook it in hopes that that might improve the situation or at very least make it disappear.

Brayden looked at me hesitantly, "what's he doing here."

"Nothing," I shook my head, "nothing at all, we were just talking." I put my hands up defensively as I approached my boyfriend. "I swear there is nothing going on here," I said, "he was only hiding so as not to give you the wrong impression."

"Why would I get the wrong impression," he looked at me eyebrows raised.

I bit my lip and turned to scratch my head to think, but Mills considerately took the lead on this question. "I think given our history," he gestured between himself and I, "it might make you feel insecure."

"I wasn't aware you two had a history," Brayden's hands balled into fists.

I looked at Mills, "I wasn't aware of this 'history' either." I went closer and shook my head, "this is just like you trying to ruin a good moment for me."

"If it were a good moment, you wouldn't have responded 'what', 'why'," he made fun of me and brought back my response to Brayden's attention.

He turned back to me, the truth hit him and he needed an explanation. When did I become the bad guy in this mess. "I like you," I shook my head, "but it's been 3 months and that's way too fast and I am not that great so I think my questions were valid."

"That's her nice way of saying, she doesn't love you back," Mills nodded, "because there's someone else."

"Dammit Mills," I looked at him, "would you stop putting words in my mouth, there is nobody else. Even tolerating you most of the time is a burden, liking you after some of the things you've said to me, after moments like this." I threw my hands out displaying the situation, "its not going to happen."

"I didn't say anything about me," he put his hands up defensively and then slid back into his smug expression, "that was all you, Tanner."

I opened my mouth to protest but then sighed and tried to calm myself down. This wasn't getting me anywhere. I put my arms up, "I need a moment." And with that I left the room and walked down stairs to rejoin the party. "Give me some good news," I looked at De, "anything exciting happen while I was upstairs."

She gave me a suggestive look, "I doubt it, you probably had more fun up there." She wiggled her eyebrows and elbowed me as if what she said wasn't suggestive enough of what she was thinking.

"I doubt that," I nodded my head and took a sip of the drink I stole off the guy walking by and then spit it out because it was disgusting.

"I'd say the most exciting thing that happened was Erica Russo passed out in the middle of the dance area," she pointed. I looked over and the blonde was still laying on the floor by everyone's feet.

"And no one picked her up or moved her," I looked at her appalled.

She shrugged, "Tyler tried," she took a sip and smiled, "then he fell and gave up." I nodded because it sounded like Tyler.

"Fight," some drunken idiot ran to the railing at the top of the stairs before running back. This is what people waited for at parties. Fights. And drunk girls to fall all over them, but as for De and I it was fights. This one, though, did not strike my fancy.

De turned to me with a smile on her face, "should we indulge ourselves in the show." I bit my lip and she tilted her head, "come on, you love them." She grabbed my wrist and dragged me upstairs. We pushed to where Tyler was and De smiled, "details please."

"Well it was just arguing at first and then the big guns came out," he said and then looked at me, "and if there's any real damage I'm holding you responsible."

"What," De and I both said. And while De was hopping up and down trying to catch a glimpse I went into defense mode. "Oh come on Ty," I said, "this is hardly my fault and besides you should have put away anything breakable."

"There's only so much I can move in such short notice, Rae," he looked at me.

"Dude," De looked at me, "two guys are fighting over you." She jumped up once more and then turned back, "this is so freaking exciting, what are you going to do."

"Well if I have to reap the consequences," I glared at Tyler, "I'm going to stop it." I stared pushing my way through the crowd and then I was right in between them pushing them apart. "What the hell is wrong with you two," I looked at both of them and then turned to Brayden, "I expect it from him, but not you."

"She doesn't think you're man enough," Mills added. And Brayden took another lunge before I pushed him back.

"Shut up," I turned around.

"He said you kissed him," Brayden said.

I turned around and threw my fist at him. "Are you mentally unstable," I threw another punch, "did you have a seizure," I threw another one, "or does your jealousy know no bounds."

I went to hit him one more time and this time he stopped me and pulled me closer. "You kissed me twice," he looked at me.

I puled away, "I kissed you on the cheek once, like two months ago, get over it. Since then all I've done is push you away, stop trying to get closer."

He shook his head, "I don't want to." This could not come at a worse moment was all I was thinking.

"Rae," Brayden pulled me back into the bigger issue, "I believe you, I love you let's go." He held out his hand for me to hold and I grabbed for it.

"Tanner," Mills chimed in, "just give it a chance." I felt like Jenna Hamilton forced to pick between Matty and Jake, but I didn't want to pick. I had no idea. I had no recognizable chemistry with either of them.

I put my hands up defensively and shook my head, "no."

"Come on beautiful," Brayden grabbed my hand.

I pulled it away and shook my head, "no, to both of you." I walked over to De and everyone looked at me the two boys included. "Good bye and good night, Tanner out," I said before making my exit and forcing De to exit with me.